Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If Wade plays his cards right, he could guarantee himself another $20 for his career.

Let's be honest, that dude is not going to demand another big contract 2 years from now. If Wade opts in for the next 2 years for the $40 million or whatever it is, he's never getting another big contract again. So if I'm Wade this is what I do:

Before opting out, I go to LeBron and Pat Riley and say I'll opt out, but I want a new deal. 5 years, $60 million. The Heat do it because it effectively cuts Wade's cap number in half this year and allows us to add another elite player to the mix. I do it because I guarantee myself a lot more money for my career. If that happens, there's almost not chance LeBron takes off.

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: If Wade plays his cards right, he could guarantee himself another $20 for his career.

One problem with this which I don't think people have asked is would Wade even want to play more then another 2 years? I have a hard time thinking he'd want to play another 4-5 years even if it's not a medical retirement. And if it's not a medical retirement, he'd lose that money on the remaining years.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Default Re: If Wade plays his cards right, he could guarantee himself another $20 for his career.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHAKIDD532
    Let's be honest, that dude is not going to demand another big contract 2 years from now. If Wade opts in for the next 2 years for the $40 million or whatever it is, he's never getting another big contract again. So if I'm Wade this is what I do:

Before opting out, I go to LeBron and Pat Riley and say I'll opt out, but I want a new deal. 5 years, $60 million. The Heat do it because it effectively cuts Wade's cap number in half this year and allows us to add another elite player to the mix. I do it because I guarantee myself a lot more money for my career. If that happens, there's almost not chance LeBron takes off.
    he can only get a 4 year contract.

ISH's 1st Embiid Stan AboutBuckets's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZHAKIDD532

The new CBA mandates that you cannot do this for players who would reach age 35 during their newly negotiated contract to prevent situations very similar to this.

$20?

What's he going to buy with that, a used dvd?

NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by BasedTom
    $20?

He could not be cheap and buy a new one for $17.99 actually. I just did the math and he'd have 39 cents leftover!

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AboutBuckets
    The new CBA mandates that you cannot do this for players who would reach age 35 during their newly negotiated contract to prevent situations very similar to this.
    Wait, so what CAN Wade do? He can only get a max of a 3 year deal?

he can get a 4-yr deal now...and Miami WILL be offering him $50-55 mil. he gets paid an extra $10-15 mil to ride the pine (ala Manu) for an added 2-yrs while Lebron and company have him coattailed to more jewelry.

WIN:WIN situation!

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    One problem with this which I don't think people have asked is would Wade even want to play more then another 2 years? I have a hard time thinking he'd want to play another 4-5 years even if it's not a medical retirement. And if it's not a medical retirement, he'd lose that money on the remaining years.

Wade has expressed in being in the league for many years just as recently as the NBA finals...he'll take the 4yr then retire, seems his best option to me

His value hasn't dropped THAT much

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    His value hasn't dropped THAT much

definitely has...his value is only high because of his Heat longevity, on the market he's not fielding more than $10 mil a year if he's even that lucky

we "owe" it to him

Quote Originally Posted by BasedTom
    $20?

lol right meant $20 million.

I didn't realize there were rules for players over 35. What is the rule exactly?

And as far the 5 years go, I could be wrong, but I think if you're re-signing your own FA you can give him 5 years. If you sign someone else's you can only do 4. So like Deron Williams and Chris Paul both got 5 year deals by re-signing, but Dwight only got 4 years.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by r15mohd
    definitely has...his value is only high because of his Heat longevity, on the market he's not fielding more than $10 mil a year if he's even that lucky

we "owe" it to him
    A bum like Igoudala makes 12 mil per

People still don't understand NBA contracts

Wade's getting 15 on the market

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Problem right now is people in this thread are ascribing what THEY want Wade to do, not realistically taking stock of the player's options. Wade's agents should be fired if they're not telling him "You have two years left on those knees. Take your money, call it a career and live large in Miami for the rest of your days."

The fact is there's nothing Wade can add to his legacy at this point that improves his standing in the GOAT shooting guard discussion. He's reached his zenith in terms of his career and his legacy. More jewelry for him is meaningless...its just rings he gets for his safe while Lebron takes all the shine. Its not Dwayne Wade's job to win titles for Lebron James' legacy.

Meanwhile, should he opt in and play less minutes let's say for these next two years and stay relatively healthy, he could easily land a 2 year/$12 million per at age 34 anywhere he wanted. Then he keeps his $42 million guaranteed, stays in the Top 5 shooting guard conversation and continues to get paid as one of the league's better bench scorers.

Quote Originally Posted by HiphopRelated
    A bum like Igoudala makes 12 mil per

People still don't understand NBA contracts

Wade's getting 15 on the market
    there's nothing to understand.

Iggy can sustain an 82 game season...Wade would be lucky to make 60 leading his own team, and then hoping he's capable of playoff contention.

if a team is paying Wade 15mil a season...it's popularity to fill seats, simply that