Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-22-2009, 03:36 AM   #1
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year

Default Lebron/Carmelo rivalry?

This hasn't seemed like a rivalry since their rookie season, but it's very possible that they could meet in the finals. Carmelo is now looking like he's reaching the elite level that Wade, Kobe and Lebron are at. He's had 5 straight 30 point games in the playoffs including a 41 point game and a 39 point game. During those 5 games he's averaged 35.0 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 3.2 and 1.8 spg while shooting 50.8% from the floora nd 48.0% on 3's. He just led Denver to a big gam 2 win over the Lakers.

Carmelo's playoff stats

28.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 4.3 apg, 1.8 spg, 49.0 FG%, 42.9 3P%, 81.3 FT%, 38.5 mpg, 12 games

I'm NOT stating that Carmelo is or will be as good as Lebron, but with them possibly meeting in the finals, being from the same draft class, being virtually the same age, playing the same position ect. this could turn out to be a great rivalry like some thought it would be in 2003.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
w00terz
FACT

Default Re: Lebron/Carmelo rivalry?

w00terz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
B-Easy
Local High School Star

his playoffs numbers are identical to Kobes, even a little better. Nice to see Melo doing his thing.
B-Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:20 AM   #4
Toizumi
veteran savvy

There was something of a rivalry (a friendly one) in their rookie season.. The ROY went to LeBron but a lot of people felt that they should've been co-rookies of the year. After that year, LeBron exploded and left Melo behind him. They've been playing eachother since high school, so eventhough the media doesnt pay much attention to the matchup, I think they both want to outplay the other. If they'd meet in the finals this year, the media are definitely gonna hype it up though.
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:26 AM   #5
B-Easy
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toizumi
There was something of a rivalry (a friendly one) in their rookie season.. The ROY went to LeBron but a lot of people felt that they should've been co-rookies of the year. After that year, LeBron exploded and left Melo behind him. They've been playing eachother since high school, so eventhough the media doesnt pay much attention to the matchup, I think they both want to outplay the other. If they'd meet in the finals this year, the media are definitely gonna hype it up though.

wow that video brought back memories, i downloaded that on Kazaa way back then. I remember the Heat were in the lottery and i wanted either Melo or Bron, they fell to 5 and got Wade...didnt turn out too bad. i had huge expectations for Melo and Bron and they all exceeded it. Same with Wade, i was hoping hed turn out to be like Steve Francis.
B-Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:27 AM   #6
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year

I actually thought that Carmelo had the better rookie season, but of course Lebron has been better every season since then. Although I thought it was close between the 2 in 2006-2007.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:28 AM   #7
Toizumi
veteran savvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Easy
wow that video brought back memories, i downloaded that on Kazaa way back then. I remember the Heat were in the lottery and i wanted either Melo or Bron, they fell to 5 and got Wade...didnt turn out too bad. i had huge expectations for Melo and Bron and they all exceeded it. Same with Wade, i was hoping hed turn out to be like Steve Francis.

I was a big stevie fan for his first 4 seasons or so. I wouldnt wish for any player to turn out the way he did though
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #8
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
I actually thought that Carmelo had the better rookie season, but of course Lebron has been better every season since then. Although I thought it was close between the 2 in 2006-2007.
Same here, I remember being on ISH at the time arguing that Melo was the real ROY and LeBron only won it because the media was obsessed with making him the next Jordan.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
Magic_Johnson
Banned

Melo deserved the ROY award in 2004. The nuggets did make the PO that year
Magic_Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #10
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Johnson
Melo deserved the ROY award in 2004. The nuggets did make the PO that year

But LeBron is the 3rd NBA and Last Rookie to averaged 20-5-5 in the Regular Season, and the Cavs had a 18 games improvement in the 2003-04 NBA Season.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #11
Magic_Johnson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
But LeBron is the 3rd NBA and Last Rookie to averaged 20-5-5 in the Regular Season, and the Cavs had a 18 games improvement in the 2003-04 NBA Season.

well obviously Lebron > melo but i still think melo's impact on the nuggets (in his 1st year) was more impressive.
Magic_Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
VCMVP1551
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23

Yeah, but Carmelo won more games in a tougher conference and made it to the playoffs. Plus Carmelo shot noticeably higher percentages in all shooting categories, Carmelo averaged more rebounds and his 21 ppg scoring average equalled Lebron's 20.9 scoring average but Melo did it in 3 less minutes per game.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:10 AM   #13
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Easy

With how he is now, I don't think you'd want Wade to turn out like him. Just saying...

Anyway, it would really be exciting if these two battle it out in the finals. I honestly agree with you that Melo probably won't be as good as Bron, but Melo is just on a roll right now and since they've been having these duels since high school, it would be awesome to see it in a championship level. Honestly, I'm going to go with Melo and the Nuggets on that one.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #14
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
Yeah, but Carmelo won more games in a tougher conference and made it to the playoffs. Plus Carmelo shot noticeably higher percentages in all shooting categories, Carmelo averaged more rebounds and his 21 ppg scoring average equalled Lebron's 20.9 scoring average but Melo did it in 3 less minutes per game.

Wow I still remember having this argument. Just to respond though, Melo's team added several players that off-season (Kenyon Martin, Andre Miller, Marcus Camby, etc.) whereas Bron was the only major pre-season additon for the Cavs. They actually traded away talent during the year (trading Miles for Jeff McInnis, and Ricky Davis for Eric Williams and Tony Battie) but still improved 18 games. I don't see how team success favors Melo.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #15
jinsanity
I usually hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
Wow I still remember having this argument. Just to respond though, Melo's team added several players that off-season (Kenyon Martin, Andre Miller, Marcus Camby, etc.) whereas Bron was the only major pre-season additon for the Cavs. They actually traded away talent during the year (trading Miles for Jeff McInnis, and Ricky Davis for Eric Williams and Tony Battie) but still improved 18 games. I don't see how team success favors Melo.

No K-Mart came to Denver in Melo's sophomore year. Marcus Camby came to Denver from the Knicks along with Nene in the Antonio McDyess trade the year before Melo was drafted. Andre Miller was an free agent, so that part is true.

Well Melo's team won more games than Lebron and this is in the much tougher western conference. Likewise, Melo LED his team to the playoffs, and this is in the much tougher western conference as well. Both teams had an equally sh*t record(17wins) before either of them got there, so Denver had a better improvement than Cleveland that year in the wins department.

As for talent level sorounding him? Slight edge to Melo, but Lebron did have Carlos Boozer (in his sophomore year, who had improved tremendously) who was better than any of Melo's teammates that year. Alot of Cavs fans towards the end of the season were excited about the Boozer+ Bron duo. Unfortunately, Boozer dogged the team and signed with Utah. Remember Boozer got picked for the Athens Olympics after that year.

I can't remember the stats exactly but Melo pretty much had a slight edge over Lebron in pretty much all(or most) catergories except assists.(where Lebron had a more substaincial lead). So statistically you could say they were equal.
jinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: