Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why is Blake Griffin considered better than Josh Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    I think Smith's huge advantage in defense makes up a lot of ground to where the average Joe can compare them and not look crazy. When you REALLY look at every category and advanced metrics... not to mention potential, consistency, efficiency etc Griffin starts to build a pretty big gap. What's more is Smith is a 9th year vet who's maxed out, Griffin is nowhere near his prime and is still raw.

Smith has proven time and time again that he wants to be a 1st option but isn't good enough. Griffin has no problem scoring 30 points and the ONLY reason he doesn't score 25 now is he's not getting enough touches and post feeds due to the stupidity of Vinny and Chris Paul's failure to feed Griffin in games he was dominating.
    Your love for Blake has grown so much that your now throwing C-Flop under the bus in order to prop him up

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54
    Better potential? LOL

I can't wait til this coming season. Smoove will have a carreer year.

One guy is 23 following his 2nd NBA season.

Josh Smith on the other hand is entering his 9th NBA season.

How does Smith have more potential than Griffin? Smith might have a better season next year, but Griffin is a player who is on pace to becoming an Elite player in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Your love for Blake has grown so much that your now throwing C-Flop under the bus in order to prop him up
    Its quite sad in a way.

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

What happened to his bpg? After averaging 2.9 in 2006-2007 it kept getting less and less, any explanations?

Banned

Josh Smith handled the ball WAY more than Griffin this year which is why he had more assists. Last year when Griffin didn't have as much of a ball dominant PG he put up more. Not to mention last year Griffin had more 7+ assist games than ANY non guard player in the NBA besides Iggy and Lebron.

Passing=equal
    Scoring=Griffin
    Ballhandling=Equal
    Athleticism=Griffin
    Rebounding=Griffin
    Defense=Smith
    Intangibles= Griffin
    Potential=Griffin
    Consistency=Griffin
    Efficiency=Griffin

This is why Griffin>Smith. Much younger, only two years so far and already better. Has proven he can be a reliable first scoring option where as Smith thrives as a 3rd option. Higher IQ and plays to his strengths unlike Smith. Smith is a beast but he's NOWHERE near as consistent as Griffin. Griffin is top 3 both years in double doubles and in his rookie year he set the modern day rookie record of consecutive 20 and 10 games and only trailed prime Shaq in general for the streak. Only Elvin Hayes had a better rookie 20/10 streak.

Really not even a close comparison when you really break it down, despite what the raw stats my deceptively show.
    How many times a night does Blake let you lick his bum?

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    You and Rowe obviously didn't watch the Clippers last year. Paul was EASILY the most valuable and best player to the Clippers and was INCREDIBLE. That being said he failed to utilize Griffin the way Davis did and after the season said his biggest mistake this year was not involving Griffin enough.

If you watched the games you'd see that Paul often holds the ball 20 seconds then makes a play. That works fine but when you have the top paint scorer in the NBA you should be feeding him the ball a lot more than he did last year. When Paul dumped the ball to Griffin a lot, Griffin delivered. Often times Paul would go to him early and Griffin would have 15+ points by the half, then Paul wouldn't go to him hardly at all in the second half.

Griffin deserves some blame for that due to his shitty screen setting but CP3 absolutely fell short when it comes to utilizing Griffin and anybody that watched the Clippers knows this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe

One guy is 23 following his 2nd NBA season.

Josh Smith on the other hand is entering his 9th NBA season.

How does Smith have more potential than Griffin? Smith might have a better season next year, but Griffin is a player who is on pace to becoming an Elite player in the NBA.
    Smith is also on pace to being an elite player in the league. After the All-Star break, Smith went on a tear. Scoring like 24 PPG while being a DPOY candidate.

People really sleep on this guy because he has a streaky jump shot.

Griffin isn't even on Smith's level and I don't mean that as a slight on Griffin, he's a good player but definitely overrated. The Media machine is certainly hyping him and everyone here should know that especially after his infamous dunk contest/car commercial heist.

Smith played better than most PF's last year, him and Garnett finished the strongest to my recollection Smith had a fantastic year. Shame he didn't play in the All-Star game.

Quote Originally Posted by RaininTwos
    Smith is also on pace to being an elite player in the league. After the All-Star break, Smith went on a tear. Scoring like 24 PPG while being a DPOY candidate.

People really sleep on this guy because he has a streaky jump shot.

Griffin isn't even on Smith's level and I don't mean that as a slight on Griffin, he's a good player but definitely overrated. The Media machine is certainly hyping him and everyone here should know that especially after his infamous dunk contest/car commercial heist.

Smith played better than most PF's last year, him and Garnett finished the strongest to my recollection Smith had a fantastic year. Shame he didn't play in the All-Star game.
    KIA

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosBoozer
    What happened to his bpg? After averaging 2.9 in 2006-2007 it kept getting less and less, any explanations?
    Knee problems last year

College star

I think Smith's huge advantage in defense makes up a lot of ground to where the average Joe can compare them and not look crazy. When you REALLY look at every category and advanced metrics... not to mention potential, consistency, efficiency etc Griffin starts to build a pretty big gap. What's more is Smith is a 9th year vet who's maxed out, Griffin is nowhere near his prime and is still raw.

Smith has proven time and time again that he wants to be a 1st option but isn't good enough. Griffin has no problem scoring 30 points and the ONLY reason he doesn't score 25 now is he's not getting enough touches and post feeds due to the stupidity of Vinny and Chris Paul's failure to feed Griffin in games he was dominating.
    But you didn't answer the question

You would take Blake Griffin over Josh Smith right now, this second, if you could complete a championship roster and only had one space available, and one year to win?

I'm sorry, I'm taking the guy that last year scored 2 points less than Blake, 1 rebound less than Blake, but will provide elite, elite, elite defense to my team.

Both are liabilities at the free throw line, though Blake is just atrocious at the charity stripe. But, when you're a liability on defense too?

Don't get me wrong. I'd bulid my franchise around Blake Griffin first, and think he will have a more successful career if healthy. But, if the question is who do I select for my team, I'm taking Josh Smith right now, at this moment.. I think he's an overall more complete player right now.
    Last edited by BlackVVaves; 09-03-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Griffin: 21.7 / 11.5 / 3.5 on 52.4%
    Smith: 15.1 / 7.9 / 3.1 on 46.4%

let me know when Smith has a season where he finally breaks 20 ppg and 10 rpg.. something Griffin did his first (and second) year

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    But you didn't answer the question

You would take Blake Griffin over Josh Smith right now, this second, if you could complete a championship roster and only had one space available, and one year to win?

I'm sorry, I'm taking the guy that last year scored 2 points less than Blake, 1 rebound less than Blake, but will provide elite, elite, elite defense to my team.

Both are liabilities at the free throw line, though Blake is just atrocious at the charity stripe. But, when you're a liability on defense too?

Don't get me wrong. I'd bulid my franchise around Blake Griffin first, and think he will have a more successful career if healthy. But, if the question is who do I select for my team, I'm taking Josh Smith right now, at this moment.. I think he's an overall more complete player right now.
    Depends on the composition of my team who i take obviously. If I have reliable stars to score I take Smith because of his defense. If I need a go to scorer and a franchise player I take Griffin. That has nothing to do with who the better player is right now though because it's clearly Griffin. Every publication that ranked players the last two years had Griffin significantly ahead of Smith not to mention it's pretty obvious just from watching who is in general better. Smith may have incredible all around games once in a while where he fills a stat sheet better but he's far more inconsistent. Griffin is a guaranteed, steady 20/10 and 3 player.

If you obvious Clipper ph@gotts read my thread I said the point of it was to show how equal they are and how underrated Smoove is.

Also to Bgriffs dad if Smoove didn't play any defense and flopped 5 times a game like Griff he would have more energy to score and rebound thus him being a stat sheet stuffer like Klove and Griff.

Quote Originally Posted by BGriffin's Dad
    Griffin: 21.7 / 11.5 / 3.5 on 52.4%
    Smith: 15.1 / 7.9 / 3.1 on 46.4%

let me know when Smith has a season where he finally breaks 20 ppg and 10 rpg.. something Griffin did his first (and second) year
    and if career averages don't make the difference clear...

Griffin's worst season: 20.7 / 10.9 / 3.2 on 54.9%
    Smith's best season: 18.8 / 9.6 / 3.9 on 45.8%

In fairness, Smith is only 26 and clearly made an improvement in his game from the season before last and last season. So that ninth season title doesn't hold as much weight as it would if he had gone to college in terms of room for growth. Also next season will undoubtedly be his team with all the departures.