Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #31
Godfather
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The United States of America
Posts: 5,716
Default Re: Who was the GOAT rebounder? Rodman or Chamberlain?

Rodman.

Can you say 40+ rebounds per game in the 50's?
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #32
AirJordan23
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,042
Default Re: Who was the GOAT rebounder? Rodman or Chamberlain?

I haven't seen Wilt play and I've only watched highlights so I can't just jump to a conclusion. But, I'll say that Rodman is the greatest rebounder I've ever seen. That includes players from 94-present. The man was just a beast, very fundamentally sound and agressive. His technique was great, his positioning as far as boxing out goes was great. He had amazing heart, keep in mind he was a undersized 4 but he still led the league in rebounding 7 or 8 times (I might be wrong). His awareness was brilliant and he had strong legs so he out-jumped a lot of people. He used to flatout out-rebound guys who were taller and stronger than him.

Charles Barkley also deserves a mention here.
AirJordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #33
Scott Pippen
National High School Star
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,261
Default Re: Who was the GOAT rebounder? Rodman or Chamberlain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
nobody came close to achieving what chamberlain did in his era, and that's the only way to fairly measure him.
In fact Russell and Wilt have almost identical career numbers and both have multiple 20+ rebound seasons.
Scott Pippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #34
Godfather
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The United States of America
Posts: 5,716
Default Re: Who was the GOAT rebounder? Rodman or Chamberlain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pippen
In fact Russell and Wilt have almost identical career numbers and both have multiple 20+ rebound seasons.

Russel didn't carry his team offensively.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #35
Scott Pippen
National High School Star
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,261
Default Re: Who was the GOAT rebounder? Rodman or Chamberlain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLollipop
As for the Chamberlain/Rodman discussion, Wilt used his athleticism and height to rebound as opposed to Dennis who took advantage of big men's center of gravity. He would throw them off-balance, and even at times outjump a man cause either he jumped too late, or jumped too early. Dennis has that certain instinct when it comes to rebounding, he's just so damn crafty when it comes to that. But, I think I would still rather take Wilt's athleticism over Dennis's instincts. It's close.. but I'd honestly take a 7'1 freak of nature. Dennis would come in a close second however.
Agreed 100%. Especially Dennis Rodman and his center of gravity advantage, a similar advantage that Barkley also had under the rim.
Scott Pippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #36
Scott Pippen
National High School Star
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,261
Default Re: Who was the GOAT rebounder? Rodman or Chamberlain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
Russel didn't carry his team offensively.
this thread is about rebounding.
Scott Pippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #37
twolvesfan
Banned
 
twolvesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,436
Default Re: Who was the GOAT rebounder? Rodman or Chamberlain?

future GOAT rebounder = a chubby white guy whose last name is love
twolvesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #38
Godfather
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The United States of America
Posts: 5,716
Default Re: Who was the GOAT rebounder? Rodman or Chamberlain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pippen
this thread is about rebounding.

If Chamberlain solely focused on rebounding and defense like Bill he would be averaging much higher rebounding numbers.

The only reason I am saying Rodman is because he was the most fundamentally and physically able rebounder ever. From all the highlights I have seen of him, Wilt got the rebounds because he was simply taller, faster, stronger than the player around him.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #39
Scott Pippen
National High School Star
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,261
Default Re: Who was the GOAT rebounder? Rodman or Chamberlain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
If Chamberlain solely focused on rebounding and defense like Bill he would be averaging much higher rebounding numbers.

The only reason I am saying Rodman is because he was the most fundamentally and physically able rebounder ever. From all the highlights I have seen of him, Wilt got the rebounds because he was simply taller, faster, stronger than the player around him.
Yes but that should not take away from him. It is very safe to say Chamberlain is in the top 3 (if not #1) all time in NBA history when ranking players' strength and overall athleticism attributes. But I agree it is very close comparison with Rodman.
Scott Pippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #40
ronron15
High School Varsity 6th Man
 
ronron15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 694
Default Re: Who was the GOAT rebounder? Rodman or Chamberlain?

rodman anyday
ronron15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #41
Odomize
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Who was the GOAT rebounder? Rodman or Chamberlain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pippen
Excellent post. Let us just look at numbers only, throw out insults, and not take pace or team role into account. Congratlations.
I LOLed @ this
  Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:17 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

NBA Free Agency

NBA Summer Leagues

Utah Summer League

Sacramento Summer League

Vegas NBA Summer League

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy