Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #16
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Bynum Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Yeah, Hartman's a doctor....

Pretty much any structural injury you have on your body will last a lifetime in some form or another. I broke my hand a long time ago as a kid, and I still get pains from it. So what?

Really? I've broken my shoulder, finger, and wrist all in my left arm and haven't felt any pain since the time it healed. What do you mean by structural?
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:49 PM   #17
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

as far as hartman talking he was going off of what mychel thompson said, he had the same injury with the lakers in 88? and so the answers about the brace and such were thompsons and what he had to do...

my little brother got this exact same injury in high school playing soccer and the good news is it's not the kind of injury that even if surgery is required ever ruins the integrity of the joints inner working, it's not like a tear to an ACL.. it's the knee cap and though it can be painful once the pain subsides and the thing is healed there's not a lot of therapy required to get the strength back.. because all the good stuff that's really important in the knee was uneffected...

the brace my brother wore was like and industrial ace bandage turned into a sleeve that just holds the knee cap in place
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #18
Kappy
Local High School Star

Kappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat cool

I used to work in an Ortho. Rehab Center, and a sub of the knee can either be an ongoing major problem or a minor problem. It sounds like Bynum's wasn't too serious though because none of the ligments or tendons were actually torn; they were just pushed aside for a brief second or 2. What they have to do with Bynum is basically just strengthen and tighten the muscles and ligaments around the knee cap again......so that they're strong enough to hold the knee cap in place. I'm sure he'll be wearing a support sleeve for on the knee for a long time. .... And lots of strengthening rehab and therapy.
Kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #19
Laker Magic 32
Kids at the park dunk on me

Laker Magic 32 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy
I used to work in an Ortho. Rehab Center, and a sub of the knee can either be an ongoing major problem or a minor problem. It sounds like Bynum's wasn't too serious though because none of the ligments or tendons were actually torn; they were just pushed aside for a brief second or 2. What they have to do with Bynum is basically just strengthen and tighten the muscles and ligaments around the knee cap again......so that they're strong enough to hold the knee cap in place. I'm sure he'll be wearing a support sleeve for on the knee for a long time. .... And lots of strengthening rehab and therapy.

Exactly...what holds the knee cap in place is the ligaments, but what will prevent further aggrevation with be the ajoining muslces.
Laker Magic 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #20
Kappy
Local High School Star

Kappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker Magic 32
Exactly...what holds the knee cap in place is the ligaments, but what will prevent further aggrevation with be the ajoining muslces.

It's just a matter of strengthening the muscles again. They have to be strong enough to hold the knee cap in place. As for aggrevation, there really shouldn't be any aggrevation once all the fluid and edema is gone. When fluid is introduced into any body part or anatomical structure it pushes those organs or structures aside, causing pain .... but once the fluid is removed surgically or absorbed into the body naturally, the pain is usually relieved pretty much immediately. Bynum will just have to do a lot of muscle building again in that knee.....THAT'S the key to avoiding any lingering problems. MUSCLE, MUSCLE, MUSCLE!!! Eventually though, all pain and aggrevation will be gone (barring he doesn't re-injure it)!!

Last edited by Kappy : 02-11-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #21
Kappy
Local High School Star

I'm going to try to get an inside scoop for you guys. That way we will know whether we should keep speculating about Bynum's knee. I am very, very, very close with one of the therapist that used to work on and with the Lakers with their injuries (including Shaq). He used to work at Centinela Hospital (the "Lakers hospital"), but now he works in probably the best Ortho. Rehab. Clinics in the city. I'm hoping that he's still one of the therapists that the Lakers use. The clinic he works at is in Sanata Monica (LA westside), and in an article, Bynum says "he's going to a therapist in West L.A". ....... So, I'm hoping!!! I'll let you know!!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #22
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong wayIN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong way

WHatever happens, I think they should give him at least another week after he is "cleared" by the doctors...there is no reason to rush him back, even if that means a return around March 20th....
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: