Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast
    owwwww

Post Michael Jordan Anti-clutch Log

We all know MJ is one of the clutchest players of all time. But what I am really interested in is to recall/note some of his anti-clutch moments, because you never really hear about them.

I'll start with some, feel free to continue. There are tons of incidents but I haven't really looked or tried to remember that hard. Just listing some for now that I remember.

Lets begin:

Oct 27, 1984 vs. Bucks, Jordan misses potential game tying jumper at the end of regulation. Bucks rebound his miss and time expires. Bulls lose 108-106.

Dec 14, 1984 vs. Nets, Jordan misses potential game tying jumper with 28 seconds left. Nets go on to win 111-109.

Nov 6, 1986 vs. Pistons
    - Jordan misses 2 FTs in the last three minutes of the game, and commits two costly turnovers. As a result, Bulls lose a close game to the Pistons.

Nov 26, 1986 vs. Denver - Jordan goes 0-4 on the last 1:30. Bulls lose a close one as Denver wins 109-107.

Dec 5, 1986 vs. Phoenix - Jordan has two shot attempts to send the game to overtime or win it outright, but fails to do so. He misses a shot with 1 second left as the Suns win 114-112.

Dec 31, 1986 vs. Warriors - Jordan misses a long game tying three point attempt at the buzzer.

Mar 26, 1987 vs. Nets
    : Jordan misses 2 consecutive FTs near with one minute left (as the Nets are up 107-103) and misses a potential game tying jumper at the buzzer. Bulls lose 109-107.

Game 4 vs. Cavs in 1989: In the game before "the shot", Jordan missed a last second shot in overtime and missed a crucial freethrow near the end of the game as well.

Nov 3, 1990 vs. Bullets
    : With 35 seconds left, Jordan misses a short jumper. Then on the ensuing possession he gets his layup blocked at the basket by Horace Grant's brother (who played for the Bullets). Bulls lose 103-102.

Nov 21 vs. Suns, 1990: Misses his last 5 shots in the fourth. Suns end up winning at the buzzer, 109-107.

Jan 23, 1991 vs. Nets: Jordan goes 1-4, and misses three crucial shots as Bulls lose to the Nets 99-95.

March 26, 1991 vs. Nets: misses two clutch free throws with a minute left, and the last shot. Bulls lose 109-107 as a result.

1991 NBA finals, Game 1: Jordan goes 0-2 in the last 30 seconds. Bulls had the lead with 30 seconds left, but Perkins would take advantage of Jordan's missed shots as Lakers won game 1.

March 2, 1992: Jordan fouls Jeff Malone on the last play of the game and then gets ejected as he can't control his emotions. Jazz win the game due to the freethrows as a result.

June 10, 1992 vs. Blazers (finals): Jordan goes scoreless for the last 10 minutes of the fourth quarter! Blazers tie the series 2-2 after winning a close game.

Dec 17 1991 vs. Lakers:
    Bulls trying to come back in the 4th quarter, however Jordan made 0 shots in the fourth quarter and missed his last 10 shots. The most notable miss is him blowing a dunk on an open fast break that would have cut the Laker lead to 6. This and Jordan's poor fourth quarter performance ruined any chance of a comeback.

Game 1 vs. Knicks 1993:
    Jordan goes just 2 for his last 12 shot. Knicks pull away as Jordan was a no show in the second half, and was scoreless for several key stretches in the second half.

Mar 11, 1993 vs. Heat:
    Jordan misses his last 4 shots and misses a simple floater with 2 seconds left which would have tied the game. Bulls lose 97-95.

1993 ECF vs. Knicks (game 6):
    Goes 0-7 in fourth quarter (Pippen bails Bulls out with clutch shots though).

Game 1 of 1995 series vs. Magic: Jordan's nightmare minute.

Game 4 vs. Jazz (1997): Jordan goes 1-3 in the closing minutes, and turns the ball over on a crucial possession as Stockton took the ball away from him. On the next play, Jordan would miss again on and as a result, the Jazz seal the game.

1998 ECF vs. Pacers, Game 3: Jordan misses crucial FT and the last shot to eliminate any chance of comeback. He would just hit one shot in the last 7 minutes of the game.

1998 ECF vs. Pacers, Game 4: Jordan misses game winning three pointer despite getting a clean look.

Oct 30, 2001 vs. Knicks:
    Misses potential game tying three pointer with 18 seconds left and commits two costly turnovers before this shot. Wizards lose 93-91.

Apr 12 vs. Hawks, 2003:
    misses potential gamewinner at buzzer. Wizards lose 101-100.

What's the point of this thread? Well, one to see that Jordan was human and did fail time and time again in crunchtime (he didn't have the scrutiny of the internet that players now do), and two, it's just interesting and almost bizzare seeing Jordan fail at the end of games (the idea most people seem to have is Jordan probably suceeded like 80% of the time...). I think his fans will find these incidents interesting as well (I know I do!). Again, no one is debating the clutchness of Michael, it's impossible to given his record.

I think we can list hundreds on incidents, I'll keep updating. There are a lot I haven't listed yet but will soon.
    Last edited by Fatal9; 08-10-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Banned

Default Re: Michael Jordan Anti-clutch Log

It happens to the best of them. He's still the most clutch player ever.

Banned

Wow

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    It happens to the best of them. He's still the most clutch player ever.
    Yup, which is why it's so interesting to see. When some posters here are going to see Jordan went scoreless in the last 10 minutes of a finals game, they are going to be shocked. I've noticed a lot of players lately (like Lebron, Wade, Kobe etc) get a lot of hate for not performing in the clutch, but you'll see as this thread progresses, even the greatest clutch performer failed tons of times in clutch moments.

Banned

So Sad.

he admits it himself on a famous commercial. so why act like this is something new or you uncovered some new secret? quite sad.

owwwww

What are the Jordan fans of this board huffing and puffing about? No one is denying his clutchness. Are you not interested to see some of the incidents that aren't showcased in his latest DVD?

Like Duma said, Jordan even talks about this in his commercial. What this thread is doing is just getting a bit more specific.

Banned

Maybe if we all just report his first post someone will finally ban him?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    What are the Jordan fans of this board huffing and puffing about? No one is denying his clutchness. Are you not interested to see some of the incidents that aren't showcased in his latest DVD?

Like Duma said, Jordan even talks about this in his commercial. What this thread is doing is just getting a bit more specific.
    Oh, of course. That's what this thread is doing?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone112
    Maybe if we all just report his first post someone will finally ban him?
    I say we have fun with this one. No need for snitching, unlike somebody's favorite player is known to do from time to time.

Jan 23, 1991 vs. Nets: Jordan goes 1-4, and misses three crucial shots as Bulls lose to the Nets 99-95.
    March 26, 1991 vs. Nets: misses two clutch free throws with a minute left, and the last shot. Bulls lose 109-107 as a result.
    Who could forget the all-mighty Nets of the 90's.

3-time NBA All-Star

Hundreds? HAHAHAA. No one has said the guy is perfect. They've said he's the most clutch and significantly more clutch then some of the guy's he's compared to (Kobe, Lebron, etc.), which is completely true. And lol @ you actually looking for incidents. And missing a shot is not being "not clutch". And the Pacers game 4 was not a great look. It was under a second left, he had to double-pump the shot, and he was a few feet behind the 3-point line. And you say you don't have an agenda?
    Last edited by guy; 07-20-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Banned

Why does everyone want to ban fatal? You guys seem to be way to demanding on here, first you ban rocketgreatness who didn't seem to terrible and now you want to ban this guy? Maybe I just haven't seen the two post enough, but oh well.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

This is the basketball equivalent of exploring the dark side of the moon (I make this reference to celebrate the moon landing btw). This sort of compelling research is something you ban posters over? Right....

And I can almost guarantee you, there will be a 100+ incidents by the time this thread is over. Looks like the Jordan fans aren't going to contribute so I have to do this all on my own.
    Do what all on your own? Do you not think that people know Jordan failed in the clutch sometimes

You should just be banned for being a fucking idiot

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Why does everyone want to ban fatal? You guys seem to be way to demanding on here, first you ban rocketgreatness who didn't seem to terrible and now you want to ban this guy? Maybe I just haven't seen the two post enough, but oh well.
    I don't want him banned, I have a strict no snitching policy. Besides, the dude is hilarious. He STILL thinks he's fooling people after he's been so badly exposed on this site over and over again. He's a laughing stock. But since he brought this on himself...

I've noticed a lot of players lately (like Lebron, Wade, Kobe etc) get a lot of hate for not performing in the clutch
    Now who is hating on players like Lebron for not being clutch? Hmmmmm...

From the thread 'The Shot' (Lebron's game winner against ORL):

Lebron ISN'T clutch though. He made one shot. He was horrible in the fourth, going 1-5 and 3 turnovers. There's a reason the Magic took the lead near the end. He was quiet in the fourth last game too, just let the Magic take over and steal a game.
    You do realize Lebron's play in the fourth quarter was the reason Orlando took the lead in the first place, right? He then made one of the worst defended catch-and-shoot jumpers I've ever seen in the playoffs.
    Interesting.