Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Exclamation Have We Seriously Overrated Ricky Rubio????

ok b4 90% of us had actually watched him we saw on youtube how he played he looked like God's Gift to the PG. People in Europe was talking about him like he was a gift, like a 17yr old David Beckham playing for England's National Team. Now that we have seen him a lot of us have realized how overrated he is. Alot of Ricky Lovers alot from Spain on this Forum are getting defensive. I was hearing that he was the Next Pistol Pete alot, Steve Nash and CP3. This cat only put up 1 pt against China?? you think a Senior in HS Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, OJ Mayo, Michael Beasley would score only 1pt against China Skinny PG as a HS senior Pistol Pete averaged 44pts in LSU. Heck OJ Mayo put up 21pts a Game for USC and ppl said he was overrated and thats why he dropped from the #1 pick to #3 pick, So why are we giving a pass to Ricky Rubio for his below mediocre performances day in day out?? i see on mock draft that he is going to be #1 pick Next Year so you cant give me that age garbage. He will be playing against CP3 and Williams in less than 365days in the NBA.

to speak like Cowherd of ESPN Radio

well he applies defensive pressure, no it was a mediocre performance
    well he can throw alley oops, no it was a mediocre performance

stop making excuses for him

Is it because he dominated ppl his age as a 16 yr playing U-17 Ball against Russia when has Russia ever been revelant in basketball come on now do you cats agree with me he would most likely turn out a Jose Caledron in BEST case scenario.
    Last edited by lilojmayo; 08-18-2008 at 12:34 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Have We Seriously Overrated Ricky Rubio????

olympic play explains everything, obviously

from what I've heard his shooting need major improvement but everything else (court vision, passing, leadership, maturity, ball handling and hustle) is all above average.

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo
    ok b4 90% of us had actually watched him we saw on youtube how he played he looked like God's Gift to the PG. People in Europe was talking about him like he was a gift, like a 17yr old David Beckham playing for England's National Team. Now that we have seen him a lot of us have realized how overrated he is. Alot of Ricky Lovers alot from Spain on this Forum are getting defensive. I was hearing that he was the Next Pistol Pete alot, Steve Nash and CP3. This cat only put up 1 pt against China?? you think a Senior in HS Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, OJ Mayo, Michael Beasley would score only 1pt against China Skinny PG as a HS senior Pistol Pete averaged 44pts in LSU. Heck OJ Mayo put up 21pts a Game for USC and ppl said he was overrated and thats why he dropped from the #1 pick to #3 pick, So why are we giving a pass to Ricky Rubio for his below mediocre performances day in day out?? i see on mock draft that he is going to be #1 pick Next Year so you cant give me that age garbage. He will be playing against CP3 and Williams in less than 365days in the NBA.

Is it because he dominated ppl his age as a 16 yr playing U-17 Ball against Russia when has Russia ever been revelant in basketball come on now do you cats agree with me he would most likely turn out a Jose Caledron in BEST case scenario.

Nice try hater. He is already better than Calderon.

Pelican Brief

I really think its hard to rate a player on how he plays against USA and the other olympic teams. Yeah China isnt a particulary strong team, and im sure Lebron,Carmelo and Pistol Pete would have done more than one point. But again those guys are great players, and one is a legend. Its unfair of anybody let alone Ricky lovers to compair him to CP3,let alone a legend like Pistol Pete.

Off of potential alone though the guy should go in the top 5 if not number 1 next year in the draft. I'm going to admit I dont really know what kind of player he's going to turn out to be. But I know that he's a good PG prospect.

i'm writing this for like sixth time now.

name me one USA point guard prospect born in 1990 you think could have done as well as rubio did against team USA point guards. just one. then we'll talk.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    olympic play explains everything, obviously
    Well it's not a good sign that when he finally goes up against these NBA caliber athletes who people claim he is on par or better with, their athleticism clearly overwhelmed him.

'we'? not me.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Rekindled
    Nice try hater. He is already better than Calderon.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat r u serious

He's a very talented PG, but people should stop comparing him to CP3, Larry Bird, and Pete Maravich because those guys had proven that they can be great players in the NBA.

Let the kid grow, and add some improvement in his arsenal by playing 2 more years in the Euroleague.

I am pretty sure Jrue Holliday and Brandon Jennings would have been able to produce much better. American born PGs play against pressure defense as soon as they enter into organized basketball.

Only thing I seem to have overrated is the intelligence of the posters on this board.

Rubio has done everything expected of him, and more, and yet we see these kinds of posts constantly. He's not a scorer and noone ever said he was, so I frankly dont care how many points he scored against China. He is a leader though and started the 4th quarter comeback that allowed Spain to win that game, he's a defender and made the stop that allowed them to get OT, he's a passer and has demonstrated that against China as well as every other teams he's played.

Against the USA he was overmatched physically and it showed, which is definetly an aspect of his game he will need to work on. But then everyone is skinny at 17.

He's not a great shooter either, and that too is something he will need to work on.

I'll still say this though, if my team had a chance at getting him in the draft I would want them to, no matter what # that pick might be. And no I'm not spanish.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sharas
    i'm writing this for like sixth time now.

name me one USA point guard prospect born in 1990 you think could have done as well as rubio did against team USA point guards. just one. then we'll talk.
    Very True.

Best Guards 18 & under in the World:
    1.Ricky Rubio
    2.Anthony Wroten Jr
    3.Matias Nocedal
    4.Brandon Jennings
    5.Brandon Knight

I am Chris Wilcox

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    Well it's not a good sign that when he finally goes up against these NBA caliber athletes who people claim he is on par or better with, their athleticism clearly overwhelmed him.
    Well, he was playing against 12 of the best NBA players on 1 team. When in the NBA, you aren't attacked with that much talent, skill, ability and athleticism at any one time.

His performance against the US should not be held as focal point or a bench mark, for what he could possibly do in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by southside 101
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat r u serious
    Name Min FG FG % 3 point % Assist PPG
    J. Calderon 105 12/35 34 26 5 6.8
    Ricky Rubio 78 7/20 35 33 16 5.0
    Last edited by Rekindled; 08-18-2008 at 12:34 PM.