Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator
 
insidehoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,182
insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default What are your team and player observations so far? Who on the team is playing better

What are your team and player observations so far?

Who on the team is playing better than expected? (And what's better about them?)

And who has been disappointing?

And, how about the team as a whole, what are the key needs now that we're a month and a half into the season?
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
Maniak
... :\
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 26,261
Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What are your team and player observations so far? Who on the team is playing better

What are your team and player observations so far?

Team is playing well. Im liking what the FO is doing. I dont like Terry Porter though.
Who on the team is playing better than expected? (And what's better about them?)


Shaq is contributing, and pacing himself too. Hes getting the rest he needs and beasting once he hits the hardwood. Nash is the key point to this team, without him they are lost.
And who has been disappointing?

Amare. He was on my Top 5 MVP list in the offseason/preseason, but Terry doesnt know how to use him and overall he himself isnt playing the level he should be. Goran Dragic looks like he really isnt believed in so far, but I hope he can develop. Lopez isnt being given minutes, and when he is hes still trying so hard to fit in.

And, how about the team as a whole, what are the key needs now that we're a month and a half into the season?

Good move by the FO getting Jrich, this guy fits in well(unlike the haters said), and I like his playing so far. We need to make legit draft picks in the next couple years. Rebuilding mode is coming soon, and I really dont see the team keeping Amare. Id rather us having Bosh.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
drummer44
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 42
drummer44 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What are your team and player observations so far? Who on the team is playing better

I think Coach Porter is so enamored with building the half court system that the team early on lost it's mojo. True, they already knew how to play the run and gun system, so I believe coach wanted to hammer on the half court offense. But it got to a point that it was overkill. They're now just getting to the point that they're starting to flow again, as they should be.

Player observations. Dragic and Lopez look lost. Dragic looked better in the pre-season. His confidence is in the ****ter. Lopez also looked better early on. I think coach needs to find more playing time for him. Both should be getting at around 8-10 minutes a game, Lopez needs 15 in games Shaq doesn't play. These two are going to be needed at the end of the season.

Amundson should be put in for 3 minutes every time we look tired. He is the energizer bunny.

I think we'll find our mojo again. The next three games are very important to this team. We need to take two of them.
drummer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
DirtBag
Hero's Herald
 
DirtBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,721
DirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: What are your team and player observations so far? Who on the team is playing better

sure this season has been a bit of a disappointment but I don't think that is the players fault. They are having to change from a mentality they had for the past 3-4 years and then once they figured out that the slow down game was not effective Terry Porter realizes that they gotta run and let Nash do his thing on the court. Atleast Porter could man up and say this isn't working so lets go back to running but still demands defense from his players. The addition of JRich will be a huge impact on the Suns for the best. whether they Run or set up the half court he can make things happen. Amar'e just needs a little time and reasurance that he'll get his touches. If he plays with in this new developing offensive scheme he'll still get his 20 pts a game, and if he keeps crashing the boards that could go up 25-30 on either put backs or being fouled under the rim.
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
drummer44
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 42
drummer44 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What are your team and player observations so far? Who on the team is playing better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag
sure this season has been a bit of a disappointment but I don't think that is the players fault. They are having to change from a mentality they had for the past 3-4 years and then once they figured out that the slow down game was not effective Terry Porter realizes that they gotta run and let Nash do his thing on the court. Atleast Porter could man up and say this isn't working so lets go back to running but still demands defense from his players. The addition of JRich will be a huge impact on the Suns for the best. whether they Run or set up the half court he can make things happen. Amar'e just needs a little time and reasurance that he'll get his touches. If he plays with in this new developing offensive scheme he'll still get his 20 pts a game, and if he keeps crashing the boards that could go up 25-30 on either put backs or being fouled under the rim.


I think you're right,but I don't really see the defense being much better other than the rebounding. These next 4 games are critical. We're just starting to get our mojo back and the players are breathing a little easier and looking a little more relaxed on the floor. If we can win the next 2 out of 3 we may just go on a little run here and get back to the middle of the pack. I don't care where we end up as long as we get into the playoffs on a peak level this year. Hopefully we can play good enough to where our rooks get some experience.

In the beginning I think coach may have been the total opposite of D'antoni where he was more of a general than a laid back coach like Mike. Along with the change of offense this probably didn't sit well with the players. Then they started losing on top of that. 3 big changes from last year, that's hard to overcome and keep a good attitude.

JRich is just what they really needed. He can run and finish, he can get his own shot, or he can post up. Much more versatility than we got from Raja. He also shoots a better 3 clip.

Now, we don't have to worry about Diaw disappearing every other game. We get more consistency with Hill and Barnes at the 3. Barnes gets more burn at the 4 now and then, we're more athletic, tough, more boards. It was a steal what Kerr pulled off. We got lucky. I think we're a contender again!
drummer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
DirtBag
Hero's Herald
 
DirtBag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PHX
Posts: 4,721
DirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDirtBag is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: What are your team and player observations so far? Who on the team is playing better

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer44
I think you're right,but I don't really see the defense being much better other than the rebounding. These next 4 games are critical. We're just starting to get our mojo back and the players are breathing a little easier and looking a little more relaxed on the floor. If we can win the next 2 out of 3 we may just go on a little run here and get back to the middle of the pack. I don't care where we end up as long as we get into the playoffs on a peak level this year. Hopefully we can play good enough to where our rooks get some experience.

In the beginning I think coach may have been the total opposite of D'antoni where he was more of a general than a laid back coach like Mike. Along with the change of offense this probably didn't sit well with the players. Then they started losing on top of that. 3 big changes from last year, that's hard to overcome and keep a good attitude.

JRich is just what they really needed. He can run and finish, he can get his own shot, or he can post up. Much more versatility than we got from Raja. He also shoots a better 3 clip.

Now, we don't have to worry about Diaw disappearing every other game. We get more consistency with Hill and Barnes at the 3. Barnes gets more burn at the 4 now and then, we're more athletic, tough, more boards. It was a steal what Kerr pulled off. We got lucky. I think we're a contender again!

and I think you're pretty spot on too, except you gave Diaw way to much credit. He disappeared way more than everyother game. he was like 1 good game for every4-5 disappearing acts. now this year he seemed like he was better than the past but I truly believe he overstayed his welcome that just wasn't enough for the Suns brass to keep him. And if the right trade comes along Barbs needs to get the axe too.
DirtBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
drummer44
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 42
drummer44 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What are your team and player observations so far? Who on the team is playing better

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBag
and I think you're pretty spot on too, except you gave Diaw way to much credit. He disappeared way more than everyother game. he was like 1 good game for every4-5 disappearing acts. now this year he seemed like he was better than the past but I truly believe he overstayed his welcome that just wasn't enough for the Suns brass to keep him. And if the right trade comes along Barbs needs to get the axe too.

I love Barbs off the bench. He's really our only spark off the bench and if he continues playing the way he has, he'll be up for 6th man of the year again. He gets overmatched on defense sometimes, but his speed and points make up for it. He wears other guards out.

He's scoring about 15 ppg in about 25mpg. Not bad.

Last edited by drummer44 : 12-19-2008 at 12:02 PM.
drummer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy