Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
    Serious playground baller

Default Dirk is better than KG.

Watching this Laker game made me realize that Dirk has been a great scorer and go to in the league. Sure he can be a defensive liability, but overall he's been a superior player than Garnett. The Garnett vs Duncan debate is silly, mainly because Duncan has been markedly better. But I have to give the nod to Dirk on this matchup

Default Re: Dirk is better than KG.

whats new?

I usually hit open layups Donnybrook's Avatar

You don't get points for defense. Despite Dirk being a better scorer, KG has more overall impact, and always has. They're both great players, but Dirk is quiet when he isn't scoring or in rhythm.

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westsideozzie
    Watching this Laker game made me realize that Dirk has been a great scorer and go to in the league. Sure he can be a defensive liability, but overall he's been a superior player than Garnett. The Garnett vs Duncan debate is silly, mainly because Duncan has been markedly better. But I have to give the nod to Dirk on this matchup
    Regardless of the same old, same old KG vs Dirk debate.. What is this? 2002?

No. Not very close either.

Call me when KG can carry a team like 2011 Dirk.

Very good NBA starter

For the next 2 years I'm taking KG. He will always hustle, play great team Defense and very solid Post defense while giving you an occasional 25 point game.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    No. Not very close either.
    Um, it's definitely close. Don't be stupid.

You can't go wrong with either. You got Dirk's take over ability as a scorer, while being the ultimate stretch 4, single handedly providing spacing for teammates.

Or KG's all around play, masterful help defense.

I'll lean towards Garnett if all things are equal, but it's close.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    Not many players could have done what he did, that was incredible.

5-time NBA All-Star

Dirk didn't really carry that team. When their defensive anchor left that team, Dirk couldn't win a playoff game the next year. Carrying a team is like when KG lead his team in rebounds, points and be their defensive anchor in the regluar season and post season and finals like KG did. Dirk does his part of the pie which is score. Without Chandler they didn't win a playoff game because defense is a big piece of the pie. Marion and Kidd had the best defensive run probably ever in a playoff run in that year, both stopping two all time greats. Kidd also lead the team in assist and steals. Terry was their most accurate shooter over their last three wins. Tyson Chandler was their defensive anchor and lead the team in rebounds. Dirk was impressive and had big impact but lets not get carried away. You can't carry a team by scoring alone. Durant is a much bigger scorer than Dirk ever was. And he doesn't carry a team - he leads them but he doesn't carry them.

Besides why is OP saying this in a game Kobe will likely out clutch Dirk anyway?

Good college starter Kevin_Garnett_5's Avatar

Call me when Dirk can anchor one of the best defenses in NBA history while being his teams best rebounder, scorer, and 4th quarter scorer in the Playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Garnett_5
    Call me when Dirk can anchor one of the best defenses in NBA history while being his teams best rebounder, scorer, and 4th quarter scorer in the Playoffs.
    Call me when you start hating on KG for team hopping for rings like you do to LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Dirk didn't really carry that team. When their defensive anchor left that team, Dirk couldn't win a playoff game the next year. Carrying a team is like when KG lead his team in rebounds, points and be their defensive anchor in the regluar season and post season and finals like KG did. Dirk does his part of the pie which is score. Without Chandler they didn't win a playoff game because defense is a big piece of the pie. Marion and Kidd had the best defensive run probably ever in a playoff run in that year, both stopping two all time greats. Kidd also lead the team in assist and steals. Terry was their most accurate shooter over their last three wins. Tyson Chandler was their defensive anchor and lead the team in rebounds. Dirk was impressive and had big impact but lets not get carried away. You can't carry a team by scoring alone. Durant is a much bigger scorer than Dirk ever was. And he doesn't carry a team - he leads them but he doesn't carry them.

Besides why is OP saying this in a game Kobe will likely out clutch Dirk anyway?
    Please. If you replace Dirk with Lamarcus Aldridge it's an easy first round exit for them, maybe a sweep.

Good college starter Kevin_Garnett_5's Avatar

Call me when you start hating on KG for team hopping for rings like you do to LeBron.
    When have I ever hated on Lebron? Please find one post of me ever saying anything negative about Lebron and then get back to me.

And KG was traded to a team that won 24 games the previous season. And he didn't even want to leave the Timberwolves in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Garnett_5
    When have I ever hated on Lebron? Please find one post of me ever saying anything negative about Lebron and then get back to me.

And KG was traded to a team that won 24 games the previous season. And he didn't even want to leave the Timberwolves in the first place.
    A large portion of the forum hates LeBron for that. KG couldn't win a ship with the wolves, so he joined up with 2 other stars of the time so he could actually win one. While on the other hand Dirk stayed loyal, persevered, and won with a 2nd option of Jason Terry. Kg could NEVER dream of that.