Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 05-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
gts
Sons of Antartica

Default Article: DJ Mbenga on Dikembe Mutombo

Long but worth the read

Quote:
Before the second round series against Houston kicked off, Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo's career had already reached an unfortunate end after an in-game knee injury during the previous round against Portland. And with yesterday's 89-70 Game 7 win shutting down the Rockets' postseason, Mutombo's NBA life is now officially concluded as well.

With that in mind, I felt it appropriate to pay proper respect to Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacque Wamutombo, whose achievements were even longer than his full name. Most basketball fans were aware of Mutombo's round ball credentials: Eight-time All-Star. Four-time Defensive Player of the Year. An absolute beast sucking up rebounds and swatting away shots, the latter achievement always followed by the infamous "not in my house" finger waggle.

But despite the laundry list of NBA excellence (and the genius that was "Clouds"), Mutombo arguably made a bigger impact away from the game. Check out the items littering his NBA.com bio section.
Honored with the President’s Service Award in 1999 and the NBA’s J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award in 2001
Acknowledged by President George W. Bush during the State of the Union Address on Jan 23, 2007, being applauded for his work done in support of African causes
Named one of the “Good Guys in Sports” by The Sporting News
Identified in 2005 by FOXSports.com as the most generous professional athlete, ranking him first over Lance Armstrong and Tiger Woods
Inducted into the World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame on June 20, 2007
Created the Dikembe Mutombo Foundation in 1997, a charitable organization created to improve the health, education and quality of life for people in his homeland of Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo
Focal point of his foundation has been the construction and opening of the Biamba Marie Mutombo Hospital and Research Center, a $29 million, 300-bed hospital in Kinshasa named after his late mother, which held its formal dedication ceremony on July 17, 2007. He has donated $15 million to build the hospital.
Donated $150,000 to help underprivileged children in South Africa
Participates in the NBA’s Basketball Without Borders program, as well as the NBA and UNICEF “United for Children, Unite against AIDS” campaign
Paid for uniforms and expenses for the Zaire women's basketball team during the
1996 CentennialOlympic Games in
Atlanta
honored as the international recipient for the National Civil Rights Museums Sports Legacy Award in 2007

Yeah, that's kind of impressive. It's hardly difficult to understand why Mutombo garners nearly God-like status in his native Congo. I spent a few moments before LAL-HOU Game 2 talking with Mutombo's fellow countryman/Laker center DJ Mbenga. Seeing DJ's face light up while praising Dikembe made perfectly clear how much he looks up to the Georgetown legend. The generosity displayed towards Mbenga early in his career reflects the manner in which Mutombo strived to bless his entire homeland. Acts that not only impressed DJ, but helped provide inspiration and confidence to establish his Mbenga Foundation. Here's what he had to say.

Andrew Kamenetzky: How aware were you of Dikembe's NBA career as you were growing up in Congo?

DJ Mbenga: I started watching him when I was so young, man. I didn't even know (about) basketball.

AK: Was he just that big of icon in your country, regardless of whether or not you were into basketball?

DM: Actually, I met him when I made the league. I knew about him before. I used to watch him. Like I said, I never liked basketball, but I knew him. Now we're really close.

AK: How difficult was it for you to see his career end with an injury?

DM: It was funny, because I always joke with him. I said, "If you don't want to stop, the basketball is gonna stop yourself." (laughs) But when I saw him fall down, I already knew. When I saw him fall down, I was like, "It's over." I was sad, and I was happy for him. At least he stopped his career on the court, and not in a bad way. Not like he was incapable of playing. He went in and played. He went in and proved (he could still play). For me, he ended so good. Like, beautiful.

AK: What has Dikembe meant to Congo, in terms of representing what you can do with your life? What can be accomplished?

DM: He just brought inspiration for a lot of things. Just a big brother for a lot of kids, because if you see what he did and even the way he talked, just to watch him make the league and do so well, it was an inspiration for everybody. Even when I didn't like basketball. And when I started playing basketball, he became a bg influence for me.

AK: You didn't start playing basketball at nearly as young an age as your teammates. Did seeing what Dikembe accomplished provide confidence that you could reach the highest level?

DM: Yeah. Of course. When I started playing, like you said, I was pretty late. But I would listen to him, and watch Hakeem Olajuwon. (Dikembe) started when he was seventeen. I was started when I was seventeen years old, too. So it was nice for me to listen to him, spend time with him, and talk with him. He would say, "Listen. I started late. I couldn't score. But when I know what to do, that's what I gonna do."

AK: DId you look Dikembe up once you came to the States?

DM: When I came to the States, my first call was to him. My first call. I spoke to him. And he asked me how I was, how do I feel? I'm like, "I just got here. I really don't know all this." He's like, "What you need to his is rebounding, block shots, listen and learn."

I said, "I don't know, Be. I was playing overseas before I got here. My game is different."

He said, "No. Do what I what ask you to do. Do what I ask you to do for now. And then when you get the confidence, (then work on scoring). Just do what I ask you to do." And I'm like, "I'm trying."

more here
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: