Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default How good was John Stockton? Was he overrated, underrated or about right?

Discuss

Decent college freshman

Default Re: How Massively Overrated is John Stockton?

if he beats Walt Frazier that is garbage . . .

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    if he beats Walt Frazier that is garbage . . .

He does, get over it.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

He can't dunk.

Nuff said.

Considering Karl Malone got most of the credit for any Jazz success, not at all.

im a superhero

hugely.

i like how all the old school revisionists claim he'd get 15-18apg in this era. dude would barely get 8 if he wasn't in sloan system. its not just that. he wasnt as good a playmaker as guys like kidd, nash, cp3.

Decent college freshman

he gets plenty of credit. The fact that some people would put him as the #2 point guard of all time behind only Magic says enough . . .

If Chris Paul were to retire TODAY I would put him down as a better PG than Stockton. Longevity be damned, Paul is just a better player. Point. Blank. Period.

Stockton was never a FORCE. You have to be a FORCE to be considered as highly as Stockton is. Who cares about playing for a million years or racking up assists in an assist-inflating system (not saying he wasn't a great passer and playmaker, but the 14apg inflate what he was doing).

Underrated by people who think peaks are the only thing that matter, and who value flashy plays over the importance of someone who does what a point guard should do.

im a superhero

i think you put it best. stockton was never a player you feared. he's only ever scored over 30 points something like 8 times in his career.
    he could never really take over a game.

deron, rose, cp3, nash are all easily better players than him.

he was great at getting the ball into the post, best ever. though he wasn't some awesome player people make him out to be.

Banned

after watching Deron all his career, and watching Stockton almost all his career, I can say with certainty there isn't a case to be made for Deron over Stockton. He's more athletic. Has better handles in terms of using them to score, but does nothing else better, or even relatively close in most facets.

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    Discuss

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Stockton was barely a top 10 player for most of his playing years, but apparently in retirement he is an immortal legend.

im a superhero

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    after watching Deron all his career, and watching Stockton almost all his career, I can say with certainty there isn't a case to be made for Deron over Stockton. He's more athletic. Has better handles in terms of using them to score, but does nothing else better, or even relatively close in most facets.
    better playmaker, a good man defender, better rebounder.

i dont know how anyone could take stockton over deron. he'd average 12 odd assists playing with malone, be a much bigger threat at scoring and is a solid defender.

any team would be better with him on it.

Decent college freshman

yeah, honestly, there is a lot of room for improvement with Derrick Rose with certain details of the game like how he handles doubles off screens and how he passes in the pick and roll, and shooting sub 30% from three taking a bunch a game in the playoffs is not going to cut it (even though I know part of the reason he was shot jacking was because his team desperately needed the spacing) but overall I think he'll EASILY end up the better player than Stockton.

He'll probably never have the passing ability that Stockton had, but Rose controls the game in his own way. He's good about putting pressure on the defense and controlling the pace of the game and those are point guard skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Stockton was barely a top 10 player for most of his playing years, but apparently in retirement he is an immortal legend.