Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default University Athletic Association of the Philippines

The Athletic Mind: Rookie Watch, the Whole Nine Yards

by Sid Ventura

I hate it when my writing schedule gets interrupted. For the past three years, I

Default Re: University Athletic Association of the Philippines

Season Preview Part One

by Sid Ventura of UBelt.com

A fellow sportswriter who covers the UAAP beat for one of the country

Athletic Mind: Season Preview Part 2
    by Sidney Ventura

[b]A couple of things I need to get out of the way before we go to Part 2: 1. There

Athletic Mind: Season Preview Part 3

by Sidney Ventura

Out of the Doghouse

National University Bulldogs

Head Coach: Manny Dandan
    Assistants: Chico Manabat and Jeff Napa
    Additions: PF/C Raymond Aguilar, SG Chris Catamora, SF Mervin Boloran, SG Aaron Galapon, C Jewel Ponferrada, and SG Joseph Tesoro
    Subtractions: SF Dave Catamora, PG Julian Cooper, C Howard Flor, PG Jason Malcontento, PF Benner John Salamat.

Line-up:
    Raymond John Aguilar

Subplots Emerge In UAAP 70 Launch

by JP Abcede

Questions will finally be answered once the 2007 UAAP men`s basketball games kick off on July 7 at the Araneta Coliseum. Will the University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers be able to defend their crown despite the last minute exclusion of 2006 men`s basketball finals MVP Jojo Duncil? Will Ateneo de Manila University avenge their defeat in the championship series last year?

Will University of the East finally get over the Final Four hump? Will De La Salle University have a grand comeback? Will Far Eastern University, National University, and even University of the Philippines surprise everyone and make heads turn their way?

These are some of the questions that are at the back of everybody

eto poh ung complete sked

SATURDAY, JULY 07, 2007

2pm DLSU vs UP ARANETA 1st
    4pm NU vs FEU ARANETA 1st

SUNDAY, JULY 08, 2007

2pm ADMU vs ADU NINOY 1st
    4pm UST vs UE NINOY 1st

THURSDAY, JULY 12, 2007

2pm UE vs NU NINOY 1st
    4pm UP vs ADMU NINOY 1st

SATURDAY, JULY 14, 2007

2pm ADU vs DLSU NINOY 1st
    4pm FEU vs UST NINOY 1st

SUNDAY, JULY 15, 2007

2pm NU vs UP NINOY 1st
    4pm ADMU vs UE NINOY 1st

THURSDAY, JULY 19, 2007

2pm ADU vs UST NINOY 1st
    4pm DLSU vs FEU NINOY 1st

SATURDAY, JULY 21, 2007

2pm NU vs ADMU NINOY 1st
    4pm UST vs UP NINOY 1st

SUNDAY, JULY 22, 2007

2pm FEU vs ADU NINOY 1st
    4pm UE vs DLSU NINOY 1st

THURSDAY, JULY 26, 2007

2pm NU vs UST NINOY 1st
    4pm DLSU vs ADMU ARANETA 1st

SATURDAY, JULY 28, 2007

2pm ADU vs NU NINOY 1st
    4pm UP vs UE NINOY 1st

SUNDAY, JULY 29, 2007

2pm UST vs DLSU NINOY 1st
    4pm ADMU vs FEU NINOY 1st

THURSDAY, AUGUST 02, 2007

2pm UE vs FEU NINOY 1st
    4pm ADU vs UP NINOY 1st

SATURDAY, AUGUST 04, 2007

2pm NU vs DLSU NINOY 1st
    4pm UE vs ADU NINOY 1st

SUNDAY, AUGUST 05, 2007

2pm UP vs FEU NINOY 1st
    4pm ADMU vs UST NINOY 1st

Tigers Claim To Be Underdogs This 70th Season

by Reuben Ezra Terrado of UBelt.com

Defending champion University of Santo Tomas does not mind tagging themselves as underdogs in the 70th season of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) men

Athletic Mind: Season Preview Part 4

by Sidney Ventura

As always, I have my things-to-get-out-of-the-way list before I proceed with the article proper. (1) It turns out La Salle big man Marko Batricevic might be able to suit up sometime in the second round, or, if he`s really lucky, even as early as late in the first round. (2) Here`s my first shameless plug of the new season. My friends and I have set up this bar called Taberna Ocho located at 162 Maginhawa St. Sikatuna Village Quezon City. Visit our website at ocho.wordpress.com for more details. (3) Jessica Alba is hot.

View Full Article at http://www.ubelt.com/uaap/mbb/story.aspx?id=1298

Young Guns 2

University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons

Head coach: Jose Lipa

Assistants: Ramil Cruz, Mark Jomalesa, and Jojo Villa

Additions: SF Jayfelson Agbayani, SG Czarlo Dela Victoria, PG Michael Gamboa, SF Dionisio Hipolito, SF Mark Lopez, PF/C Andrew Marfori, C Socrates Rivera, PG Dexter Rosales, and SF Julius Wong

Subtractions: PG Arvin Braganza, PF Ira Buyco, C Galen Cacha, PG Marvin Cruz, PF Nestor David, SG Francis Maniego, SG Dan Salvador, SG Paul Sorongon, and Gretchen Fullido

Line-up:

Jayfelson Agbayani – 6'2"

Woodward John Co – 6'3"

Miguel Antonio De Asis – 5'9"

Czarlo Dela Victoria – 6'2"

Victor Mel Epres – 6'1"

Michael Joseph Gamboa - 5'7"

Dionisio Hipolito III – 6'2"

Mark Anthony Lopez – 6'1"

Santos Andrew Marfori – 6'4"

Martin John Reyes – 6'0"

Socrates Rivera – 6'4"

Dexter Rosales – 5'8"

Virgilio Serios, Jr.- 6'3"

Magi King Sison – 6'6"

Julius Paul Wong – 6'1"

The makeover continues. Having come up with arguably the best recruiting class of the season, the UP Maroons had to make way for their talented newcomers and once again have a roster with more rookies than veterans. It's a price Joe Lipa is willing to pay if it means a competitive team down the road, although he realizes it will also mean this year's team will take its share of lumps.

"We have six sophomores, two juniors and seven rookies on the team," Lipa said. "And the seven rookies are fresh from high school. They don’t know our program, and they have to do a lot of adjustment in our system. And you know, all the disadvantages that go with a young team are there. But we are trying to remedy this, and we are hoping for a winning season."

To be precise, the two juniors are actually veteran shooting guard Vic Epres, who is on his final year, and the comebacking Jay Agbayani, who will be entering his fourth season. Also, the sixth sophomore is Andrew Marfori, who is a sophomore in college but a rookie in the UAAP. Regardless, it's still a young team, and although the talent is there, there's still a lot of ground to cover.

"We have to improve a lot on our defensive rotation," Lipa continued. "Of course, rebounding will be a problem for us because our big men are not that dominant. And we have to improve a lot on our motion offense."

The rebounding aspect is indeed a cause for concern. A little-known fact: the team's best rebounder last year was actually Marvin Cruz (7.9rpg), who won’t be returning. He's the second-biggest loss for the team, next to Gretchen Fullido, of course. Left to fill the void are rookies Marfori and Soc Rivera and sophomore Magi Sison, none of whom, as Lipa pointed out, are particularly dominant underneath.

Marfori is perhaps the best-skilled among the three, a player who always knows where he should be on the court and who is a good weakside help defender, but he's not particularly agile and at a shade under six-four is undersized. Rivera is immensely talented, an athletic six-four big man who runs the court well, can shoot from afar, and is probably the team's best shotblocker. But he's reed-thin and can easily be pushed around. Sison is the most tantalizing prospect among the three, and at the same time the most frustrating. The tallest player on the team at six-six, he can either show flashes of brilliance or make Lipa's blood boil with botched play after botched play.

The lack of big men will mean top man VJ Serios will have to spend some time at the power forward spot, which is a pity because he is more effective playing the wing where he can create mismatches and where he is probably the team's best defender.

This all means that UP will still rely on its run-and-gun philosophy. They certainly have the tools: snipers Migs De Asis and Martin Reyes will alternate at the two-spot where they will almost certainly be among the league leaders in three-point shots. For back-up the team elevated Czarlo Dela Victoria from the training pool, while Serios, Epres, Woody Co and rookie Mark Lopez also have the range from outside.

The "run" part will be anchored by rookie point guards Mike Gamboa and Dexter Rosales. In fact, everyone on this team can run, which is crucial. The Maroons have to attempt to fastbreak every chance they get because, just like last year's team, they will have trouble against bigger and more experienced opponents in a half-court set.

But it's a classic chicken-and-egg thing: they can’t run if they don’t have the ball, and they can't get the ball unless they dominate the boards, and they can’t dominate the boards unless they have enough big men, which they don't.

Additionally, you have to make your opponents miss first before you can even think about grabbing a defensive rebound, and this crew is sort of lacking in defensive stoppers, particularly in the back court. Gamboa and De Asis, in particular, are terrible man-to-man defenders.

But Lipa remains optimistic. "We'll try very hard. It's not far from happening, but one thing's for sure, we'll give it our best shot."

So which teams are his heavy favorites?

"La Salle, based on their performance in the two summer leagues, I would say would be seeded number one, number two would be UE, then FEU, number four would be a toss-up between UST and NU."

My prognosis: this is a team built for the future. Expect a lot of rookie mistakes this season and few wins. There are just too many teams who are taller and more experienced. UP will probably register an upset win here and there, but a Final Four berth may be out of reach.

Advertisement: UBelt.com's Virtual Team Manager (VTM) is back! NIKE Gift Certificates are up for grabs! Click here to play!

Troubled Tigers

University of Sto. Tomas Growling Tigers

Head coach: Alfredo Jarencio

Assistants: Beaujing Acot, Manny Calipes, Senen Duenas, Edwin Escobar, and Rabbi Tomacruz

Additions: SG John Hector Badua, SG Darryl Basa, C Khasim Mirza, PG Rum Perry Scott, and SF Francis Soriano

Subtractions: PF Allan Evangelista, SG Joselito Duncil, SG AC Marquez, and SG Jemal Vizcarra

Line-up:

Dylan Ababou – 6'2"

Francis Philip Allera – 6'3"

John Hector Badua – 5'11"

John Darryl Basa – 6'0"

Mark Angelo Canlas – 6'5"

Jose Cortez, Jr. - 5'10"

Jervy Cruz – 6'4"

John Paul Cuan – 5'7"

June Dizon - 6'3"

Anthony Espiritu – 6'4"

Melchor Gile – 6'3"

Khasim Mirza – 6'4"

Rum Perry Scott – 5'9"

Francis Soriano - 6'5"

Up until last week, I had penciled in UST as a top three team, owing to its relatively intact line-up. All that changed thanks to a questionable birth certificate.

The shock loss of top gun Jojo Duncil is big not only because of what the guy brings to the court – shooting, leadership, experience – but also because of its suddenness. I wouldn’t be surprised if this has caused a little demoralization in the ranks, Duncil being the face of UST's improbable title run last year.

Of course, Jervy Cruz is still there. The six-four center is arguably the best at his position now that Ken Bono isn’t around. Plus, Anthony Espiritu and Mark Canlas can be relied on to provide ample support. Meanwhile, ex-Tiger Cubs Darryl Basa and Hector Badua will try to fill Duncil's shoes at the shooting guard position, while Rum Perry Scott, a talented transferee from Lyceum, becomes the team's third point guard.

But there are more storm clouds in the horizon.

Comes now unconfirmed news that swingman Dylan Ababou has contracted Hepatitis B. Two reliable sources have shared this bit of news with me, although it remains unclear just how many games the athletic forward will miss if ever. Because of this, I'm not so sure anymore if the Tigers can make it back to the finals. Then again, nobody gave them a chinaman's chance last year.

But what really happened with Duncil anyway? For the record, this is what Fr. Ermito De Sagun said during the press conference last Monday after I posed that dreaded question concerning Duncil's last-minute decision to turn pro. I am printing it here verbatim (special thanks to my colleague Reuben Terrado for the transcription):

Ok, let me answer that. Of course, Jojo Duncil was our player. He was a UAAP player. As far as we are concerned, he is a dead horse and it is useless to talk about a dead horse. Sabi ko nga, kaya tinanggal na lang sa line-up kasi hindi nakaka-excel yung iba. Natatakpan yung ibang player namin kaya iba naman. But really, as far as the controversy is concerned, we know from the family. In fact, Jojo Duncil is the nephew of the rector of UST. So, as far as his person is concerned, we have no doubts against his person. He is a good boy. But the only problem is he has two NSO-certified birth certificates. One will make him ineligible. Kasi kung 1982, ineligible. Kung 1983, eligible. Now, we think that this is, as far as UST is concerned, is an additional burden, an excess load. We don't want any member of our team to have excess load. It will be a distraction to our games. We don't want to have games and put into question. Kaya better, mag-pro ka nalang. And of course, as a matter of fact, that was his real intention. He was weighing the possibility of going pro because he was watching the list of those who will go pro. Kasi siyempre, yung player, nakakiramdam din when is the best time to turn pro. Siyempre kung maraming magagaling na mag-turn pro, mahihirapan ka rin. So parang for him, that's his decision and the family's decision and we respect it. Sa UST, hindi na namin pinag-uusapan yun.

We can probably forgive Fr. De Sagun for the poor spin he put on what really happened (that part about removing Duncil from the line-up to give others a chance to excel is just plain silly). But I think I understand where he is coming from. A source told me the real story is that Duncil was in fact born in 1983, but his parents, eager to enroll him in school at the soonest time possible, somehow made it appear that he was born in 1982. Naturally, it was this birth certificate that became the basis for his age from then on. And inevitably, it came back to haunt him.

A similar thing happened with one of my friends who faked his age so that he could get a driver's license at the age of 14. Now, he can’t apply for an international license because his Philippine license and his birth certificate show two different birth dates.

So technically, Duncil is only 24. But since he has been using the erroneous birth certificate ever since...well, you can easily see how this became a stupid problem that UST just didn’t want to deal with. It's also why I don’t think any further investigations will be pursued.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 07-06-2007 at 12:32 PM.

Anyway, here's my predicted order of finish at the end of the elimination round:

UE
    DLSU
    ADMU
    UST
    NU
    FEU
    UP
    AdU

Rookie of the Year: Soc Rivera (UP)

Mythical Five:

Guard

to all Thomasians: you can avail your tickets in the SOCC office TODAY!! from 8am up to 5 pm at the 2nd floor of the UST-TAN yan kee student center.

at the same time, do not forget to buy out a UST Long Car Sticker at the second floor of the UST Grandstand for only P60

you can also avail the 2007 UAAP T-shirts at the socc office parin!

Proud Thomasians @ 400!!

GO USTE Lets Defend the Crown

Ito ang real reason kung bakit mwawala si Duncil sa UST.

As Explain by IHEART UST

Hindi ko maintindihan kung anong katotohanan pa ang gusto ninyong malaman.

Inamin na nga ni Fr. De Sagun sa isang interview na oo, mayroong dalawang birth certificate si Jojo MULA SA NSO.

Sinabi na rin ni Jojo sa interview niya na kaya nangyari iyon ay dahil nagparehistro ulit ang kapatid niya noong 1989. Na batay sa post dito ni Mr. Brownstone at sinegundahan naman ni augustine, iyon ay para palabasin na mas matanda siya ng isang taon para diumano ay makapasok siya ng mas maaga sa elementarya. Ito rin ang nakasaad sa isinulat ni Sid Ventura sa Ubelt na lumabas kahapon.

Ang certificate na ipinasa sa UAAP ay 1983 ang nakasaad. Iyon ang orihinal na kapanganakan niya. Iyon ang tama. Ang certificate na nakatala ngayon sa NSO main ay 1982. Iyon ang mali.

Nagpaliwanag na rin ang UST sa board. Nagdala pa nga daw sila ng hindi lang isa kundi dalawang NSO certificate kaya ngayon ay lumalabas na tatlo na ang kuwestyunableng dokumento. Ang punto dito NAGPALIWANAG NA ANG UST SA BOARD.

Kung bakit naging tatlo ang dokumento, ni isa sa atin dito ay walang nakakaalam. (Maliban na lang kung mayroong board member na PEXer, hehe) Nasa pagitan na iyon ng UST at ng board. Nagkaayos na sila. Tapos ang usapan.

Sa BOARD at tanging sa board lamang mayroong obligasyong magbigay ng pahayag ang UST at ginawa naman nila iyon. Kung piliin man nilang huwag magpahayag sa press ay prerogative nila iyon.

Gusto ko lang linawin, ang UST at ang board ay hindi iisa.

We're talking about representatives from seven other big name universities here in the country. Please do not insult their intelligence by assuming that they will let something anomalous just go by un-admonished. In this case, they probably arrived at the conclusion that nothing anomalous took place.

The public's assumption that Jojo submitted fake papers is culled from their own interpretation of the series of events that transpired. There is no factual basis behind it. The facts remain inside the boardroom where it should be. UST did their part, they explained their side to the board. They have no obligation whatsoever to feed your curiosity.

Suma-tutal ang resulta ng lahat ng ito ay hindi na maglalaro sa UAAP si Jojo. Nakuha na ng mastermind ng plot na ito ang gusto niya. Llamado na ang team niya laban sa UST. Wala na ang orihinal na line-up ng mga Tigers. Ang mga plays na sinaliksik ng coaching staff ng UST at pinaghandaan ng team ngayong pre-season ay malamang na mauwi lang sa wala. Kailangan nilang mag-regroup. May panahon pa ba? Ewan ko. Mamaya na ang simula ng UAAP.

Muli ang tanong ko, nasaan ang "FAIR PLAY" sa ginawa nila?
    ----

Nga pala, medyo OT na 'to, nabasa ko sa MB na sinusuyo ni Mr. Mikee Romero si Jojo na wag munang mag-pro at sa halip ay sumama muna sa SEA games. Kahapon daw ay nasa Reyes Gym siya para mag-try outs.

Ateneo Muse

1st year College

2nd Game NU Bulldogs beat the FEU Tamaraws 73-70.

Top Performer of the Game: Edwin Asoro 17 Points 13 Rebounds, 2 steals and 1 Assists.

Eager Archers Start Right A-Way

by JP Abcede

Did anyone miss De La Salle University? Not when they go 14-0 in the first four minutes of their first game back from oblivion. The Green Archers started the 70th UAAP men’s basketball season with a bang, manhandling the young University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons, 82-61, on July 7 at the Araneta Coliseum for their first UAAP victory in almost two years, not counting the ones they forfeited prior to that.

“We were just so excited to be back in the UAAP,” said a giddy Franz Pumaren. “We feel like playing for the first time.”

Cholo Villanueva, PJ Walsham, and James Mangahas were just as happy to be there, making the first 14 points of DLSU. Jvee Casio gave the Archers their highest lead, scoring five points late in the game, 82-57.

“I am really expecting him to be there,” Pumaren referred to topscorer Villanueva, who finished with 19 points on 7/13 shooting, while also notching six rebounds and four assists.

Mangahas garnered 14 markers, shooting 70% at the two-point field, and grabbed seven boards before coming out with a sprain. Both TY Tang and Casio finished with 12 points.

Martin Reyes topped the Maroons with 14 points. Woodward Co was good 3/5 at the three-point area, concluding the game with 12.

The green and white gallery thought that the first quarter would never end, euphoric after the scoreboard read 14-0. Magi Sison beat the shot clock buzzer for UP’s first points with a three-pointer, 6:01.

For the rest of the quarter, the Maroons’ only field goals came from beyond the arc until Mark Lopez scored on an undergoal shot, 9:19 of the second period to trail, 16-25. The nearest the Diliman-based squad could get was eight when Migs de Asis netted a three, 5:53 of the third, 37-49.

The Taft-based squad eventually breached the 20-point ledger when Villanueva recovered the ball from a broken play and scored, 65-45, 5:50 of the fourth.

For the Archers’ next opponent, they have Adamson Falcons on July 14. UP, on the other hand, had an early Battle of Intramuros with Ateneo de Manila University on July 12

View Full Article at http://www.ubelt.com/uaap/mbb/story.aspx?id=

Bulldogs Snatch Win In OT

by JP Abcede

National University now means business and they took care of revamped Far Eastern University, 73-70, on UAAP men’s basketball opening day on July 7 at the Araneta Coliseum.

View Full Article at http://www.ubelt.com/uaap/mbb/story.aspx?id=1302

Advertisement: UBelt.com's Virtual Team Manager (VTM) is back! NIKE Gift Certificates are up for grabs! Click here to play!

Joseph Lingao-Lingao stopped a driving Mark Barroca in the dying seconds of OT while Jonathan Fernandez closed the coffin with two freethrows.

“We wanted this game badly,” said NU coach Manny Dandan. “To boost our confidence, we need to win this game.”

Lingao-Lingao was top Dog with 17 points, 13 rebounds, and five blocks. Edwin Asoro also had 17 on 2/3 three-point shooting, while also grabbing 16 boards.

Cyrus Malague
    Last edited by Lebron23; 07-07-2007 at 09:42 AM.

Warriors Tame Tigers

by JP Abcede

Diminutive James Martinez played big in the game of giants, needling two three-point shots to take control of what was once a nip and tuck contest, 65-54, at the 2:51 mark of the fourth quarter. Martinez later gave the Red Warriors the highest lead, 73-58, from a breakaway layup.