Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Why I Must Believe In A Higher Being

Now, I know a lot of you disagree current religion, and in some cases I can understand why. This thread isnt for that though. What I am saying here is that I cannot NOT believe in a higher being. Even if I am not sure what that higher being is, I must believe it exists. This form of "atheism" where there was nothing and then there was something is not only EXTREMELY unlikely, but it is not possible.

Sometimes I just take a walk outside and look at the beautiful scenery and it kind of dawns about me that I know nothing of where I came and nothing about where I will go. When I die, I may just rot forever. There may not be a afterlife, but that is not the question. What was the beginning? Scientists themselves have no idea. There are many theories for how the universe began, but nothing to say how our current realm began. If our universe is surrounded by other universes, where did all these universes come from? If there was some crazy event we cant comprehend that created countless universes, what caused that? How far do things go? Its crazy to think about really, and for that reason I tend to lean towards their being a creator rather than there being nothing and everything just happening. Life right now is like a book where the first 3 quarters of it are ripped out and we are trying to put together the pieces, some of which will never be found.

Its depressing.

Banned

Default Re: Why I Must Believe In A Higher Being

How is it depressing?

Stop thinking so deep into it and just enjoy it while you're here. You'll figure out the answers later.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    How is it depressing?
    Because we know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverHeat
    Because we know nothing.
    Which explains why religion got so popular.

Banned

OP,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26565Mv_6BQ

"If you a scared mother****er go to church"

Banned

Shade

Life is beautiful. It's amazing. You just have to sit back and realize how extraordinary life can be outside of our ordinary life. Nature is gorgeous. The way science operate is.

College superstar

I always find it interesting how religious people seem to be experts on Atheism and what Atheists believe.

Atheism doesn't say "there was nothing before the Big Bang and then there was something". Atheism disagrees with what religion (All 4000 of them) says about creationism being responsible for life in the Universe. We don't have the answers, but neither do you.

It's not ****ing hard to understand.

Banned

The quantum world is a place where cause and effect as we understand them don't really apply and it is in the underlying fabric of our entire universe.

It's ok to not know everything...it's actually one of the most important things to come to terms with if you want to broaden your horizons. But to default to a positive position of knowledge of a deity or deities...that seems a bit presumptuous to say the least.

Check out "A Universe From Nothing" by Krauss for some ideas.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by step_back
    I always find it interesting how religious people seem to be experts on Atheism and what Atheists believe.

Atheism doesn't say "there was nothing before the Big Bang and then there was something". Atheism disagrees with what religion (All 4000 of them) says about creationism being responsible for life in the Universe. We don't have the answers, but neither do you.

It's not ****ing hard to understand.
    If you disagree with a specific religion, then fine. But you cant disagree with the whole of creationism because you do not know the theories behind "all 4000" religions. You cannot disagree with something you dont actually know about. The only way you can disagree with creationism as a broader term is to actually disprove it or to bring forth your own theory, neither or which atheism has done.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
    The quantum world is a place where cause and effect as we understand them don't really apply and it is in the underlying fabric of our entire universe.

It's ok to not know everything...it's actually one of the most important things to come to terms with if you want to broaden your horizons. But to default to a positive position of knowledge of a deity or deities...that seems a bit presumptuous to say the least.

Check out "A Universe From Nothing" by Krauss for some ideas.
    I will do that.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverHeat
    If you disagree with a specific religion, then fine. But you cant disagree with the whole of creationism because you do not know the theories behind "all 4000" religions. You cannot disagree with something you dont actually know about. The only way you can disagree with creationism as a broader term is to actually disprove it or to bring forth your own theory, neither or which atheism has done.
    1. Name a religion that doesn't have a deity responsible for life then?

2. You mean like you're doing and religions tend to do? Oh the irony

3. Still waiting for you religious people to prove the existence of god. Also Atheism does have a theory, how can you even type that in a serious manner

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by step_back
    1. Name a religion that doesn't have a deity responsible for life then?

2. You mean like you're doing and religions tend to do? Oh the irony

3. Still waiting for you religious people to prove the existence of god. Also Atheism does have a theory, how can you even type that in a serious manner
    Firstly, if god is indeed real, then it cannot be proved without doubt in this life. One may point to many things in this world which can signal the presence of a god, but it cannot be proved scientifically until you die. So if religion is correct, it still cannot be proved. That is why its called faith.

Now, if you dont have faith and you disagree with it because it has no stone cold evidence, then isnt it a bit ironic that you then turn to atheism, which also has no stone cold evidence for how life came about? Its the pot calling the kettle black.

As far as Atheism having a theory, didnt you say this?

Whatever helps you sleep at night

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Life is beautiful. It's amazing. You just have to sit back and realize how extraordinary life can be outside of our ordinary life. Nature is gorgeous. The way science operate is.
    Aren't you from NY? Do even nature!? And Central Park doesn't count