Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #1651
bladefd
Great college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: ☆NBA General FA/Trade Ideas | Rumors | Offseason | Discussion | Roster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
So from what I hear, he was not impressed with the basketball portion of the pitch. Too much about how the city of Los Angeles benefits his brand, not how they will win on the court. Houston impressed him because of their focus on analytics. So it seems the whole living in Los Angeles attraction is gone. I feel the pitch should be about both sides, basketball reasons and how they can bike their brand. Unfortunately there is not much basketball things to pitch. Lakers living in the past where other teams are showing them the future

True.

I think all that can be done now is to get Greg Monroe. He is our best bet to build a future around Monroe, Randle, and Russell.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM   #1652
dd24
NBA lottery pick

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: ☆NBA General FA/Trade Ideas | Rumors | Offseason | Discussion | Roster

Quote:
So from what I hear, he was not impressed with the basketball portion of the pitch. Too much about how the city of Los Angeles benefits his brand, not how they will win on the court. Houston impressed him because of their focus on analytics. So it seems the whole living in Los Angeles attraction is gone. I feel the pitch should be about both sides, basketball reasons and how they can bike their brand. Unfortunately there is not much basketball things to pitch. Lakers living in the past where other teams are showing them the future
He already lives in LA. Lamarcus has his house in Orange County. I don't think they need to sell him on the area lol. That's why he's having all his meetings here in SoCal. I just think the Lakers are missing on these FA's because most don't go anywhere, they take the money. Big time FA's rarely bolt their team.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #1653
bladefd
Great college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

....And you can cross Brook Lopez off too as he is returning to the Nets.

If we don't get Greg Monroe then this free-agency has been a failure. He is our plan C.

Anyone think DeAndre Jordan is worth it? Everyone used hack-a-Jordan on him until they had to bench the guy. I'm not of the mindset that he can help us reach the next level. He must improve his FT shooting up to at least 55% to 60%.. What's the point if you have no choice but to bench him in 4th quarters and OT?

Last edited by bladefd : Yesterday at 08:30 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #1654
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
He already lives in LA. Lamarcus has his house in Orange County. I don't think they need to sell him on the area lol. That's why he's having all his meetings here in SoCal. I just think the Lakers are missing on these FA's because most don't go anywhere, they take the money. Big time FA's rarely bolt their team.

I was taking about the lifestyle in LA in terms of opportunities, endorsements etc. even that pitch isn't working anymore bc NBA has become global and you don't need big markets to earn big $$ through endorsements
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM   #1655
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd

If we don't get Greg Monroe then this free-agency has been a failure. He is our plan C.

Anyone think DeAndre Jordan is worth it? Everyone used hack-a-Jordan on him until they had to bench the guy. I'm not of the mindset that he can help us reach the next level. He must improve his FT shooting up to at least 55% to 60%.. What's the point if you have no choice but to bench him in 4th quarters and OT?

Him alone won't take it to next level. But it would be start and they would have ample cap next season. He is still young, if he can somehow get his ft% above 50% he would be so much more effective. Overall, he is a impact player. He impacts the game with his rebounds, defense and is one of the elite pick and roll players
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #1656
dd24
NBA lottery pick

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I was taking about the lifestyle in LA in terms of opportunities, endorsements etc. even that pitch isn't working anymore bc NBA has become global and you don't need big markets to earn big $$ through endorsements
If you're Curry or Durant. The Lakers still have a unique situation with Time Warner that could really make a stars brand much bigger. If you're a superstar then yes you will get deals anywhere in any market you play in. I think for a star to get to that next level though, being in a place like LA helps a ton.
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM   #1657
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

I think with the ever growing brand of the NBA, the need to go to a market to grow their brand is becoming less and less important. You grow your brand by winning, and that's simply not what the Lakers can offer. You are right, it can help a stars brand but losing in a big market even with the time warner deal is not all that enticing.
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #1658
dd24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
I think with the ever growing brand of the NBA, the need to go to a market to grow their brand is becoming less and less important. You grow your brand by winning, and that's simply not what the Lakers can offer. You are right, it can help a stars brand but losing in a big market even with the time warner deal is not all that enticing.
But with LMA they wouldn't be losing.....

I blame a poor front office. It has nothing to do with the rest of that stuff.

Last edited by dd24 : Yesterday at 10:08 PM.
Old Today, 12:45 AM   #1659
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Lakers91 has decent reputationLakers91 has decent reputation

Though obviously not confirmed, speculation is not sounding good following meetings with both Jordan and Aldridge, while apparently early on it was really well with Aldridge. Seems it's, not sounding like it was an absolute disaster, sounds like there was little focus on the opportunities and what the Lakers what to rebuild to get back into being contenders and rather simply on being Los Angeles (I.E the lazy approach instead of focusing on the team and what to build with the natural benefit of being a big market). Presentation was apparently underwhelming to Deandre Jordan too...amazing (if true). Especially with DJ or not it doesn't matter if everyone wants him to be signed or not, still matters that the presentations by reports at this stage were underwhelming to both.

Outdated pitch honestly by the sound of it, put in some effort instead of relying on the city focus on the on floor product and plans to improve and utilise players/where they will fit in, if it's true that there was far more emphasis on the city that's just plain lazy presenting, sure as part of a balanced if even minor part 'oh yeah it's LA; big city, more marketing opportunities'...when big markets aren't as majorly defining as they used to be you don't keep the focus on it, you focus on the chance to grow with a young core (even if it's after a bad year it's what the future is focused on and also the fact Kobe is potentially retiring etc). This is on the basis that the reports are correct that it is indeed what happened or what was focused on. (Upon reading it seems most have beat me to it noting similar...darn time zone differences :P)
Lakers91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:51 AM   #1660
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Lakers91 has decent reputationLakers91 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd

Depends on how much, offensively he'd need a very good point guard for him to be any use offensively, his free throw shooting is very average as everyone knows, he's pretty much the best rebounder in the game, his defense is good (maybe a little overhyped compared to actual output but still good), I think it'd be pretty worth it depending on the rest of the time.

I am more worried honestly about the effect it will have with both Aldridge and Jordan stating the presentations and pitches were poor. I'm worried that then sets a precedent that will continue that not only is the team in rebuilding that also the front office especially when it comes to pitching talent are stuck in the past (If they said no because they think other teams have superior talent that's not as damaging in my opinion but if they change their mind based on a terrible pitch which seems Aldridge did...that does really concern me what the FO's mindset is). Maybe that's overthinking the situation but you never want negative things like that to be said and it could be seen by others as the front office being outdated...and for a team trying to attract talent and rebuild that's not a label you want when you are considering which front office is better suited on building teams...a lot of free agents will be in a 'what have you done for me lately' mindset in terms of building a team, granted 2012 acquiring talent though it didn't work out in Howard and Nash showed promise (didn't work out but still)...but now that's 2-3 years ago now...a free agent may well think the front office and vision is indeed past it when it comes to acquiring/convincing talent to join. This could all be false reporting and my whole last two posts will be totally wrong I honestly hope it's the case (that I am wrong) but it'd be worrying if it is correct.
Lakers91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #1661
dd24
NBA lottery pick

I don't think it's the what as much as it is the who. All teams say they want to win. All teams say they can grow the players brand. I would have to imagine that with Jimmy being the guy making the pitch these players see right away that he's a moron. It doesn't matter what he's saying, he just can't say it as well as others. It's not the pitch, it's Jimmy.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: