Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

Default Re: Allen Iverson Retires

Quote Originally Posted by crounsa810
    Sad that he's going out this way.....

But what can you do. If he's not willing to not put himself and his stats first, its really hard to have pity for him..

Im sorry but its laughable that anyone would think AI is about the stats.

He may act like an ass, and may be a hard person to deal with. But I've never sat there and believed he was about his stats. Thats simply nonsense created by media and random other delusional people.

one of the best little guards to ever play. shame my knicks didnt sign him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    He's already accomplished more than anyone on this board ever will. AI latching onto a contender just to win a ring wouldn't do anything for his legacy... just like it didn't do anything for Gary Payton's legacy.

Props to AI for being one of the most entertaining Basketball players I've ever watched play the game.
    GTFO

AI legacy to me:

Redefined the Crossover Dribble
    A low percentage high volume chucker.
    Brought the hood into the NBA.
    Somewhat overrated.
    Not a winner.
    Game 1 of the 2001 Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by liljohnnywall
    AI legacy to me:

Redefined the Crossover Dribble
    A low percentage high volume chucker.
    Brought the hood into the NBA.
    Somewhat overrated.
    Not a winner.
    Game 1 of the 2001 Finals.
    You forgot this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEmS8ZQIhTA

I'll always love Iverson's game.

Decent college freshman

Default Re: Iverson Retiring...

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Too early imo. Could have easily killed a couple more franchises.
    Reported.

Saw a basketball once

The retirement of Iverson rids the NBA of another ball-hogging guard who didn't possess the true ability to make those around him better, which is why no team he ever played for ever did anything meaningful (outside of the 2001 Finals with Philly), and also why he can't find a home in the NBA now. No one needs an aging 6-foot guard with a poor attitude. Hopefully this is showing the end of the selfish Jordan wanna-be guards who chuck up a million shots a year and gives the kids who watch this NBA some better players to model their games off of.

Saw a basketball once

I also forgot, he doesn't need to practice, which should add to his legacy of greatness haha...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

He needs John Thompson to come and slap him upside his head and knock some sense and reality into him.

I don't think it's his time to go yet, but he needs to understand and embrace a reduced role.

I want to remember him for everything he brought to the game, but I can't help but think of the goings on from Detroit onwards in his career, and it's sad.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by imsmart21
    The retirement of Iverson rids the NBA of another ball-hogging guard who didn't possess the true ability to make those around him better, which is why no team he ever played for ever did anything meaningful (outside of the 2001 Finals with Philly), and also why he can't find a home in the NBA now. No one needs an aging 6-foot guard with a poor attitude. Hopefully this is showing the end of the selfish Jordan wanna-be guards who chuck up a million shots a year and gives the kids who watch this NBA some better players to model their games off of.
    Have you even read this thread, seen his career accomplishments? Alot of Hall of Famer's didn't win it all. Obviously the guy has attitude problems, he's proud and won't accept a bench role, but it still doesn't stop him from being one of the all-time greats. Jesus, the Iverson haters are worse than the Kobe homers here...

Local High School Star zabuza666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    Now hold up. I kind of agree, but see it from his point of view.

He has just put up so great numbers in Denver, won 50 games before losing to eventual champions in the first round.

Was anyone saying that he had to be a sixth man then? No.

Three games in, he gets traded to Detroit. Amid team chemistry issues like these: Lying coaches, shuffling lineups, etc, he has his worst year in his career.

Now everyone is saying that he is washed up, and that he cannot start and should be a sixth man. Why? I still dont know why. Honestly, why? People say that he cannot carry a team anymore. WTF? There is obviously something in between coming off the bench and carrying a team. The media dragged his name through the mud, with most saying that he simply doesnt have it anymore. After ONE bad year with a team going nowhere regardless.

At this point, Iverson was being called"selfish" and "stubborn" even though he has been quite the opposite. Selfish people dont let rookies practically live at his house. (Kyle Korver) Selfish people DO NOT sacrifice their BODY for the team. The passion and intensity he displayed did not convey selfishness to me.

Oh, I know he isnt perfect. I completely understand that.

Has he made some bad decisions? Yes.

Should he have complained after the first game he played in Memphis? No.
    (Sidenote: If you look at my game thread, I was b*tching too. Conley put on the absolute worst performance I have ever seen with my two eyes. It was very suspect that Iverson did not play more minutes even though he was showing no signs of discomfort and played better D and offense than his counterpart.)

Should he be hated this way? Hell no. Instead of people embracing him and appreciating him, they rather hate. Why? I have no clue. I mean if there was ever one NBA superstar I could honestly imitate, it would be him. He's around my height and weight, and he used his speed to humiliate opponents night in and out.

Now we have a retirement thread, and instead of people realizing what they are going to be missing, they rather repeat the same old.

Keep it up.
    You won.

If I could rep you I would

Local High School Star lukekarts's Avatar

I get what that article is trying to say.

Iverson was talented, but never had the mentality to take that talent to the level other winning guards, e.g. Kobe & Wade, have got. Which is a shame.

As great as he was, I can't help but feel he underachieved in his career, he should've won a ring, he could've won a ring, if he didn't take the burden of trying to win every game on his own.

National High School Star

What a shame. He can still contribute in this league.

It's interesting to compare his career with Kobe. Both are the top ballhogs and chuckers in NBA history but since one of them play for the commish's favorite franchise (Lakers) and the other refuse to compromise his hood ideals, one got (a bunch of undeserved) rings, the other doesn't.

Banned

he will be back around next year once he goes broke

Local High School Star markymark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iggy>
    sad to see, 34 years old and he still hasnt grown up
    We don't need your classic words of wisdom, thank you.