Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-21-2018, 05:06 AM   #106
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s

Default Re: Trump: "I'm A Moral Leader."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Thanks for proving me wrong and actually addressing this. How is it possible that you can be that uninformed of what Trump University was and how it operated? It was widely discussed and written about.

This is the problem with your desire for the media to focus less on Trump: you guys somehow miss things that are widely discussed. What would happen if the media declined to cover these things at all? It's almost as if you guys don't want to know and are hoping you can avoid some of these uncomfortable issues. Plausible deniability for the win I guess.

The President of the United States put his name on and marketed a program that swindled people out of their hard earned money, even forcing some to go into debt. He relied on his business success as a marketing talking point to convince them that he could help them get into the world of real estate and be successful. He said that his handpicked instructors would teach them his secrets and strategies, and would support them as they started to invest in real estate. When the program did not work and people didn't receive the instruction, training, and support they were promised, they asked for their money back and Trump and Co. refused. The program was eventually deemed fraudulent, ended up being shut down, and Trump and his organization were sued and forced to reimburse people in a settlement. Just to underscore this... the program stole their savings and sought to place debt on their credit cards or manipulate them into taking personal loans from banks. It was blatantly predatory and had all the hallmarks of a multi-level marketing scheme without the multi-levels.

I think we can talk about this and other things at the same time as a nation. It would be especially beneficial for you given the fact that you were uninformed as to how the program operated.

Eh, I forgot the little detail that it didn't receive federal aid. This doesn't mean I'm that uninformed about it. I didn't miss the story; it was a couple of years ago and I forgot that detail. Note: it's actually a good thing it didn't forcefully take money from the taxpayers. ;)

My takeaways from the story were the main points
-Trump University was very expensive
-People chose to go to that school of their own free will
-The school mislead students with what they would be taught, it was sued, and settled in court
-Like most of these types of schools, few people came out of that program successful because of the demographic of students... think about it. who goes to that program? 'A' students on their way to becoming a physician?

Look at that ad. There are tons of ads just like it in the newspaper right now. It looks like a "get rich quick" scheme.

If you wanna talk about how morally it is indefensible that Trump signed onto that business plan, then I agree. It is morally indefensible. He should have never done that (and he paid for it morally and lost millions in lawsuits).

...You gotta admit that your friend is at least partially to blame for falling that, no?
Cleverness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #107
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
I think he should have tweeted those out first.

If he believes that mismanagement has lead to deaths and destruction multiple times, it's understandable that he would react the way he did. Believe it or not, there's a high demand for politicians who want to hold gov't accountable for mismanagement.

So though you think the first thing Trump should have done was release a message of compassion and support for California and Californians, you believe it was "understandable" for him to release this instead...

..even though the points he makes in the tweet were demonstrably incorrect. You think it's "understandable" for the President of the United States to launch a political attack on a state while people are suffering and while getting the facts that his attack is based on wrong. Lol, listen to yourself.

Quote:
When I see a tweet like Trump's first tweet, my response is, "damn. why you gotta be so politically incorrect, trump... so what forest mismanagement is he talking about? are they really mismanaged? what has caused the massive damage? how can it be fixed or improved?"

So it's only "politically incorrect" to attack a state while many of its citizens are dying, running for their lives, and displaced. Not heartless, cruel, or churlish... merely "politically incorrect." Ok... I think we all see where you stand.

Are you aware that much of his tweet was incorrect? California manages about 3 or 4% of the forest land and the fires did not start on land managed by California. Why did he attack California if he was really trying to fix the situation? And is threatening to cut funding the proper policy prescription for the situation when, in reality, more funding is needed? Is the tweet really "understandable" if the content of the tweet is wrong?

Quote:
Trump University? Sounds like you're trying to take the conversation on a tangent. Anything and everything to not talk about how democrats have mismanaged the forests. - Just kidding ;)

I'm sticking to the topic of the thread: "I'm a great moral leader." His dealings with the fraudulent Trump University business further underscores the insanity of his "moral leader" claims.

Quote:
Nah man, I don't wiggle my way out of comments. I don't avoid stuff like that because I'm not afraid to apologize when I'm in the wrong or admit when Trump does something bad. If he set up a super expensive training program and only a few people came out of the school successful because the training program sucked... I get it. It's not moral of him to set up a program like that. And I don't think it's a bad thing that I bring up the bigger issue at large.

The problem is that there was no "bigger issue at large." Because you were ignorant of how Trump University operated, you had already created a narrative in your head that the Trump University scandal was really the fault of the federal government. Now that you have been corrected and now that you know it was Trump and his people alone defrauding people of their hard earned savings and even manipulating people into going into debt, I wonder if you will pour out the same invective you were ready to spew on the government on Trump now. Doubtful...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:06 PM   #108
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverness
Eh, I forgot the little detail that it didn't receive federal aid. This doesn't mean I'm that uninformed about it. I didn't miss the story; it was a couple of years ago and I forgot that detail. Note: it's actually a good thing it didn't forcefully take money from the taxpayers. ;)

Lol, you didn't forget a "little detail." Can we do away with the foolishness and be real for a bit? You were uninformed as to how the business operated and specifically from where it got its money... even though the topic was widely covered for quite some time... especially during the lawsuit. The President swindling money from middle-class people, and not the taxpayer, is not something you forget.

Quote:
Look at that ad. There are tons of ads just like it in the newspaper right now. It looks like a "get rich quick" scheme.

Have you seen any of his marketing videos for the business? If not, you should check them out. He sold Trump U with the same sorts of platitudes he used on the campaign trail. "He's a great businessman and he's closed a lot of deals... he's a best selling author... he's a billionaire." Sound familiar? Have you ever heard someone interviewed about their support for Trump say those things, almost word for word? Yeah, his campaign resued his Trump University pitch. It got a lot of people to vote for him and faithfully and vocally support and defend him... why do you think some people wouldn't be fooled into thinking he could help them get into real estate? Some people are gullible, but there's no excuse for taking such egregious advantage of them.

Quote:
If you wanna talk about how morally it is indefensible that Trump signed onto that business plan, then I agree. It is morally indefensible. He should have never done that (and he paid for it morally and lost millions in lawsuits).

...You gotta admit that your friend is at least partially to blame for falling that, no?

He certainly should have been wiser, but I imagine he wanted to so desperately believe that someone like Trump could help him that he threw caution to the wind. Pretty vile and despicable thing for Trump to do none-the-less. For someone already so rich to take even more from middle-class people simply looking to make their lives and those of their families better... terrible. These weren't people who were taking taxpayer money or living off of social services, but Trump took advantage of them anyway. Look at that picture you posted again. Can you believe the President of the United States was involved in that kind of scam only a few years ago, and still defends it to this day? He still asserts that he did nothing wrong.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:26 AM   #109
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s

Uninformed about how the business operated? Eh, I guess so. I still remembered the major points (besides unaccredited) of the story. The moral of the story (no pun intended) is that it's immoral to operate a business like that; more evidence that he's not a moral leader. I get it. I already said he's not a moral leader earlier in the thread. You don't need to convince me of that brah.

Side note: Let's not overlook the fact that people get ripped off all the time. At some point you've gotta do some research before you give thousands to a celebrity to go to an unaccredited school (red flag) with get rich quick scheme advertisements (yuge red flag) to become the next millionaire real estate investor. It sounds like your friend acknowledged that, learned from his mistake, took responsibility for his stupidity, became a stronger/wiser person, and moved on - much better than whining about Trump for the rest of his life. Millions of people buy new cars and/or timeshares at rip-off APR/value. What should be done about about people buying new cars they can't afford at 27% APR? Or people spending tens of thousands on a timeshare with annual fees that negate the benefit of it?

I provided some context to you talking about the wildfires because of the unfair coverage it's getting. And the tweet itself raises big questions about forest management that continually get ignored by The Left.

I actually know several people affected by California wildfires. They don't care about thoughts and prayers from Trump and the Queen; the Left does. They don't look to politicians or the Queen for consoling; they care about improving forest management and inflated energy bills rising even more because of PG&E's collusion with the state.

Last edited by Cleverness : 11-22-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:39 AM   #110
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s

Quote:
Can you believe the President of the United States was involved in that kind of scam only a few years ago, and still defends it to this day? He still asserts that he did nothing wrong.

Yes, I can believe it. Especially when Hillary Clinton was his opponent. Let's not pretend she's a moral leader. lol

But back to Trump. I've said it before in other threads that I absolutely hate that he has no humility and doesn't admit his mistakes. I found him to be a pompous bully during the primaries.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #111
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Uninformed about how the business operated? Eh, I guess so. I still remembered the major points (besides unaccredited) of the story. The moral of the story (no pun intended) is that it's immoral to operate a business like that; more evidence that he's not a moral leader. I get it. I already said he's not a moral leader earlier in the thread. You don't need to convince me of that brah.

Side note: Let's not overlook the fact that people get ripped off all the time. At some point you've gotta do some research before you give thousands to a celebrity to go to an unaccredited school (red flag) with get rich quick scheme advertisements (yuge red flag) to become the next millionaire real estate investor. It sounds like your friend acknowledged that, learned from his mistake, took responsibility for his stupidity, became a stronger/wiser person, and moved on - much better than whining about Trump for the rest of his life. Millions of people buy new cars and/or timeshares at rip-off APR/value. What should be done about about people buying new cars they can't afford at 27% APR? Or people spending tens of thousands on a timeshare with annual fees that negate the benefit of it?

There are people (a lot of them) who should, but don't know better. They very well may be wary of other schemes, but they'd trust someone like Trump because he is rich, seems successful, is well known, and was on television. They would never expect someone like him to steal their money. We can't protect all of these people from themselves and their poor decisions, but we should vigorously pursue those who take advantage of them, and many of these schemes should be hit with additional fines and penalties to underscore how serious we take it. It would require more stringent oversight and regulatory/prosecutorial powers for the government and states in dealing with these sorts of schemes... something I know you don't like.

Quote:
I provided some context to you talking about the wildfires because of the unfair coverage it's getting. And the tweet itself raises big questions about forest management that continually get ignored by The Left.

The fires that the President tweeted about did not originate on land managed by California, yet he intimated that the fires were California's fault... quickly following the blame with a threat. If we're going to provide context, let's ackowledged that the President didn't really know what he was talking about. Lol, are we honestly trying to say that he sought to start a national conversation about this with wrong information? It's not just that his tweet was callous... it was wrong and sought to foist blame while ignoring the real reasons for fires he was tweeting about.

Quote:
I actually know several people affected by California wildfires. They don't care about thoughts and prayers from Trump and the Queen; the Left does. They don't look to politicians or the Queen for consoling; they care about improving forest management and inflated energy bills rising even more because of PG&E's collusion with the state.

Which is amazing... because when a school, movie theater, synagogue or bar gets shot up, the President is quick to offer his thoughts and prayers. When a fire in a liberal state takes hundreds of lives and destroys billions in property, he blames that state. The people who live in California would have preferred a trite statement regarding "thoughts and prayers" than to be callously and incorrectly blamed. Are we still pretending that this wasn't a politically motivated attack on California?
Old 11-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #112
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Yes, I can believe it. Especially when Hillary Clinton was his opponent. Let's not pretend she's a moral leader. lol

But back to Trump. I've said it before in other threads that I absolutely hate that he has no humility and doesn't admit his mistakes. I found him to be a pompous bully during the primaries.

Kasich, Bush, Rubio, Fiorina, Christie, Rand Paul... he was chosen over those candidates as well. So since we can't really use Hillary as the excuse, what fallback excuse?

For all of Hillary's shortcomings, as well as those of the candidates I listed above, I'm willing to bet she and they would have handled this better, whether it were California or a red state.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #113
SomeBlackDude
Great college starter

Quote:
New York judge rejects bid to throw out lawsuit against Trump Foundation

A New York judge on Friday rejected a bid by President Trump’s lawyers to throw out a lawsuit filed by the state's attorney general against the Trump Foundation.

The suit claims that Trump used the foundation’s charitable assets to pay off his legal obligations, promote Trump hotels and businesses, and make personal purchases. The suit also claims that the foundation “illegally provided extensive support to his 2016 presidential campaign by using the Trump Foundation’s name and funds it raised from the public to promote his campaign for presidency.”

The lawsuit is seeking $2.8 million, the dissolution of the foundation and a 10-year-ban on Trump running any charities.

"As we detailed in our petition earlier this year, the Trump Foundation functioned as little more than a checkbook to serve Mr. Trump's business and political interests," Underwood said in a statement Friday. "There are rules that govern private foundations -- and we intend to enforce them, no matter who runs the foundation."

-real news fox

moral.
SomeBlackDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #114
bladefd
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBlackDude
moral.

Trump universities, charities and housing for poor all fraudulent
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #115
Lakers Legend#32
College superstar

Eric Trump says he hates disloyal people.
Yet his father cheated on everyone of his three wives including Eric's mother.
Moral.
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:29 PM   #116
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s

Quote:
There are people (a lot of them) who should, but don't know better. They very well may be wary of other schemes, but they'd trust someone like Trump because he is rich, seems successful, is well known, and was on television. They would never expect someone like him to steal their money. We can't protect all of these people from themselves and their poor decisions, but we should vigorously pursue those who take advantage of them, and many of these schemes should be hit with additional fines and penalties to underscore how serious we take it. It would require more stringent oversight and regulatory/prosecutorial powers for the government and states in dealing with these sorts of schemes... something I know you don't like.

I've always said we need some oversight. But how are you going to regulate 27% APR for a car, $100,000 for a cooking degree, $10,000 for an overpriced timeshare?

Btw we still have diet and ED supplements at every drug store and infomercial get rich quick schemes that don't work.

Quote:
The fires that the President tweeted about did not originate on land managed by California, yet he intimated that the fires were California's fault... quickly following the blame with a threat. If we're going to provide context, let's ackowledged that the President didn't really know what he was talking about. Lol, are we honestly trying to say that he sought to start a national conversation about this with wrong information? It's not just that his tweet was callous... it was wrong and sought to foist blame while ignoring the real reasons for fires he was tweeting about.

Which is amazing... because when a school, movie theater, synagogue or bar gets shot up, the President is quick to offer his thoughts and prayers. When a fire in a liberal state takes hundreds of lives and destroys billions in property, he blames that state. The people who live in California would have preferred a trite statement regarding "thoughts and prayers" than to be callously and incorrectly blamed. Are we still pretending that this wasn't a politically motivated attack on California?

I've agreed with a lot of what you've said. I agreed earlier with you that it was, at least in part, a politically motivated attack on CA. I think it's obvious it was bad tweet. As I said earlier, who is calling him a moral leader?

The mainstream media already focuses on attacking Trump and his gaffes 24/7. Every week there's a new attack on him. Why not acknowledge that at least part of his tweet had some truth to it? Why not discuss actual forest management that can be improved?

If the federal gov't is to blame, then why not look into the massive 2012 Obama Environmental regulations?

As I posted earlier, the timber industry employment gradually collapsed, falling in 2017 to half of what it was 20 years earlier, with imports from Canada, China, and other nations filling domestic need. 2000 trees in an acre when there should be 60 to 80.

"Let's ignore that and focus on how trump was wrong about these specific fires having anything to do with CA's management"

Are we sure about that?

There has been a lot of collusion between PG&E and the state. Are we sure that hasn't had anything to do with it?

And are we sure that the 2016 bi-partisan bill (75-0 in the Assembly and 39-0 in the Senate) that Jerry Brown vetoed had nothing to do with the fires? The bill would have required the state to identify the places most at risk for wildfires and would have required the CPUC to beef up plans to prevent fires sparked by power lines. And didn't the fires start by... electrical companies in California (PG&E and SCE)?

And I guess we'll continue to ignore what I said earlier about California's mismanaged funds.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #117
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
I've always said we need some oversight. But how are you going to regulate 27% APR for a car, $100,000 for a cooking degree, $10,000 for an overpriced timeshare?

Btw we still have diet and ED supplements at every drug store and infomercial get rich quick schemes that don't work.

Would not regulating those things preclude you from regulating and going after scams like Trump University? Why approach this as an all or nothing proposition.

Incidentally, are you really asking if there is a way to regulate a 27% APR on a car? I'm asking because I'm sure you know the answer, and I'm hoping we're not veering off into uninformed or "I forgot a small detail" territory again.

Quote:
I've agreed with a lot of what you've said. I agreed earlier with you that it was, at least in part, a politically motivated attack on CA. I think it's obvious it was bad tweet. As I said earlier, who is calling him a moral leader?

Donald Trump is calling himself a moral leader. Ronna McDaniel, Chair of the RNC said:

Quote:
The actions of this President show that he is a moral leader because he is working for the American people and pushing back on monsters like Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

There are quite a number of people who like his current stances on abortion and gay rights and consider him a moral leader as a result.

Quote:
The mainstream media already focuses on attacking Trump and his gaffes 24/7. Every week there's a new attack on him. Why not acknowledge that at least part of his tweet had some truth to it? Why not discuss actual forest management that can be improved?

He levied a political attack on a state while people died and most of his tweet was factually incorrect and unfair. Many in the media have dug into the factual basis of his tweet and found it to be severely lacking. Of course that is going to be the focus. Lol, you're basically saying, "His tweet was callous and factually incorrect, but let's ignore those things even though they are germane to the discussion." Have you noticed that he hasn't apologized for the tone of the tweet or for the fact that the things he said in the tweet were incorrect?

Quote:
As I posted earlier, the timber industry employment gradually collapsed, falling in 2017 to half of what it was 20 years earlier, with imports from Canada, China, and other nations filling domestic need. 2000 trees in an acre when there should be 60 to 80.

"Let's ignore that and focus on how trump was wrong about these specific fires having anything to do with CA's management"

Are we sure about that?

There has been a lot of collusion between PG&E and the state. Are we sure that hasn't had anything to do with it?

And are we sure that the 2016 bi-partisan bill (75-0 in the Assembly and 39-0 in the Senate) that Jerry Brown vetoed had nothing to do with the fires? The bill would have required the state to identify the places most at risk for wildfires and would have required the CPUC to beef up plans to prevent fires sparked by power lines. And didn't the fires start by... electrical companies in California (PG&E and SCE)?

The forest land adjacent to Paradise, CA, was logged less than a decade ago. This fall, it caught fire and took all of Paradise with it. Logging companies cut down the trees, but they didn't clear the land of brush, twigs, etc... because they never do that. They're only interested in the timber. Land that has been logged and that has not been cleared catches fire and spreads just as easily as land that has not been logged. Are you saying that you're in support of legislation to force companies that log forest land to clear them as well and be held responsible if that land catches fire? It would significantly cut into their profits.

Quote:
And I guess we'll continue to ignore what I said earlier about California's mismanaged funds.

How has California mismanaged funds for clearing forests, clearing brush and fighting fires? Has that money taken a detour to support other non-related endeavors? Have they wasted that earmarked money by overspending?
Old 11-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #118
Cleverness
GSW Fan Since the 90s

Quote:
Would not regulating those things preclude you from regulating and going after scams like Trump University? Why approach this as an all or nothing proposition.

Incidentally, are you really asking if there is a way to regulate a 27% APR on a car? I'm asking because I'm sure you know the answer, and I'm hoping we're not veering off into uninformed or "I forgot a small detail" territory again.

My point is that it's already regulated and it's tough to get rid of it (ex: $100,000 for a cooking degree), especially when you consider the unseen consequences and who is actually writing the laws. How do we still have obvious scams on the market like OTC diet and ED pills? My point with 27% APR is that people are buying things they don't need (new car), with money they don't have, at an interest rate they cannot afford... Auto salesmen regularly sell people cars at high APR and it's tough to regulate since everyone's situation is different.

Quote:
There are quite a number of people who like his current stances on abortion and gay rights and consider him a moral leader as a result.

Oh. I was referring to this forum, but I see what you're saying now: some people consider him a moral leader on abortion and gay rights. If that's the case then the argument should be made for why he's not a moral leader for abortion and gay rights, no?

Quote:
He levied a political attack on a state while people died and most of his tweet was factually incorrect and unfair. Many in the media have dug into the factual basis of his tweet and found it to be severely lacking. Of course that is going to be the focus. Lol, you're basically saying, "His tweet was callous and factually incorrect, but let's ignore those things even though they are germane to the discussion." Have you noticed that he hasn't apologized for the tone of the tweet or for the fact that the things he said in the tweet were incorrect?

No, I didn't ignore; I've already agreed with you on the points you made about tweet. I'm saying bashing him will not improve our lives. The big discussion that can result in improvements is about forest management.

I have noticed he hasn't apologized; he rarely does. The last time I can remember him apologizing was after the Billy Bust tape, but then he quickly turned the attention to "Bill and Hillary did worse things." I've said it before and and I'll say it again: it's a part of his character that I don't like about him.

Quote:
The forest land adjacent to Paradise, CA, was logged less than a decade ago. This fall, it caught fire and took all of Paradise with it. Logging companies cut down the trees, but they didn't clear the land of brush, twigs, etc... because they never do that. They're only interested in the timber. Land that has been logged and that has not been cleared catches fire and spreads just as easily as land that has not been logged. Are you saying that you're in support of legislation to force companies that log forest land to clear them as well and be held responsible if that land catches fire? It would significantly cut into their profits.

How has California mismanaged funds for clearing forests, clearing brush and fighting fires? Has that money taken a detour to support other non-related endeavors? Have they wasted that earmarked money by overspending?

California’s Paradise Lost
Trump is a bully, but he’s right about bad forest management.

"California also restricts timber harvesting and requires myriad permits and environmental-impact statements to prune overgrown forests. As the state Legislative Analyst’s Office (LAO) dryly noted in April, “project proponents seeking to conduct activities to improve the health of California’s forests indicate that in some cases, state regulatory requirements can be excessively duplicative, lengthy, and costly.”

One problem for landowners is disposing of deadwood. Dozens of biomass facilities that burn tree parts that can’t be used for lumber have closed due to emissions regulations and competition from subsidized renewables and cheap natural gas.

To burn leaves and tree limbs, landowners must obtain air-quality permits from “local air districts, burn permits from local fire agencies, and potentially other permits depending on the location, size, and type of burn,” the LAO explained. “Permits restrict the size of burn piles and vegetation that can be burned, the hours available for burns, and the allowable moisture levels in the material.”

The LAO recommended that California prune its regulations, facilitate timber sales and ease permitting for burning biomass. Environmentalists oppose this, but one irony is that destruction from fires imperils species far more than does regulated tree-clearing.

Thinning forests could also save Californians billions of gallons of water each year, according to an April study by the National Science Foundation. The good news is that the Trump Administration is expanding timber sales on federal land and this year’s harvest will be the biggest in two decades.

Restoring California’s forests to health could take years, but the lesson of these fires is that the feds and state should drop their political blinders and do it."

Yes, the federal gov't is partly to blame, but can we stop pretending that CA can't improve it's forest management too?

And you didn't even acknowledge PG&E's collusion with the state, electric companies starting the fires, 76-0 bi-partisan bill vetoed, the billions diverted from things we need (eg forest management) to the crony express, etc... these are things that CA can fix.

The Politician Behind California High Speed Rail Now Says It's 'Almost a Crime'
Old 11-26-2018, 05:43 AM   #119
Lakers Legend#32
College superstar

Only a true coward would tear gas children.
Moral.
Lakers Legend#32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #120
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
My point is that it's already regulated and it's tough to get rid of it (ex: $100,000 for a cooking degree), especially when you consider the unseen consequences and who is actually writing the laws. How do we still have obvious scams on the market like OTC diet and ED pills? My point with 27% APR is that people are buying things they don't need (new car), with money they don't have, at an interest rate they cannot afford... Auto salesmen regularly sell people cars at high APR and it's tough to regulate since everyone's situation is different.

There are ways to regulate excessively high interest rates, which in effect, limit the sale of vehicles and the issuing of loans to people who are high risk to default. Much of this can be addressed by focusing on companies that employ and policies that allow for predatory business practices, whether it's companies trying to scam the elderly out of their social security money or Trump Universities scamming middle class Americans out of their savings. You're not going to stop everyone from making bad decisions as to which companies they trust, but you can surely work to prevent as many companies as possible from taking advantage of that trust and sanction them severely when when they are found to do so.

Quote:
Oh. I was referring to this forum, but I see what you're saying now: some people consider him a moral leader on abortion and gay rights. If that's the case then the argument should be made for why he's not a moral leader for abortion and gay rights, no?

The argument is being made for why he isn't a moral leader, period. Whether you take abortion and gay rights into account or not, he is not the "great moral leader" he has claimed to be. I'm sure you agree since you have already gone on record in agreeing that he is not a moral leader.

Quote:
No, I didn't ignore; I've already agreed with you on the points you made about tweet. I'm saying bashing him will not improve our lives. The big discussion that can result in improvements is about forest management.

He is the President of the United States. Why let him off the hook for callous and factually incorrect statements? Shouldn't we demand that he adhere to some basic standard of decency and honestly in these sorts of matters? He will be apart of the solution for dealing with the fires and forest management, but if he continues to make false and offensive statements, and doesn't correct past statements, he becomes more of an impediment than an asset in reaching a solution. This sort of churlish behavior only makes him harder to work with, especially if he doesn't understand what the problems are as evinced in his tweet.

Quote:
One problem for landowners is disposing of deadwood. Dozens of biomass facilities that burn tree parts that can’t be used for lumber have closed due to emissions regulations and competition from subsidized renewables and cheap natural gas.

To burn leaves and tree limbs, landowners must obtain air-quality permits from “local air districts, burn permits from local fire agencies, and potentially other permits depending on the location, size, and type of burn,” the LAO explained. “Permits restrict the size of burn piles and vegetation that can be burned, the hours available for burns, and the allowable moisture levels in the material.”

The LAO recommended that California prune its regulations, facilitate timber sales and ease permitting for burning biomass. Environmentalists oppose this, but one irony is that destruction from fires imperils species far more than does regulated tree-clearing.

The President's administration released a report on Friday detailing the threats that climate change will pose to the US and our economy. Ever increasing CO2 levels are the primary cause of climate change around the world. Landowners have other safe ways of disposing of deadwood, leaves and brush that does not require that they burn even more biomass and add to the CO2 already being released into the atmosphere. The problem is that it is more expensive and would eat into their profits, so they don't do it.

Quote:
Yes, the federal gov't is partly to blame, but can we stop pretending that CA can't improve it's forest management too?

The President only blamed California and threatened to cut funding. Why did he only blame California?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: