alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Default duke recruiting a trend already?

last year

towns
    winslow
    jones
    allen

this year

thornton
    jeter
    luke kennard
    ingram

damn this might not be as good as what they had but this isnt that far

but with allen's confidence booster... coach K will have no problems with rotation they also got
    Antonio Vrankovic

and jefferson and marshall plumlee...

they might be the favorites to win it all this year unless jaylen brown goes to Kentucky.

and come 2017 they also have baby kd michael porter
    Last edited by veilside23; 04-29-2015 at 10:24 PM.

Default Re: duke recruiting a trend already?

I don't think any of those players are OAD. Well not sure about Thornton, as I have only seen him once and he was outplayed by some unknown. Ingram, Jeter, and Kennard? Nah. Or OAD in the sense that Okafor and Parker were. Ingram has mentioned the idea of OAD long before his rise in the rankings, so maybe he has his mind set. He's a two to three year prospect, though.

Also, Allen is overrated based on one game, imo, but whatever. We will find out next season. And it sounds like Brown is going to Michigan? Not sure on that, but apparently KU is going really hard after Mack in the last couple days, UK is trying to poach NCSU's recent commit (Kirk), Cal seems like a no go with Swanigan to MSU, and I don't think UNC is landing anyone of note until we get the NOI. That's his recently cut top 5. Maybe Kenny Williams drops in our lap if Brown goes to Michigan.

2016 is the class to watch because I'm positive they will land Tatum. That sets them up potentially for a Tatum and Giles "package". Maybe Smith, although not sure if Thornton deters him if he's still around.

By the way, what's up with UK? Having to settle on JC players (Mulder) and going after a 3 star the day he commits to another school? Kirk isn't even that good. I've seen him play a bunch, he's just a raw athlete, he really wanted a Wake Forest offer, and they didn't want him. I think that says it all. Maybe they can get Maker as a spring enroll, although I have no clue how any school will get Maker eligible. As a UNC fan, I'm pretty desperate for good recruiting news and even I would say heck no to Maker if he wanted to come. That's a sanction waiting to happen.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Last year's class was wholly unique because it featured top level prospects at the three tiers of positions. Big, Wing, and PG. And then on top of that Okafor was an honest to goodness post big (you have Towns up there, but I'm assuming anyone in here knows what you mean). Not just some tall athlete playing dive roll basketball. He for sure has weaknesses, and I'm not the biggest fan of his as a prospect (although I'd still take him top four pretty much regardless of need), but that post skill is so rare, and still has a lot of value.

The other big skill you look for is shooting, and they got it out of Jones, and Grayson Allen and Winslow to a degree.

Next years class is good, and may even rank as well, in part because I don't think the class as a whole is quite as good. Ingram may in fact be a plus prospect, with that level of length and the ability to score and shoot. But he's a Winslow type player. Not a post big. Jeter looks like a decent big prospect, but he's more energy change ends defend type big, closer to Amile Jefferson than a real post big.

Kennard I like. But he's gonna bring a lot of what Grayson Allen already provides. Although the notion of putting that much shooting on the court at the same time is interesting, so long as you can survive on the glass.

Thornton would have to be the magic piece in this class. And I haven't seen enough of him to know a ton. But from what little I've seen and read, he feels more like a real pick and role type attacking PG, which fits a little better with the dive bigs and shooters that they'll have, than it would have with a true post big like Okafor. And Jones was a real floor general, and a space up shooter to boot. He was really a perfect fit.

This class has no answer for Okafor. Maybe it can be more dynamic than Jones, but it's not gonna be easy. Ingram has a chance to be excellent, but even at his best probably is a notch below where Winslow wound up, and Kennard and Allen are similar with Kennard probably a bit better prospect. But it's the lack of Okafor that means this team will have to change how it plays.

I'm not a Duke fan, but seeing Coach K shift his tactics is one of the coolest things in the college game.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

I understand that this is not as big as winslow , jones and jahlil.

its just really amazing what coach K has done lately maybe becoming the head coach of team USA plays a factor. In the first place there isnt a lot of one and done played under coach K. I think last year's players are really exceptional.

I know Ingram is not a finish product yet dude is still growing and developing but he has a smooth game.

Kennard is not your typical player. Dude is smart and can really score.

thornton am not that sold either but playing with these guys would benefit him a lot.

NBA lottery pick

Meanwhile Unc has the #96 recruiting class. Even with sanctions coming that is unacceptable, wtf is roy Williams doing with that program.

The USA job saved him. Hiring Capel on to his staff after he was shown the door at OU also really helped. Capel has become their lead recruiter from what I understand, and he's an outstanding one at that. However, just read an interview and see what K is selling these kids. I forgot who it it was, but he compared a recent player to LeBron, as in how he would use the potential recruit like how he used LeBron on Team USA. Based on what's being regurgitated, he seems to imply he had some role in LeBron, Durant, and the other NBA stars development. And while I think the idea is laughable, the families and kids obviously buy into it and the results speak for themselves. Certainly can't blame a man for using every tool in his arsenal (just look at the way he not so gently nudged Thornton into reclassifying, which essentially sealed them Ingram).

He was hanging on a cliff, regarding recruiting, around 2009-2010-ish and then he flipped a switch and hasn't looked back.

I would attribute it mostly to USA, a little to his changing his recruiting philosophy towards OAD talents (which, imo, wouldn't have been possible without USA basketball), Capel's return, and a little to coaching at a private institution. They have actually had some problems lately and they just set up a wall which no media dares to penetrate. Look at the way they handled Sulaimon situation. It's been leaked on how K knew of the allegations and still kept him on the team until he no longer couldn't. What does he do? Release a vague statement with "no comment" and it goes away. Incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    Meanwhile Unc has the #96 recruiting class. Even with sanctions coming that is unacceptable, wtf is roy Williams doing with that program.
    UNC let the NCAA have unprecedented access to the university (ie, bent over) and that allowed them to become the face of everything wrong with college athletics. Between the incompetence of Thorp, the terrible PR job, and several other factors, what happened has become so out of control and everyone has become misinformed on the issue that it's impossible to do any damage control. You have people from the News and Observer, to ESPN, to NPR spreading proven false information. Willingham has been demonstrated a liar. She has no credibility anymore, and yet somehow people still cling to her words from years ago. What happened at Syracuse is worse than what happened athletically at UNC. Still when Syrcause got their sanctions, all the national media talk was about UNC. And not in a good way. Certainly UNC being the athletic program and academic institution it is (and it is one of the best public universities in America) has put particularly large target on their back and they handled it about as terribly as you could possibly have done.

Mark Emmert basically said the NCAA has little to no jurisdiction over the matter because it was an academic scandal. He said as much about a week ago when comparing what happened at Syracuse with North Carolina, he said the same around the Final Four, and at least 2 other times. His initial comments were completely inappropriate and he's been backtracking ever since. Anyway, 1) The courses were not created for the benefit for the athletes (there's no evidence proving it). 2) While it was known they were easy classes, every study done on the matter has proven athletes weren't steered to those classes because they would get a more favorable grade over non-athletes. 3) Again, the classes were NOT only for student-athletes. All students were able to take the classes, and many did. Not only did many non-athletes take the classes, they account for for the majority of the population of those classes. They all didn't receive "A" grades either. Furthermore, the SACS has not and seems like will not suspend accreditation. Meaning those classes technically were/are in fact real.

This is the article on Emmert's recent comments:
    http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasket...heelhouse.html

"One of my professors in at Washington in the wild and crazy 70s had a rule," Emmert said. "On the first day, he'd say, 'Look every one gets an A. Let's get that off the table and move on.' That was a very popular class. I'm sure there were student-athletes in there. A lot of Greeks in there too. I was in there. The NCAA wouldn't walk in there and say that class is loaded with athletes because everyone gets an A. It's not the NCAA's business. It should be the university's business."
    Don't misunderstand me. Embarrassing doesn't being to describe what happened. Although anyone who went college can attest that there are easy courses at every single university. I took the equivalent of a "paper class". Nonetheless, what the AFAM department did is unquestionably wrong. Sticking to men's basketball side, since that's what we are discussing here, the Wainstein Report did not turn up any instances where athletic advisers suggested grades for the athletes. Obviously, which if proven they did and if the professor went through with it, then the NCAA would then be able to count that as impermissible benefits and thus have the jurisdiction. Alas they didn't and they don't.

Because the classes are "legitimate" and, as of now, there's no connection between the men's basketball program advising their athletes to take AFAM courses to protect eligibility, the NCAA really has little they can claim to. But... The media, and thus their misinformed audience, for some reason will not budge on their incorrect predetermined narrative and in the end the NCAA is the NCAA. Logic and the NCAA do not go hand in hand as they have proven time and time again. The peer pressure isn't helping either.

Based on all the information to this point, I think UNC men's basketball gets something. Hammered? No. Unless the NCAA wants to start adjudicating on what is a quality education. Which will open up a can of worm so big it will bury them.

And UNC is getting negative recruiting unlike anything I have ever seen or heard of. Unacceptable? Roy is recruiting a climate where he goes all in on certain recruits and still loses them to South Carolina and VCU. Do you know who coaches South Carolina? That's like choosing to play under Mike Leech on a team that wins 12 games a year. Roy has no chance until the NCAA gives their notice and because of how long the NCAA is taking, it's essentially death by a thousand paper cuts right now.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    However, just read an interview and see what K is selling these kids. I forgot who it it was, but he compared a recent player to LeBron, as in how he would use the potential recruit like how he used LeBron on Team USA. Based on what's being regurgitated, he seems to imply he had some role in LeBron, Durant, and the other NBA stars development. And while I think the idea is laughable, the families and kids obviously buy into it and the results speak for themselves.
    that was jabari

so is ingram a 3 or a 4? if he could play the 4, they could have a really nice starting 5, if he cant their front court looks shallow.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    UNC let the NCAA have unprecedented access to the university (ie, bent over) and that allowed them to become the face of everything wrong with college athletics. Between the incompetence of Thorp, the terrible PR job, and several other factors, what happened has become so out of control and everyone has become misinformed on the issue that it's impossible to do any damage control. You have people from the News and Observer, to ESPN, to NPR spreading proven false information. Willingham has been demonstrated a liar. She has no credibility anymore, and yet somehow people still cling to her words from years ago. What happened at Syracuse is worse than what happened athletically at UNC. Still when Syrcause got their sanctions, all the national media talk was about UNC. And not in a good way. Certainly UNC being the athletic program and academic institution it is (and it is one of the best public universities in America) has put particularly large target on their back and they handled it about as terribly as you could possibly have done.

Mark Emmert basically said the NCAA has little to no jurisdiction over the matter because it was an academic scandal. He said as much about a week ago when comparing what happened at Syracuse with North Carolina, he said the same around the Final Four, and at least 2 other times. His initial comments were completely inappropriate and he's been backtracking ever since. Anyway, 1) The courses were not created for the benefit for the athletes (there's no evidence proving it). 2) While it was known they were easy classes, every study done on the matter has proven athletes weren't steered to those classes because they would get a more favorable grade over non-athletes. 3) Again, the classes were NOT only for student-athletes. All students were able to take the classes, and many did. Not only did many non-athletes take the classes, they account for for the majority of the population of those classes. They all didn't receive "A" grades either. Furthermore, the SACS has not and seems like will not suspend accreditation. Meaning those classes technically were/are in fact real.

This is the article on Emmert's recent comments:
    http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasket...heelhouse.html

Don't misunderstand me. Embarrassing doesn't being to describe what happened. Although anyone who went college can attest that there are easy courses at every single university. I took the equivalent of a "paper class". Nonetheless, what the AFAM department did is unquestionably wrong. Sticking to men's basketball side, since that's what we are discussing here, the Wainstein Report did not turn up any instances where athletic advisers suggested grades for the athletes. Obviously, which if proven they did and if the professor went through with it, then the NCAA would then be able to count that as impermissible benefits and thus have the jurisdiction. Alas they didn't and they don't.

Because the classes are "legitimate" and, as of now, there's no connection between the men's basketball program advising their athletes to take AFAM courses to protect eligibility, the NCAA really has little they can claim to. But... The media, and thus their misinformed audience, for some reason will not budge on their incorrect predetermined narrative and in the end the NCAA is the NCAA. Logic and the NCAA do not go hand in hand as they have proven time and time again. The peer pressure isn't helping either.

Based on all the information to this point, I think UNC men's basketball gets something. Hammered? No. Unless the NCAA wants to start adjudicating on what is a quality education. Which will open up a can of worm so big it will bury them.

And UNC is getting negative recruiting unlike anything I have ever seen or heard of. Unacceptable? Roy is recruiting a climate where he goes all in on certain recruits and still loses them to South Carolina and VCU. Do you know who coaches South Carolina? That's like choosing to play under Mike Leech on a team that wins 12 games a year. Roy has no chance until the NCAA gives their notice and because of how long the NCAA is taking, it's essentially death by a thousand paper cuts right now.
    damn you know your shit

Yeah what a tough situation down, kind of like what the U football program had to grow through,

But even with the possibility of sanctions coming Tenessee-Martin and south Alabama shouldn't be ahead of UNC

They're going to be good next year, maybe great. But after that it looks really bleeeeeek.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    Hard to believe this program won 6 years ago .

How do you guys follow HS basketball? ESPN 3 or something?

jayson tatum just committed to duke

maybe giles is next?

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    jayson tatum just committed to duke

maybe giles is next?
    Tatum/Giles/Smith (#1/2/4_ the dream

Though Smith has kept Duke in his top 6, sources indicate that Duke has cooled on Smith and has focused on getting Frank Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by noob cake
    Tatum/Giles/Smith (#1/2/4_ the dream

Though Smith has kept Duke in his top 6, sources indicate that Duke has cooled on Smith and has focused on getting Frank Jackson.
    Frank Jackson will do his mission so he won't come until two years later.