Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Any outdoor grillers here?

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    I go basic. Kingsford charcoal and a basic grill. Those gas tanks make me nervous.

I like to make boneless chicken legs with bbq sauce, carne asada marinated in lemon juice and season salt...and boneless pork chops marinated in teriyaki sauce. I also sometimes throw some corn on their or some nopales.
    Need to try that carne asada.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I am old fashioned , and use charcoal , and a Weber , Middle size kettle.

Perfect for 1 to 6 people.

I can't imagine grilling with gas,, it just isn't grilling , it is just cooking outside.

People are scared to get dirty , and that is pathetic.

My folks as well as me - used to cook over a wooden fire.

Steaks, brats , burgers , veggies.. bread, all done.
    I also grill wild pheasants, but they are cooked inside , then the on the barbie
    with Baby Rays for 2 minutes/

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    I am old fashioned , and use charcoal , and a Weber , Middle size kettle.

Perfect for 1 to 6 people.

I can't imagine grilling with gas,, it just isn't grilling , it is just cooking outside.

People are scared to get dirty , and that is pathetic.

My folks as well as me - used to cook over a wooden fire.

Steaks, brats , burgers , veggies.. bread, all done.
    I also grill wild pheasants, but they are cooked inside , then the on the barbie
    with Baby Rays for 2 minutes/

My man

Anyway, pork butt I did over the weekend was fantastic. Was on the weber slow cooking for about 9 hrs - rested for 2 hrs. Friends I had over loved it. Got leftovers tonight.

Gonna take a step back from the long cooks I think and get back to maybe tasty burgers, tasty steaks etc. Or shorter cooks. Can't be spending every weekend doing long ass cooks.

Thinking maybe some skirt steak or tri tip.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

90% of these retards can barely type their own names, but they are going to be able to grill and season a piece of delicious slice of meat? Ugh. GO fukk and kill your mother, OP. Or better yet...stand in the corner and watch like the little cuck puss boy you are while I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    90% of these retards can barely type their own names, but they are going to be able to grill and season a piece of delicious slice of meat? Ugh. GO fukk and kill your mother, OP. Or better yet...stand in the corner and watch like the little cuck puss boy you are while I do it.

Putting in that work smoke dog....

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

the thread inspired me. i made my first brisket this year and it came out incredible.

11 lbs, trimmed down about 2 pounds worth of fat. Smoked for roughly 12 hours.

Anybody here ever mess around with a kamado style grill? They seem interesting.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Outdoor grills give you cancer so no

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98
    Outdoor grills give you cancer so no
    umm what

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    umm what
    He

What does this thread even mean in the first place? Doesn't grilling imply you are outside in the first place? Where are all these indoor grillers, straight_altin?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    My man

Anyway, pork butt I did over the weekend was fantastic. Was on the weber slow cooking for about 9 hrs - rested for 2 hrs. Friends I had over loved it. Got leftovers tonight.

Gonna take a step back from the long cooks I think and get back to maybe tasty burgers, tasty steaks etc. Or shorter cooks. Can't be spending every weekend doing long ass cooks.

Thinking maybe some skirt steak or tri tip.

Nice. Pork butt is traditional for Carolina BBQ. I also use a webber kettle. Here's a tip I learned a couple of years ago: The smoke only penetrates the meat for the first hour or so. So if you don't have time to hang around to keep adding charcoal here's a shortcut:

Get the coals going and pushed to one side. Add soaked hickory wood chunks. Smoke the pork butt for 1-2 hours then transfer to a roasting pan with a little water or cider in the bottom. Cover with foil and place in a 200 degree oven for 8-10 hours.

I've tried this method as well as traditional smoking and I can't tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Nice. Pork butt is traditional for Carolina BBQ. I also use a webber kettle. Here's a tip I learned a couple of years ago: The smoke only penetrates the meat for the first hour or so. So if you don't have time to hang around to keep adding charcoal here's a shortcut:

Get the coals going and pushed to one side. Add soaked hickory wood chunks. Smoke the pork butt for 1-2 hours then transfer to a roasting pan with a little water or cider in the bottom. Cover with foil and place in a 200 degree oven for 8-10 hours.

I've tried this method as well as traditional smoking and I can't tell the difference.
    Finished off the leftovers last night - think I got a lot of cayenne pepper seasoning in the last of the leftovers based on what I had to do this morning.

I love pulled pork and ashamed to say about as much as brisket. Putting coleslaw on it ruins it though - that's some carolina nonsense.

I never really had to add too much charcoal to my grill. I use the minion method and use kingford professional charcoal which burn for quite awhile. That brisket I did for 12 hrs and only added more coals once.

What I do is, I put a bunch of unlit coals on one side and put a 1/4-1/2 chimney of lit charcoal on top. This 1/4-1/2 chimney will then get your grill to the starting temperature real quick (250-275 F) instead of fighting to try and bring the temperature down after. Although, I do try to ramp it up as hot as possible for hygienic purposes by leaving the vents wide open. It's just easier to get the temperature down after this by closing the bottom vent and cracking open the top vent a little.

These coals will burn and light all the coals beneath it slowly so you can do long cooks. It was cold the other day so I added about five coals twice at about 6 and 7 hrs which wasn't an issue.

Plus, I don't know if this matters in an oven, you don't get the benefit of using a water pan which will create moisture in the air and keep the meat juicy. This is huge for chicken and briskets - any meat really. Gotta keep everything moist.

Just doesn't feel right putting it the oven at all from an aesthetic point of view. Plus, can't share photos of that on instragram.

From a logistics perspective as well, you can cook in the weber and the oven at the same time. Get that meat ready and that dessert going later. Or whatever else you wanna put in the oven. You can even do potatoes during the cook or do husked corn immediately after.

Although, you are the king chef on ISH so I mean all this with no disrespect.

(Not my image)

Just bought this guy... I prefer charcoal but needed something for convenience. Awesome thing about this besides the price point is that it has a smoker tube (I plan on using an a-maze-n) and a griddle that comes with it. The lid is def. unique with the see-through and it's insulated for better heat retention. Couple other things that I like are that it has a stainless grate and burners (inferior to cast iron but honestly, they rust out for me since I'm looking at the ocean when using the thing). Pretty awesome setup for about 300 bucks.

My wife also makes some smelly food every so often so the side burner will come in handy.

Mine wont be here until next week... stay tuned!

Saw a basketball once

gotta go with charcoal.