Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Is 5'10" tall to short for basketball

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    In shoes, yes he is six feet tall.
    http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...=0&pos=0&sort=

"Heights are from the Chicago predraft camp and were measured without sneakers.) 1. PHILADELPHIA - Allen Iverson, 6 feet, 167 pounds, G, Georgetown"- June 26th, 1996, Boston Herald

"Iverson measured in at 6-feet yesterday, compared to his college height of 6-foot-1."- June 4th, 1996 Toronto Star

"Measured at 6 feet and 167 pounds in the 1996 pre-draft camp"- January 6th, 2006 Los Angeles Times

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I called myself 6', but realistically am probably not quite 5-11 without shoes, and I was able to walk on to a pretty bad D1 team. I was also recruited by a handfull of local DII and DIII schools, and my best peek was some very minor interest indicated by Providence.

I was a very good HS player, I wouldn't call myself great, but I never felt out of place on a court ever with anyone. I was a three year letterman, two time captain, once second team all conference, once first team all conference and third team all county. Never an all state level guy by any means.

All that said, to play in college I benefitted from that fact that I was willing to bust my ass, not complain about my role, was able to be a practice asset because I knew every play from every position, and could run opposing offenses with only short prep, and be a big asset academically. I have no doubt that there were "better" players than me who wouldn't have made it, because they wouldn't have been willing to put in what I put in.

So to answer your question, no, it's not to short. Like I said, I've never felt out of place on a basketball court (at least from 16 - 28 years old or so, since then I've had four knee surgeries and haven't played much more than with little kids, and frankly don't feel that comfortable on stair wells let alone basketball courts).

And I've been on a court with Iverson while playing in the Rec at Georgetown, my buddy went there, and probably 5-9 if I had to guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I called myself 6', but realistically am probably not quite 5-11 without shoes, and I was able to walk on to a pretty bad D1 team. I was also recruited by a handfull of local DII and DIII schools, and my best peek was some very minor interest indicated by Providence.

I was a very good HS player, I wouldn't call myself great, but I never felt out of place on a court ever with anyone. I was a three year letterman, two time captain, once second team all conference, once first team all conference and third team all county. Never an all state level guy by any means.

All that said, to play in college I benefitted from that fact that I was willing to bust my ass, not complain about my role, was able to be a practice asset because I knew every play from every position, and could run opposing offenses with only short prep, and be a big asset academically. I have no doubt that there were "better" players than me who wouldn't have made it, because they wouldn't have been willing to put in what I put in.

So to answer your question, no, it's not to short. Like I said, I've never felt out of place on a basketball court (at least from 16 - 28 years old or so, since then I've had four knee surgeries and haven't played much more than with little kids, and frankly don't feel that comfortable on stair wells let alone basketball courts).

And I've been on a court with Iverson while playing in the Rec at Georgetown, my buddy went there, and probably 5-9 if I had to guess.
    Damn, thorp. What was AI like back then? Is he even faster looking in person?

Quote Originally Posted by elevensevenelev
    ...Loser black kids need to stop using all that street talk online. Get some friends hahaha.
    Right...b/c asian/white/brown people don't use street talk.

Made that high school varsity squad Shaolinswords's Avatar

Is to short a verb ?

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

The thing I've notice about watching him up close, both in the recs, and on the floor in the student section for GTown while at MSG (I've missed two big east tournaments in something like 20 years, and I got to see Soph AI go up against Frosh Steph in the preseason NIT when Marbury in The Garden brought the basketball roots of NYC to life), was that he moved so lightly. It's not just quickness, it's that he looked like he had no impact when he hit the floor, when someone hit him, when he got off his feet. It would be like pushing a feather. You can push it really hard, but it doesn't have the mass to build momentum to be moved. And he was certainly a blur.

I played against a lot of good players down there, a handfull of one day pros. I only saw Iverson that once though.

Banned

Talking Re: Is 5'10" tall to short for basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinswords
    Is to short a verb ?
    This is why Iverson is thinking of retiring. He shorted out, like a piece of faulty electrical equipment. As in... The act of shorting out; TO SHORT

I know he is listed at 6 flat but JJ Barea is 5'10 tops. I have stood face to face with him and there is no way he is any bigger than that.

Certified ISHiot.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    I've seen that picture a million times and it still makes me do a double take every time I see it.

Decent playground baller Samurai Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    is manute african for "really really black"? Man, if he played for the spurs they would call him the black hole when he entered the paint.

Banned

Talking Re: Is 5'10" tall to short for basketball

Quote Originally Posted by StroShow4
    I've seen that picture a million times and it still makes me do a double take every time I see it.
    How 'bout a triple take?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
    How 'bout a triple take?

Haha, I pull that picture up every now and again when I want to impress my students with something that completely defies explaination.

5'10'' is not nearly too short for basketball. I've never been a fan of correlating the likelihood of success on the basketball court to height. If you can play, you can play.

In other news, I somehow missed the connection between NBA heights and my own. In the NBA, I knew they're listed according to their height with shoes (right?) but I've always referred to my own height without shoes. . .so that kind of would make me 6'4'', which is pretty cool.

5'10 isn't too short at all. My boy Nate is something like 5'8-5'9 and made it to the Knicks. Same goes for AI,Barrea,Ty Lawson,and anybody else who is "short". Hell, when I was 5'10 I was playing against guys that were 6'2-6'4. It was never a problem. Not only that, but I could dunk harder than the 6'4 guy could.

Hellbound

AI isn't much taller than I am, despite what he's listed at, and I'm like a shade over 5'9" or so.

And as mentioned, Muggsy and Nate are both sub 5'9", along with Earl Boykins and Spud Webb.

But they were all tremendously skilled. Now Saer Sene had no skills whatsoever, but he was tall, and as such was a lottery pick. So if you're not really good at ****, you should be tall.