bill laimbeer
    horace grant
    sprewell
    redd
    earl manigault

6th man -world b free bitch

Default Re: All-Time Starting team + 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    To many of us are picking our favorite players as opposed to a team that's would have great chemistry. I mean, you can pick any players you want, why would you pick guys that are liabilities like bird, magic, russell, and rodman?
    Yeah, Bill Russell - what a huge liability he was on those 11 championship teams.

Whilst Russell is the greatest centre of all time, I can't pick him for my all time team. Sure, he would be great defensively in any era - he would be measured at close to 6"11 in todays NBA and those arms of his....those insanely long arms (I've read that he has a 7"5 wingspan) would make Lebron/Wade/Rose etc think twice before driving to the hoop. If he bulked up a little, I have no doubt he would be alternating DPOY awards with Howard.

However, his offense would be an issue. He was undoubtedly a good offensive player in his own era - only Wilt and Bellamy were better scorers from the centre spot, and he was the best passing big man for most of his career as well. But....he was clunky. That's probably the best word to describe his offense. From what I've seen, he didn't appear to have any go to 'moves' to rely on in the post (maybe he had a baby hook shot. Thats the only thing resembling a 'move' that I've seen). He seemed to just chuck up shots in the general vicinity of the hoop. More often than not, they didn't go in.

So, I'll go with....

C - '77 Karee.......actually no.......'94 Hakee......hmmmmmm. Hang on......ummmmmmm.........shit. Can someone help me out?

PF - '03 Tim Duncan. A no-brainer. The evolutionary Russell. Great leader and teammate, great defender, great passer out of the post. He wouldn't care if he only shot the ball 5 times a game - all he wants to do is win.

SF - '86 Larry Bird. I briefly entertained having Pippen or Hondo here (for their defence) but I need a shooter to spread the floor. And besides, Larry was the greatest rebounding SF of all time, the greatest play making forward of all time and arguably the greatest game 7 player of all time. Those things make up for his suspect man defence

SG - '91 Michael Jordan. He was at his all round best in the '91 playoffs, and the finals especially - he was just about clinging on to his 88/89 athleticism and was passing/playmaking like an elite point guard. Combine that with an insatiable desire/desparation to win his 1st ring and you have something truly scary (go watch game 2 of the '91 finals again. Right now. Go! When he was playing like that, he was unbeatable). He would still be the go to scorer and crunch time assassin, but he wouldn't be playing with Grant, Cartwright and Paxson on this team. We need balance (which is why I shied away from '93 MJ).

PG - '87 Magic Johnson. Another no-brainer. The NBAs greatest ever play maker at the peak of his powers.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure that having 2 defensive liabilities in 1 team is a good idea. You can get away with one.....but two? Hmmmmmmmmm. Sorry Magic, you're gunna have to make way for '69 West. That eliminates any speedy or athletic point guards getting a free pass into the lane and gives me an extra shooter. And besides, the ball should be in MJs hands most of the time anyway.

6th man - '09 Lebron. The most gifted all round player the league has ever seen (along with Wilt). He's probably the perfect utliity player - he can play and excel in 4 positions. He also wouldn't be playing crunch time so there would be very little pressure on him. He could focus on doing what he does best - facilitating and just being an all round monster.

Coach - Phil Jackson. The only choice! Don't ask me which version of him would be the best because I have no clue I guess coaching is all about experience so I'll go with an older Phil - how about '09?
    Last edited by oolalaa; 02-21-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Kareem
    Duncan
    Bird
    Jordan
    Magic

KG for defensive versatility

Although I would seriously question Jordan's ability to work in an offense where he wasn't ball dominant 50% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    Who ya got?

Here's mine.

Center - Wilt Chamberlain
    Forward - Larry Bird
    Forward - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Guard - Michael Jordan
    Guard - Jerry West

6th Man Magic Johnson

People always look at me like I'm crazy when I got Kareem at the forward but I always thought from the first NBA game I saw Lew Alcindor play that he was a forward playing out of position - they put him at C because he was so tall.
    But I don't mind having twin towers & I don't mind having Kareem's 18 foot jumper which is commonly forgot but which was real money. I also don't mind the fact that my forward can not only defend but dominate all centers with great ease. I also don't mind Chamberlain being able to destroy all in the paint and dish to a guy who can crash from high post.

I've struggled with West vs. Magic for years. But the answer comes in the fact that Magic can play 4 positions with great ease - so effectively he plays full minutes. And I get to keep the two greatest outside threats in basketball history. Logo & Airness together destroy all perimeters in the galaxy.

Now the guy who is entering into the argument to me is LeBron James.

But what are you gonna do with him?
    * Replace Logo? That destroys my team concept and LBJ can never shoot like Logo (nor can he shoot like Bird for that matter, nor Kareem. And he ain't getting Jordan's spot.)
    {I would be more likely to reach for Kobe Bryant to replace West but it will depend entirely on KB mental attitude on that day. He "goes to sleep" too much and shot-jacks too much to get that starting job.}

* Replace Larry Bird? I can't replace Bird's all-round greatness with LBJ's all-round greatness - due to Bird's willingness to go to the mats.

He might be able to argue with Magic though as the greatest swingman ever.

But that is only my ideas for an All-Time team - of course biased by my timeframe of watching Chamberlain & Frazier Willis Reed and Jerry Lucas... but also I believe it is accurate to say that will be the most perfect starting team ever.....

How would you set it up? Who's on your All-time Team?
    That's a good team (mine would best yours though ) but what versions of your picks would you choose? e.g '62 or '67 Wilt? '65 or '69 West? etc

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Wilt
    Duncan
    Bird
    Kobe
    Jordan

Sixth- Barkley

russell
    duncan
    bird
    kobe
    isiah

6th man pistol

Quote Originally Posted by oolalaa
    Whilst Russell is the greatest centre of all time, I can't pick him for my all time team. Sure, he would be great defensively in any era - he would be measured at close to 6"11 in todays NBA and those arms of his....those insanely long arms (I've read that he had a 7"5 wingspan) would make Lebron/Wade/Rose etc think twice before driving to the hoop. If he bulked up a little, I have no doubt he would be alternating DPOY awards with Howard.

However, his offense would be an issue. He was undoubtedly a good offensive player in his own era - only Wilt and Bellamy were better scorers from the centre spot, and he was the best passing big man for most of his career as well. But....he was clunky. That's probably the best word to describe his offense. From what I've seen, he didn't appear to have any go to 'moves' to rely on in the post (maybe he had a baby hook shot. Thats the only thing resembling a 'move' that I've seen). He seemed to just chuck up shots in the general vicinity of the hoop. More often than not, they didn't go in.

So, I'll go with....

C - '77 Karee.......actually no.......'94 Hakee......hmmmmmm. Hang on......ummmmmmm.........shit. Can someone help me out?

PF - '03 Tim Duncan. A no-brainer. The evolutionary Russell. Great leader and teammate, great defender, great passer out of the post. He wouldn't care if he only shot the ball 5 times a game - all he wants to do is win.

SF - '86 Larry Bird. I briefly entertained having Pippen or Hondo here (for their defence) but I need a shooter to spread the floor. And besides, Larry was the greatest rebounding SF of all time, the greatest play making forward of all time and arguably the greatest game 7 player of all time. Those things make up for his suspect man defence

SG - '91 Michael Jordan. He was at his all round best in the '91 playoffs, and the finals especially - he was just about clinging on to his 88/89 athleticism and was passing/playmaking like an elite point guard. Combine that with an insatiable desire/desparation to win his 1st ring and you have something truly scary (go watch game 2 of the '91 finals again. Right now. Go! When he was playing like that, he was unbeatable). He would still be the go to scorer and crunch time assassin, but he wouldn't be playing with Grant, Cartwright and Paxson on this team. We need balance (which is why I shied away from '93 MJ).

PG - '87 Magic Johnson. Another no-brainer. The NBAs greatest ever play maker at the peak of his powers.

6th man - '09 Lebron. The most gifted all round player the league has ever seen (along with Wilt). He's probably the perfect utliity player - he can play and excel in 4 positions. He also wouldn't be playing crunch time so there would be very little pressure on him. He could focus on doing what he does best - facilitating and just being an all round monster.

Coach - Phil Jackson. The only choice! Don't ask me which version of him would be the best because I have no clue I guess coaching is all about experience so I'll go with an older Phil - how about '09?
    I flirted with the idea of including a players specific year. But as someeone stated, players don't change that much year to year. The situations and circumstances do.

I've met bill russell about 15 years ago. He's nowhere near 6'11. I know people kinda shrink as they get old, but russell looked to be about 6'8.

Winning>Stats

Magic
    Jordan
    Bird
    Duncan
    Hakeem

6th man Pippen, swiss army knife.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Yeah, Bill Russell - what a huge liability he was on those 11 championship teams.
    My point was that were picking the best possible starting 5 and one 6th man. The talent level would be so high that I just could see myself picking guys that are clearly weak or deficient at something as important as offense and defense. Then I gotta factor in that chemisrty is a must and egos must be checked at the door. Everyone knows jordan would be the go to guy. Pippen would be my ball handler and main perimeter defender. James athleticism and ability to fill any void would be huge, while duncan, and olajuwan and garnett are great midrange shooters and can controll the paint definsively.

I feel I could expose magic and birds bad man defense or russell inept offense.

Troll who tries to provoke you

Lightbulb Re: All-Time Starting team + 6th Man

Magic - PG
    Jordan - SG
    Hakeem - C
    Barkley - PF
    Bird - SF

Quote Originally Posted by gengiskhan
    Magic - PG
    Jordan - SG
    Hakeem - C
    Barkley - PF
    Bird - SF
    Magic bird and barkley would be definsive liabilities.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL arifgokcen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    lebron doesnt understand the concept of sharing when he plays with other superstars

hes almost averaging 30 on a team with wade and bosh... and a bunch of great complimentary players

i just think birds a better team player and better suited for the sf position on a stacked roster
    Wow really.He is averaging %55 for a wing player even Jordan didnt come close to that.BTW he is only averaging 18 shots per game.So actually you are blaming him for averaging that kind of numbers on just 18 shots per game.Wow i understand you hate the guy but come on.What do you want him to average.Actually i want him to take at least 24-25 shots because of his efficiency.This is how you win the ball game.Learn the game please

Bird in his second year averaged 18.3 shots same number of shots lebron averaging right now and only averaged 21.2ppg for the season.Come on son.
    You are sinking like titanic right now.

He is actually much better defender than bird.Dont forget bird and jordan personalities would not mesh.However Lebron and Jordan would.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL arifgokcen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    My point was that were picking the best possible starting 5 and one 6th man. The talent level would be so high that I just could see myself picking guys that are clearly weak or deficient at something as important as offense and defense. Then I gotta factor in that chemisrty is a must and egos must be checked at the door. Everyone knows jordan would be the go to guy. Pippen would be my ball handler and main perimeter defender. James athleticism and ability to fill any void would be huge, while duncan, and olajuwan and garnett are great midrange shooters and can controll the paint definsively.

I feel I could expose magic and birds bad man defense or russell inept offense.
    exactly defense and chemistry is much more important.You are gonna have offense no matter what.This is why neither magic nor birds deserves a spot in this team.Dont get me wrong they were good defenders but far from great.Lebron Jordan and even Pippen would blow by them every time.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by arifgokcen
    Mine
    C-Hakeem
    PF-Garnett
    SF-Lebron
    SG-Jordan
    PG-Payton

Lockdown nobody moves
    This, except i would have Pippen at SF and have LeBron as 6th man.