Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #46
BFRESH44
Good college starter
 
BFRESH44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coral Gables/Miami, FL
Posts: 2,898
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR
a lot of people drive to the hoop, take elbows to the face, and don't get the calls. one example is andres nocioni, another is ben gordon. the refs choose who they want to be a star by giving him/them the benefit of the doubt. you see it with real stars like lebron james and then you see it with players like wade.
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #47
guy
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,238
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
I play and coach basketball, moron. And yes, I avoid being fouled if possible. Like making an easy layup quickly, instead of waiting for the guy to jump on me hoping for an "and 1."

Since when did players EVER pass up easy layups?
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #48
JPR
Local High School Star
 
JPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,558
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFRESH44

if wade was a real superstar, he would of charged the lane in the Garden opposed to being scared of james posey and settling for a bricked jump shot at the end of regulation leading to another C's victory. wade thinks he is better than he is.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #49
gabeh1018
High School Varsity 6th Man
 
gabeh1018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 706
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR
if wade was a real superstar, he would of charged the lane in the Garden opposed to being scared of james posey and settling for a bricked jump shot at the end of regulation leading to another C's victory. wade thinks he is better than he is.


maybe he chose not to win the game on FT's so we wouldn't have to hear from people like you

but this thread still exists.

gabeh1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #50
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater
 
XxNeXuSxX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UConn
Posts: 7,427
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
I play and coach basketball, moron. And yes, I avoid being fouled if possible. Like making an easy layup quickly, instead of waiting for the guy to jump on me hoping for an "and 1."
Conceited?
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #51
Chocogrease
Serious playground baller
 
Chocogrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: house
Posts: 395
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR
if wade was a real superstar, he would of charged the lane in the Garden opposed to being scared of james posey and settling for a bricked jump shot at the end of regulation leading to another C's victory. wade thinks he is better than he is.

well, if you watched the game, you woulda seen how much SPACE he had. i would've taken a jumper if my defender was 5 ****ing feet away from me while i was just above the FT line.
Chocogrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #52
BFRESH44
Good college starter
 
BFRESH44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coral Gables/Miami, FL
Posts: 2,898
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR
if wade was a real superstar, he would of charged the lane in the Garden opposed to being scared of james posey and settling for a bricked jump shot at the end of regulation leading to another C's victory. wade thinks he is better than he is.

BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #53
SomeBunghole
Banned
 
SomeBunghole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 716
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
Since when did players EVER pass up easy layups?

You missed the point. Players today are taught to look for contact. I'm not talking about passing up easy layups, I'm talking about hesitating in order to get a guy off his feet, and hoping to earn an "and1." Of course, quite often this leads to a hard foul which makes the guy miss the layup in the first place and then have to make 2 FTs.

Look at players like Marion or Harpring and the way they play around the rim. Both of these guys look to just put the ball in the basket as quickly as possible. No hesitation, just going up. If you get fouled, you get fouled. If not, you got yourself 2 points.

I'm not talking about waiting for your man to leave his feet so you have less chance of getting blocked. I'm talking about throwing yourself into a guy, often making your shot more difficult than it was in the first place, in order to get that extra FT. Why complicate things?
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:31 PM   #54
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09
 
kobedaman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Land of 16 NBA Championships
Posts: 2,953
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo3y91
seriously thats sooooo bad!!!!
Let's see you do better..
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #55
Chocogrease
Serious playground baller
 
Chocogrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: house
Posts: 395
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
You missed the point. Players today are taught to look for contact. I'm not talking about passing up easy layups, I'm talking about hesitating in order to get a guy off his feet, and hoping to earn an "and1." Of course, quite often this leads to a hard foul which makes the guy miss the layup in the first place and then have to make 2 FTs.

Look at players like Marion or Harpring and the way they play around the rim. Both of these guys look to just put the ball in the basket as quickly as possible. No hesitation, just going up. If you get fouled, you get fouled. If not, you got yourself 2 points.

I'm not talking about waiting for your man to leave his feet so you have less chance of getting blocked. I'm talking about throwing yourself into a guy, often making your shot more difficult than it was in the first place, in order to get that extra FT. Why complicate things?

if i didnt fake or hesitate, i would have been cleanly blocked the sh*t out of me...
Chocogrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #56
SomeBunghole
Banned
 
SomeBunghole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 716
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobum
please read this carefully - i think i must have typed it out in ten different discussions about wade and "throwing into defenders." when a defending player jumps on a shot-fake to attempt a block he is relying on his athleticism, impulsiveness rather than the fundamentals of the game - "what actually to do." naturally when a defender makes that mistake, it is not only "ok" but your duty as on offensive player to take advantage of the mistake and punish the defender for the mistake. STAY ON THE F*CKING GROUND WITH YOUR ARMS UP (any coach will tell you that), especially on the wing, mid range area, etc. for wade to be bashed because he capitalizes on the defender's mistake is laughable. [EDIT: this is, obviously, regarding jump shooting. i'm not saying a defender shouldn't attempt to block at all].

Wade, and the rest of his ilk, do not get their FTs because defenders leave their feet. They get them by running into defenders who are usually on the ground. And in the last 10-15 years, the NBA has done everything in their power to help them do that.

First, there was the introduction of the "restricted area," which is such a load of bullsh*t. How do you figure that if your job as a defender is to prevent the other team from putting the ball in your basket, that it makes it fair for you to not be allowed to stand under your own freaking basket? It's like the opposite of the goalie's crease in hockey or handball. I mean, ANY contact in that area is automatically called against the defender.

Then they introduced defensive 3-in-the-key. Again, how does this make sense? Why would you restrict the defender's ability to protect his own basket unless it is to allow slashing players to score easier. Because it's quite clear that due to the presence of the offensive 3-in-the-key, this rule makes no difference to post players.

Then you have this summer, when the NBA decided that too many charges are drawn and instructed the refs to call more of those 50-50 situations in the offensive player's favour. And the rules already fail to take into account the massively increased athleticism and the fact that it disadvantages the defender tremendously. Because you need to have your feet set and not be moving, the offensive player already has a serious advantage, because you as a defender can only respond to what he does. If he decides to drive left, of course he's going to be there before you because he makes that first move. You can't, because you don't know where he's going.

And I'm not so much saying that FTs are a less-than-honourable way of scoring, so much as I'm saying that players have exploited loopholes in the rules, and those loopholes should be closed, not widened as is being done now.
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:49 PM   #57
Chocogrease
Serious playground baller
 
Chocogrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: house
Posts: 395
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
Wade, and the rest of his ilk, do not get their FTs because defenders leave their feet. They get them by running into defenders who are usually on the ground. And in the last 10-15 years, the NBA has done everything in their power to help them do that.

First, there was the introduction of the "restricted area," which is such a load of bullsh*t. How do you figure that if your job as a defender is to prevent the other team from putting the ball in your basket, that it makes it fair for you to not be allowed to stand under your own freaking basket? It's like the opposite of the goalie's crease in hockey or handball. I mean, ANY contact in that area is automatically called against the defender.

Then they introduced defensive 3-in-the-key. Again, how does this make sense? Why would you restrict the defender's ability to protect his own basket unless it is to allow slashing players to score easier. Because it's quite clear that due to the presence of the offensive 3-in-the-key, this rule makes no difference to post players.

Then you have this summer, when the NBA decided that too many charges are drawn and instructed the refs to call more of those 50-50 situations in the offensive player's favour. And the rules already fail to take into account the massively increased athleticism and the fact that it disadvantages the defender tremendously. Because you need to have your feet set and not be moving, the offensive player already has a serious advantage, because you as a defender can only respond to what he does. If he decides to drive left, of course he's going to be there before you because he makes that first move. You can't, because you don't know where he's going.

And I'm not so much saying that FTs are a less-than-honourable way of scoring, so much as I'm saying that players have exploited loopholes in the rules, and those loopholes should be closed, not widened as is being done now.

I've been watching the NBA and its pretty exciting still.
Chocogrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #58
mhg88
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,321
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
Wade, and the rest of his ilk, do not get their FTs because defenders leave their feet. They get them by running into defenders who are usually on the ground.

Your opinion on Wade is no longer valid, since you just proved you don't even watch him play. Wade constantly gets his man in the air with pump fakes, or when he drives and people go for the block. Not by "running into people on the ground".
mhg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #59
SomeBunghole
Banned
 
SomeBunghole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 716
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhg88
Your opinion on Wade is no longer valid, since you just proved you don't even watch him play. Wade constantly gets his man in the air with pump fakes, or when he drives and people go for the block. Not by "running into people on the ground".

Ugh. Do I really have to look for all those "wade phantom foul" videos on Youtube again?
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #60
guy
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,238
Default Re: wade scores 23 points. 15 points of FT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
You missed the point. Players today are taught to look for contact. I'm not talking about passing up easy layups, I'm talking about hesitating in order to get a guy off his feet, and hoping to earn an "and1." Of course, quite often this leads to a hard foul which makes the guy miss the layup in the first place and then have to make 2 FTs.

You said "Like making an easy layup quickly, instead of waiting for the guy to jump on me hoping for an "and 1." That statement implies that players are passing up easy layups to get a foul. And I still don't understand you. If a player is hesitating in order to get a guy off his feet, it's probably cause they don't have a good shot to take as opposed to an easy layup.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy