Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Go Spurs Go

Default Re: Gold is the best investment

blows my mind that years ago someone convinced a bunch of people that some shiny rocks are valuable (gold, diamonds, etc).

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
    blows my mind that years ago someone convinced a bunch of people that some shiny rocks are valuable (gold, diamonds, etc).
    Really? who is this someone that you speak of?

I don't own gold because it's shiny... I have it for different purposes. But if something looks good, why to you is that not a reason for it to be valuable? Is all art worthless too? Who are you to judge that? So jewelry really is worthless?

Also, a lot of you guys are arguing over semantics. It's the equivalent of a philosopher asking if a chair is really a chair. It really is a chair, but if you theoretically look at it, it's just . I really don't benefit from any answer to that question regardless of how true that answer is...

Hume>Kunt.

No, gold is not the best investment. There are investments that are protected from anything aside from a complete market crash and actually appreciate. Gold appreciates and depreciates depending on the current market.

Quote Originally Posted by Jello
    No, gold is not the best investment. There are investments that are protected from anything aside from a complete market crash and actually appreciate. Gold appreciates and depreciates depending on the current market.
    Anyone thinking of investing in Gold should google "Gold Bubble" before they do

[QUOTE]It is always easier to identify assets that are bubbling than to predict when the bubble will pop. Gold has much more downside than upside at this point, but this has been true for years without slowing price gains. Home prices and tech stocks also suggest that bubbles can exist for years even after objective measures (e.g. P/E ratios or rent to buy ratios) show that markets are out of equilibrium.

It is anybody

Go Spurs Go

Quote Originally Posted by falc39
    Really? who is this someone that you speak of?

I don't own gold because it's shiny... I have it for different purposes. But if something looks good, why to you is that not a reason for it to be valuable? Is all art worthless too? Who are you to judge that? So jewelry really is worthless?

Also, a lot of you guys are arguing over semantics. It's the equivalent of a philosopher asking if a chair is really a chair. It really is a chair, but if you theoretically look at it, it's just . I really don't benefit from any answer to that question regardless of how true that answer is...

this dude comparing a rock to ART.
    yea bro lemme go outside and grab some dirt.. thats more valuable than a painting, or song, or sculpture.

National High School Star

this dude comparing a rock to ART.
    yea bro lemme go outside and grab some dirt.. thats more valuable than a painting, or song, or sculpture.
    what's a painting? it's just a piece of paper with patterns of paint splotched all over it. you can't eat it, you can't build anything with it, it just looks good to some people (sounds a lot like gold!). It can't even function as a currency. At least gold can. You see, I just proved that all paintings are worthless. Why do people even buy paintings? What a bunch of dummies... amirite???

Not airballing my layups anymore TheCommish's Avatar

Gold is used to protect your purchasing power. If you bought 1 ounce of gold in 1913, you still have 1 ounce of gold right now. If you had 1 dollar back in 1913, it is worth about $0.02, give or take.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCommish
    Gold is used to protect your purchasing power. If you bought 1 ounce of gold in 1913, you still have 1 ounce of gold right now.[COLOR="Red"] If you had 1 dollar back in 1913, it is worth about $0.02, give or take.[/COLOR]
    no it would have gained intrest the whole time...

Go Spurs Go

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    no it would have gained intrest the whole time...

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I've watched the first and second season of the show Gold Rush on Discovery. The Hoffman crew who are second season gold miners went up to Alaska and mined for 93 ounces of gold. Which is like almost 5x more they did the season before because they were major noobs.
    That's a good show. My cousin actually just bought a gold claim out in BC, so I'm gonna be doing some gold panning this summer. I doubt we'll find much gold, but it should be fun.

Some very uneducated kids in this thread. Like most things, investing in Gold is not a sure thing or the "best" investment. Still, Gold is not a "fad" that will go away. Golds value has nothing to do with what it looks like.

Precious and base metals have made plenty of people money lately. The scrap industry is still booming, and while some experts "claim" that prices are going down for "insert reason here", these experts are just making guesses and have been wrong almost daily. If the market was easily played, anyone with money would be raking in the cash right now. It's not though because there are so many factors involved in the industry, and knowing the intentions of everyone is impossible.

Go Spurs Go

Quote Originally Posted by statman32
    Some very uneducated kids in this thread. Like most things, investing in Gold is not a sure thing or the "best" investment. Still, Gold is not a "fad" that will go away. Golds value has nothing to do with what it looks like.

Precious and base metals have made plenty of people money lately. The scrap industry is still booming, and while some experts "claim" that prices are going down for "insert reason here", these experts are just making guesses and have been wrong almost daily. If the market was easily played, anyone with money would be raking in the cash right now. It's not though because there are so many factors involved in the industry, and knowing the intentions of everyone is impossible.
    gold has no functional purpose. it does nothing that simple aluminum foil couldnt do.

gold has no functional purpose. it does nothing that simple aluminum foil couldnt do.
    You are incredibly ignorant

Gold is used in electronics everywhere. It's one of the few metals that isn't affected by moisture. Gold is not only the most malleable but it's the most ductile metal that has ever been discovered.
    Last edited by QUIZZLE; 03-03-2012 at 07:30 AM.

2012 I rep flatulence Cowboy Thunder's Avatar

copper > gold

College star

I'd much rather invest in companies which are in the chemistry business or electricity (BASF, General Electric), car companies (Toyota, BMW). Companies that produce hard values. They'll always be there, and barring major mismanagement, remain world leaders in the business.