Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Kareem: "Why I converted to Islam"

Quote Originally Posted by stanlove1111
    There should only be one reason someone converts to a different religion, because they believe the teachings. I didn't see Jabbar say this here.

He basically said he did it because it got him back to his black routes and away from white teachings. Jabbar had a big chip on his shoulder back then and was obsessed with race and saw slight everywhere from whites and so many blacks do. One big reason him and Wilt didn't get along.

Anyone want to start a list of players Jabbar got in fights with.

I respect current day Jabbar a lot but back then race and feeling slighted consumed him.
    Did you read the full article? http://america.aljazeera.com/opinion...-to-islam.html

He is a great guy.
    Last edited by pauk; 03-30-2015 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    I don't understand what's African about Islam? Yeah, there's a lot of Muslims in Northern Africa, but it didn't originate there, and the majority of them aren't black.
    Who do you think was doing quite well in the Subsaharan slavery business centuries before the arrival of the white devil?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax
    You don't see alot of Whites, Orientals and Jews convert to Islam.

hint = its a dumb religion and those races can see through it.
    Going by that logic, Hispanics are the smartest. There's like 5 Hispanic Muslims in the entire world. We are overwhelmingly Christian, Roman Catholic to be exact.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease GilZero's Avatar

Religion is literally the worst thing on earth.

I dont give a shit if you're muslim, christian, hindu, buddhist, whatever. It's an easy fix to a question science cant answer. Yet.

Youtube Dawkins or Hitchens and listen. Should be mandatory in school.

Quote Originally Posted by gcvbcat
    I am a Christian living in India & I have been exposed to most historically significant religions in the world, all except Judaism.

What I have observed is that Christianity & Jesus set u free from a lot of restrictilons that other religions force down on their followers.

I am free to eat what I want, when I want, wear what I want, I can shave/ get a haircut any day of the week, any time of the day. I can pray when I want, I can clip my nails inside or outside during the day or night....I can read religious texts of other religions & partake in their ritual without fear of repurcursions from fellow Christians.

Other relegions do not allow this freedom. Infact people can be killed for converting.

Christianity & probably Judaism are the only religions that are compatible with the ever changing modern world.
    Including (for Christianity) - backsliding - once saved, always saved - by faith, not works. You have free will although some believe in pre-destination.

For the orthodox Jews, there are lots of restrictions - kosher food, no mixing dairy with meat, no WORK (as in not even turning on the light switch) on the sabbath, gotta clean at certain time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by GilZero

I dont give a shit if you're muslim, christian, hindu, buddhist, whatever. It's an easy fix to a question science cant answer. Yet.

Science is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of TESTABLE explanations and predictions about the universe. TESTABLE - meaning not THEORY. And if science can't answer, why should you care what people believe in to get them through life?

I guess you believe that there was a big bang and everything just magically came together to form this pretty much perfect world. And that the awesome specimen that is Lebron James just evolved by RANDOM.

When one is in need, then religion is something to turn to. When one is happy, healthy - not so much. Maybe we should remember that that health and happiness can be taken away at a moment's notice.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    Probably better to become an athiest
    Why? I'd much rather convert to Islam than remain a Catholic for example, tbf. Most people would, in my opinion.

Cry me a river.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Not the way the news portrays them
    How exactly does the news project them?

Beta

Quote Originally Posted by RightToCensor
    How exactly does the news project them?
    Jihadists trying to destroy America and Western Civilization usually.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by GilZero

Extremism is the problem not religion. I have listened to Dawkins and Hitchens and its clear that while they understand Science they don't understand non extremist religion. Thinking science proves all religion wrong is ignorant and that's what they both do.

Quote Originally Posted by gcvbcat
    What I have observed is that Christianity & Jesus set u free from a lot of restrictilons that other religions force down on their followers.
    Except the part about believing the right way or burning in hell forever. And you forget how restrictive the middle ages were in Europe when Christianity held full sway.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    I guess you believe that there was a big bang and everything just magically came together to form this pretty much perfect world. And that the awesome specimen that is Lebron James just evolved by RANDOM.
    It came together by natural processes, and Wilt Chamberlain is the one in a billion athletes that comes along once every century or so.

Very good NBA starter

I feel for peaceful Muslims who may have to defend themselves verbally or physically. I've befriended a number of Muslims at my university, despite us having diametrically opposed views on the Israel-Palestine conflict. having said that, I wonder what Kareem's thoughts are not on ISIS (which is real easy to denounce, takes no significant effort to denounce their heinous crimes), but rather his thoughts on the repressive governments of the Islamic Republic of Iran or Saudi Arabia (which beheads 'criminals' regularly) or other Islamic states with repressive regimes and laws. Also wonder what his thoughts are on the anti-semitism in the muslim/Arabic world, which has been rife past couple hundred years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisem...the_Arab_world

So he has an issue with racism (race discrimination), but has no problem with sexism (gender discrimination).