Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

Default Nicki Minaj trying to hard and gets slammed by critics

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1615131
Harlem and Malcolm X’s daughter slam Nicki Minaj for online artwork that they call 'disrespectful'

Ilyasah Shabazz slammed the promotional image for the singer's new song, 'Lookin A-- N----,' and urged people to promote her father's legacy in a positive manner.

Don’t disrespect Malcolm.

That’s the message the slain civil rights leader’s daughter wants to send to pop star Nicki Minaj, whose use of Malcolm X’s likeness for her latest single prompted a backlash.

“Ms. Minaj’s artwork for her single does not depict the truth of Malcolm X’s legacy, is completely disrespectful, and in no way is endorsed by my family,” Ilyasah Shabazz told the Daily News Friday, two days after the controversy.

PHOTOS: NICKI MINAJ'S MOST OUTRAGEOUS INSTAGRAM PHOTOS

Shabazz, one of six children by Malcolm X and Dr. Betty Shabazz, called on parents and educators Friday to teach their children about the country’s civil rights history.

“It is our family’s hope that the true legacy and context of Malcolm X's life continues to be shared with people from all walks of life in a positive manner that helps promote the goals and ideals for which Malcolm X so passionately advocated,” said Shabazz, author of the memoir “Growing Up X” and a motivational speaker.

The Queens-bred star apologized Thursday for posting artwork for her new single “Lookin A-- N----” that featured an iconic 1964 image of Malcolm X standing at a window holding an M1 Carbine for Ebony magazine.

She has since taken the art off social media and her site.

“That was never the official artwork nor is this an official single,” Minaj said in a statement Thursday. “I apologize to the Malcolm X estate.”

Across Harlem, meanwhile, local leaders were also angered over Minaj’s insensitive cover image.

“I’m angry because that’s not what he stood for,” said Jacob Morris, head of the Harlem Historical Society.

“For his image to be misused this way, it’s despicable,” Morris said of the picture, which shows the revered leader holding a rifle and peering through a window.

Morris described the image as one of self-defense because at the time the leader feared for his life.

But Morris said the damage has been done.

“Put up some money instead of some phony words,” said Morris, adding that Minaj should donate to a cause that the civil rights leader would have supported. “It’s disgraceful to attach the n-word to him — flat out.”

Harlem community organizer Iesha Sekou, who operates student workshops through Street Corner Resources out of Harlem Renaissance High School, was also appalled by the use of the image. She said some students at the school didn’t think the imagery and racial slur were offensive.

“I think it’s horrible,” she said. “Look at all of the work that Malcolm X did. For her to use his image and the language that she used, it’s major disrespect.”

Chris Moore, a historian at the Schomburg Center for Research and Black Culture in Harlem, where much of the civil rights leader’s manuscripts are housed, called Minaj “wrong-headed” for her decision to use the historic image.

“It’s more ignorant than disrespectful,” Moore said. “She should pick up a [Malcolm X] book — and her fans, too.”
MightyWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

Default Re: Nicki Minaj trying to hard and gets slammed by critics

I love Nicki Minaj's response because it is so uneducated and downright stupid. http://www.bet.com/news/music/2014/0...new-track.html

"All the real n----s I know f--k with the song, so, if you b-----n' about the song, somethin' ain't right," she maintained. "I'm talkin about real n----s been textin' me like, 'Yo, I'm so glad you gettin' these n----s' asses!' I'm talkin' about n----s that really move weight, you know what I'm sayin'? It's crazy, so I don't know...if you've got a problem with it, you guilty of somethin' "

Old 02-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
D-FENS
Tell me what I Ced

She may be trying too hard, but you're not trying hard enough to spell correctly.
D-FENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-FENS
She may be trying too hard, but you're not trying hard enough to spell correctly.
Yes I noticed it too.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
nightprowler10
Hold the door

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyWhitey
I love Nicki Minaj's response because it is so uneducated and downright stupid. http://www.bet.com/news/music/2014/0...new-track.html

"All the real n----s I know f--k with the song, so, if you b-----n' about the song, somethin' ain't right," she maintained. "I'm talkin about real n----s been textin' me like, 'Yo, I'm so glad you gettin' these n----s' asses!' I'm talkin' about n----s that really move weight, you know what I'm sayin'? It's crazy, so I don't know...if you've got a problem with it, you guilty of somethin' "

WTF?
nightprowler10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

the single cover
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
TheSilentKiller
NBA Legend

Miley >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nicki Minaj
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
ROCSteady
One of One

Somehow I highly doubt OP gives two shits about Malcolm X legacy and jus using this 'story' as another reason to bash and draw criticism to contemporary blacks.

Lol I can't stand Minaj and her voice, rapping , etc. and my opinion on her was made a long time ago so this means nothing to me personally

You kno MightyWhitey jus covets negative attention for a uhhmm, certain sect of Americans. I doubt he sees Malcolm X with much reverence
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Somehow I highly doubt OP gives two shits about Malcolm X legacy and jus using this 'story' as another reason to bash and draw criticism to contemporary blacks.

Lol I can't stand Minaj and her voice, rapping , etc.

You kno MightyWhitey jus covets negative attention for a uhhmm, certain sect of Americans. I doubt he sees Malcolm X with much reverence
Hey if "contemporary blacks" need to use the N word in a description with Malcolm X then criticism is warranted. But you see I'm not the one that said something first. The daughter of Malcolm X did.
Maybe black youth should also be taught to not use the N word. A little hypocritical to what all those black human rights leaders fought and died for don't you think? Maybe Nicki Minaj should buy a book on Malcolm X. It might fix her vocabulary and she may even speak proper English.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #11
Burgz V2
Good college starter

Quote:

dear god......
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-

Them boobs jiggling

Have y'all heard Trey songz and Cassidy's response to the song?
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #13
16X
Banned

Meh. Who gives a shit what his daughter thinks? N*gga has become a term of endearment and I see no problem with the term being used next to a picture of Malcolm X.

I have no clue what "Lookin ass n*gga" is supposed to mean though. That's one I haven't heard before. Can someone clue me in? Does it mean looking to kill you or something? If so, I can see why people wouldn't like this.
16X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #14
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16X
Meh. Who gives a shit what his daughter thinks? N*gga has become a term of endearment and I see no problem with the term being used next to a picture of Malcolm X.

I have no clue what "Lookin ass n*gga" is supposed to mean though. That's one I haven't heard before. Can someone clue me in? Does it mean looking to kill you or something? If so, I can see why people wouldn't like this.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #15
ROCSteady
One of One

Quote:
Hey if "contemporary blacks" need to use the N word in a description with Malcolm X then criticism is warranted. But you see I'm not the one that said something first. The daughter of Malcolm X did.
Maybe black youth should also be taught to not use the N word. A little hypocritical to what all those black human rights leaders fought and died for don't you think? Maybe Nicki Minaj should buy a book on Malcolm X. It might fix her vocabulary and she may even speak proper English.

A little overdone to call out blacks for using n!gga as hypocritical... Shits been going on for decades and you yourself have hammered this point so many times it just is a big waste of time.

You're not changin anybody's lifestyle, causing reevaluation to anybody's behavior. You just sound redundant all the time becuz you have some big problem with Black America and what they deem is acceptable.

Basically, your opinions are more common than a dime a dozen, not insightful or creative or interesting. If u wanna make a difference about it, go mentor young black kids in person at a community center. All you do is repeat the same narrative over and over on a message board.

Last edited by ROCSteady : 02-19-2014 at 07:08 PM.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: