Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 10-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here
Default Hollins Impressive So Far.

Charlotte Observer
Quote:
Quiet, methodical, almost bookish -- that's how rookie Ryan Hollins comes off when he's learning NBA basketball.

Wild, demonstrative, over-the-top -- that's how Hollins comes off playing NBA basketball.

Different as those two personalities seem, they both exist within this seven-foot exclamation point. Hollins has a lot to learn, and potentially a lot to offer, in his first season with the Charlotte Bobcats.

Thursday's practice, in preparation for tonight's home exhibition against the Milwaukee Bucks, told a tale. In 15 minutes, he blocked a half-dozen shots, changed perhaps a dozen more, and every basket he scored seemed an effort to shake the backboard from its supports.

That's the wild, emphatic enforcer, and coach-general manager Bernie Bickerstaff doesn't want him losing that enthusiasm.

"You just don't find 7-footers with that kind of athleticism and track experience," Bickerstaff said of Hollins, the 50th pick in June. "He's slight (230 pounds), but he's not going to (give) in. He doesn't have any fear in the lane."

Maybe not fear, but he does have reservations. At UCLA, he could smother just about anyone invading the lane. He knows the NBA is different, and he doesn't want to get posterized.

"In college, I was the highest-jumping player out there," Hollins said. "Here, I might have LeBron James there going by me. That's a good way to end up on `SportsCenter.' You can't be late" adjusting to a player of that skill.

Hollins has asked Melvin Ely to play mentor, and hangs on any feedback the veterans offer.

"That young fella is just raw talent at its finest," Ely said of Hollins' springy game. "But what's great is he's willing to listen. He keeps his eyes open, his ears open and his mouth shut.

"He's really at a sweet stage right now. You can't really yell at him because he has to play through his mistakes, so he's playing loose and playing free."
The more I read about this kid the more I think he's going to be one of the big sleepers that came from this draft.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:32 AM   #2
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

funkylikemonkey has an OK reputation so far

I remember the Nets were scouting him before the draft, seems to be a pretty athletic kid.
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

What a steal this guy was in the draft. He reminds me alot of Tyson Chandler with a meaner streak on offense. Everytime Hollins had the ball inside for UCLA, it seemed like he was going to tear down the rim.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
UCLAlegend32
Local High School Star

UCLAlegend32 is considered somewhat coolUCLAlegend32 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab0yech0
What a steal this guy was in the draft. He reminds me alot of Tyson Chandler with a meaner streak on offense. Everytime Hollins had the ball inside for UCLA, it seemed like he was going to tear down the rim.

yea i remember he dunked the ball once and the shotclock went out they had to go the rest of the period without it, hollins dunked the ball with that much force.
UCLAlegend32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

I'm loving this kid. Loving him. Hopefully during the actual season he starts eating into Primoz' PT so we can get up and down the court.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

Will he crack the rotation this season?
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Probably will if we have the same injury issues as we did last year.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: