Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    College superstar

Default Re: ISH Hall of Fame Project: Class of 1990 Voting

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    No one even mentioned Louie Dampier who leads that league in all-time scoring.

The reason I voted for him, and I believe many share my sentiments is that in his two almost healthy prime seasons he managed to win an MVP, led a team to the title, led a team to the leagues record and win a Finals MVP. Most of the guys were going to in unanimously could not do that in a 10-15 year healthy career. Surely we will vote in Ewing he did none of those things. Barkley and Malone have two of four achievements.

How can you vote for Issel, a great player, but a guy who made one NBA all-star team in nine NBA seasons and not Walton who led the Blazers to a title in that all-star season for Issel ('77)??
    I'm primarily an NBA fan. Anyone I vote for outside of the NBA is having to be researched. That said, without having the name put in front of me to research, I didn't know of him. But I would have voted him in.

And I understand the greatness of Walton while he played. I get it. And if we were doing a peak HOF, then he would be a shoo-in. But I am not. My interpretation of a HOF (which will obviously differ slightly from yours and everyone else's) is a career HOF. The entirety of the career is to be considered. And at the end of that consideration, Walton just didn't have enough time.

Edit: The career aspect of my HOF qualifications are why I value the leading scorer in a major league. Just like I'll vote for Oscar Schmidt later. I suppose I should look up the leading scorer in Euroleague history...

Sorry, out and won't be home until late tonight or tomorrow, so I don't have time to write out explanations. My picks:

Kareem
    Dr. J
    Gilmore
    Jones
    Walton

In addition to Belov and Gus Johnson.

Actually, throw in Iceman and McAdoo as well.

New Thread in the Morning, last call for votes...

Silly question, but how many more years does Sampson have to play at his 83-84 through 85-86 level to make it into our HOF? Before going down, he put up 16.7/9.2/3.0 with 1.6 blocks on .489 shooting, and in the playoffs 18.6/8.8/2.1 with 1.2 blocks on .514 shooting.