Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: What was Kidd like in prime?

He was completely NOT anything like Deron Williams

Yeah he took a last place team that had the most productive point guard in Marbury a 24 and 8 guard and converted them into a two time finals team.
    That's the funny thing. HE WON. A lot of people thought Marbury was the best PG in the game back then. Guy couldn't win shit. No impact on the game whatsoever outside of numbers.

Those Nets teams were... not good. Make the Finals with KVH and Kmart and Richard Jefferson and Kerry Kittles? Preposterous. And their Centers were atrocious. They had one who was an okay backup (his name might have been Williams; he was pale; I don't remember) but none of the others belonged on an NBA roster.

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    Compared to right now, yes he did. There are so many incredible PG's in this era that Kidd in his prime would only be borderline Top 5 PG in the league right now.

He would be better than Rondo but it would hard to make a case for Kidd over CP3, Westbrook, Rose, and Parker.

Then you have to consider up and coming PG's that might outdo whatever Kidd did in his prime in Kyrie and Lillard. Both of their ceilings are incredibly high considering their rookie seasons and Kyrie's progress in just his second season.
    I'm sorry but the bolded guys are shooting gaurds, and anything they ever do will not be comparable to what J Kidd could do on the court.

Compare those guys to scorers and shooting gaurds. Ala Marbury. Nice numbers, but predictable on the court, and low impact

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    That's the funny thing. HE WON. A lot of people thought Marbury was the best PG in the game back then. Guy couldn't win shit. No impact on the game whatsoever outside of numbers.

Those Nets teams were... not good. Make the Finals with KVH and Kmart and Richard Jefferson and Kerry Kittles? Preposterous. And their Centers were atrocious. They had one who was an okay backup (his name might have been Williams; he was pale; I don't remember) but none of the others belonged on an NBA roster.
    Aaron Williams? He was pretty pale. They had the White Mamba on that team too, he might have been a rookie

NBA Superstar

I like this thread. It seems often great players of yesteryear are given the glossy treatment, where everything they did is magnified to the level of godliness and the line begins to blur between what they were really like and what we wish to remember they were like. Kidd was in fact outstanding, but as you guys have mentioned, he wasn't perfect. Of his downfalls, like others said, I tend to remember how he'd randomly miss the easiest layups possible and I haven't basketballreferenced him yet, but I'm guessing his shooting percentage wasn't great from what you guys have said so far.

My favorite aspect of Kidd's game was his court vision and the means with which he moved the ball from point A to point B. Watching games with Kidd on the floor, you knew certain basketball possibilities were unlocked, so to speak. What I mean is, he just made unique passes, at unique times, from unique areas and as you watched it all unfold, it was like, "Wow, that play made a lot of sense and looked awesome. Why don't more people do that?"

To be clear, I don't mean he always made absolutely stunning plays. Sometimes the simple things were just as awesome to watch. For instance, I remember him pushing a break up the right side of the court. Vince Carter was trailing the play by 10 to 15 feet on the far left side of the floor. Still, Kidd crossed halfcourt and knowingly flung a leading, floaty, perfectly timed bounce pass across the court that allowed Carter to run and gather the ball precisely in his sweet spot (stepping into a pull up triple in transition). It seems so simple, but I was still left wondering "Who else would have made that play?"
    Last edited by Rake2204; 03-05-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Penetrated very well in pre rule changed league

amazing passer

racked up tons of steals, without too much gambling

Lock down D

emphasis on amazing passer

You wanted this guy on your team. Truly electrifying point guard that improved those around him

Kidd in his prime would only be borderline Top 5 PG in the league right now.

He really said Kidd wouldn't be top 5 today

This site never ceases to keep me from laughing to the point of tears

Compared to right now, yes he did. There are so many incredible PG's in this era that Kidd in his prime would only be borderline Top 5 PG in the league right now.

He would be better than Rondo but it would hard to make a case for Kidd over CP3, Westbrook, Rose, and Parker.

Then you have to consider up and coming PG's that might outdo whatever Kidd did in his prime in Kyrie and Lillard. Both of their ceilings are incredibly high considering their rookie seasons and Kyrie's progress in just his second season.
    Negged for being one of the dumbest idiot.

I am your soldier!

A bigger, stronger Rondo.

When Kidd was at Cal, I was at USC. I can remember my wife saying to me "is it just me, or is really that much better than everyone else?"

Wife Beater. But seriously he's way better than the numbers that he posted during his prime. Prime Kidd is still going to be a top 5 PG in today's league. We have plenty of talented PG's right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tking714
    He was completely NOT anything like Deron Williams
    I agree. The only reason why the comparisons even exist is bc their physiques and skin tone are the same.

Like any 6 foot 7to 6 10 white guys are almost automatically compared to Larry Bird (Adam Morrison, Tom Guguliota)

Very good NBA starter

I remember those Kidd Nets teams. They bounced my Celtics out.

Kidd in the early 2000's to 2006 was Fast, strong as an ox for a PG. very smart, good 3 point shooter. He also slashed to the basket much better for lay ups.

Walking triple double.

Higher IQ Rondo

NBA Superstar