Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can someone please explain why alts are acceptable?

Sorry for beating this subject to death but can somebody please explain to me why alternate accounts are allowed?
    From the looks of it alternate accounts bring trouble and seems to aggravate a lot of posters. It just seems so senseless.
    Why is it allowed? I've seen somebody post that it generates more traffic but how? Are ad hits based on accounts or on IP addresses? Is there some sort of bonus payout for the number of members a site has? Please explain the advertisement side. I've asked before but never had it answered

shhhhhhh

Default Re: Can someone please explain why alts are acceptable?

Well ad sales are generated by clicks or page views so imagine when RG has all 23 of his alts up and running and arguing with themselves? we talking big cash...lol

I mean one good Kobe Lebron thread attended by RG's army and Jeff's doing the old Red Lobster right

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    Well ad sales are generated by clicks or page views so imagine when RG has all 23 of his alts up and running and arguing with themselves? we talking big cash...lol

I mean one good Kobe Lebron thread attended by RG's army and Jeff's doing the old Red Lobster right
    So if RG clicks an ad ALL his accounts count as an ad hit per each account?

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I'm pretty sure yeah. Unless the ads only allow one IP per click registered than it wouldn't matter how many of one single persons IP hits x amount of ads.

I believe you would have to click multiple different ads.

I actually have 4 alts. One of them I've never even used because I forgot the password AND the password to the email that I would have to use to change the password. The other ones are out there but rarely used though

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    I'm pretty sure yeah. Unless the ads only allow one IP per click registered than it wouldn't matter how many of one single persons IP hits x amount of ads.

I believe you would have to click multiple different ads.
    Then back to my point, the alternate accounts are useless towards ads, if the second part is true

Quote Originally Posted by kaiteng
    Because sometimes you undeservedly banned and you still want to stick around.
    Let's be real, you really have to go out of your way to be banned. You can get away with a lot on here.
    Jeff is a very easy going guy all things considering, same with the admins

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    I actually have 4 alts. One of them I've never even used because I forgot the password AND the password to the email that I would have to use to change the password. The other ones are out there but rarely used though
    Yeah but they were used for entertainment, not to be a douche.
    But latina heat was kind of douchey

Yeah she's a firecracker

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

If pulled correctly I think they are very entertaining.

You shouldn't ban ip for obvious reasons.

shhhhhhh

Well it's also page views and active accounts and a myriad of other things... It's not any one thing.

There's also the crawlers that constantly check the website for updates... Google alone may have 20 of them scanning the entire site for changes, I know that's what google uses for ad content... It's why you can make a thread here and search google 10 minutes later and have it show up in search results

shhhhhhh

Let's be real, you really have to go out of your way to be banned. You can get away with a lot on here.
    Jeff is a very easy going guy all things considering, same with the admins
    This is true.. you have to really cross a line to get banned here, Jeff and Steve and whomever are very lenient.. sometimes even overly so if you ask me but it's not my site... If you get banned here you screwed up

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    Well it's also page views and active accounts and a myriad of other things... It's not any one thing.

There's also the crawlers that constantly check the website for updates... Google alone may have 20 of them scanning the entire site for changes, I know that's what google uses for ad content... It's why you can make a thread here and search google 10 minutes later and have it show up in search results
    Can you dumb it down a bit for me? You're talking to a dinosaur who doesn't know what "check it" means

shhhhhhh

Can you dumb it down a bit for me? You're talking to a dinosaur who doesn't know what "check it" means

There's a ton of companies that's business is monitoring websites, they make reports that advertisers subscribe to...

They don't just count clicks or IP addy's. As a mater of fact IP addy's are private all that can be used for is to generate geographic information and or as you may have seen some custom tailored ads directed at you on certain sites like Facebook

They take in lots of info, site views or visits to the site, page views, every time somebody clicks on a new link like when you open up a thread or are bouncing between a few threads on a site that takes you to a new page it's another page view...

They check how long people are staying on the site, i forget the name of that but it's why a place like CNN offers s much content on a page, they get you there looking at one thing but by adding in all those links to photo galleries and vids, older articles etc etc etc they are hoping you just camp out there for the morning and how long you are camped there is what is used as part of the basis for what they charge advertisers

I did a wordpress blog for my sister, we were monitoring the site and after she posted an article she had something crazy like 1000 page views within 4 hours and she was all excited yes! then upon further review 98% of the views were from various web research companies... lol

Google alone had crawled the page over 80 times from over 60 different IP addresses
    Last edited by gts; 01-13-2014 at 08:33 PM.