Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: 8 Years Ago Gilbert Arenas...

I loved watching prime Hitachi

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HomieWeMajor
    It's Hibachi. I'm sure you were a big fan.

Very good NBA starter

when you drop 60 in the nba, people will still talk about you 8 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Vman23
    Odd Fact: Gilbert Arenas is 13th all time in career +-, and among point guards is #3 all time behind Magic Johnson and Steve Nash. So even with all the chucking, he had the third biggest impact on his teams offense among all point guards. Also, his 13.6 win shares in 06 is better than a lot of guys career best such as Derick Rose, Paul Pierce, Carmello Anthony, basically its better than most border line Hall of Famers. That said, he basically had a career ending injury at 25 years old when Gerald Wallace fell on his knee.
    Here's some more odd facts he averaged 5.3 assists to 3.2 turnovers for his career. He shot 42% for his career and 35% from 3. In his two highest scoring years he took 20.9 shots to get 29 and 28 ppg. So cherry picking a plus minus rating to show how much of an impact he had on offense is misleading at best. He was a point guard in name only. He was a guy who looked for his shot first second and third and then maybe he would give up the rock. He was exciting and had some great games and was awesome for a second rounder but he was what he was, a chucker with awful shot selection that would never win you a championship in a million years. He was a nice guy and smart but he had one of the worst shot selections I've ever seen.

Default Re: 7 Years Ago Gilbert Arenas...

Really? I think of Gilbert's Arenas offensive arsenal, and the guy literally had no weaknesses outside of shot selection. Had probably the most range in nba history, midrange game, could get by any defender at will, good mid range game, and could post up smaller guards. His biggest weakness was that he was dumb as a rock and had shitty shot selection, but when focused? Total offensive package.
    I don't think that he had anywhere near the most range in NBA history he just had no conscience and would jack up a shot at any time. This has to be one of the more absurd things said on ISH in a while.

Here's some stats on his great mid range game.

in shots 3-10 ft he never shot above .353 for a full season and shot .271 for his career

in shots 10-16 ft he shot .458 one time AFTER he was hurt. He never shot above .411 before that and averaged .394 for his career

shots <16 ft he never shot above .431 and shot .408 for his career

Bernard King shot .518 for his career and barely shot any 3s. That's a midrange game.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    Here's some more odd facts he averaged 5.3 assists to 3.2 turnovers for his career. He shot 42% for his career and 35% from 3. In his two highest scoring years he took 20.9 shots to get 29 and 28 ppg. So cherry picking a plus minus rating to show how much of an impact he had on offense is misleading at best. He was a point guard in name only. He was a guy who looked for his shot first second and third and then maybe he would give up the rock. He was exciting and had some great games and was awesome for a second rounder but he was what he was, a chucker with awful shot selection that would never win you a championship in a million years. He was a nice guy and smart but he had one of the worst shot selections I've ever seen.
    OMG turnovers and FG%

ISH

Pair him with Prime Shaq (ala Kobe) and watch the two of them 3peat

It's ugly ass B.Walton

Bernard King was a completely different style of mid-range jumpshooter than Gilbert. He was mostly taking turnarounds and rarely stepped outside 17 ft to shoot. Now I do agree that Bernard King clearly was a better mid-range shooter than Arenas, but the comparison is pretty dumb

With that being said Arenas definitely had a nice mid-range game but random ass shot selection.

One of the most entertaining players ever. Dude was borderline automatic from 30-35 feet. Absolutely loved watching him play and wish he was still in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Element
    Bernard King was a completely different style of mid-range jumpshooter than Gilbert. He was mostly taking turnarounds and rarely stepped outside 17 ft to shoot. Now I do agree that Bernard King clearly was a better mid-range shooter than Arenas, but the comparison is pretty dumb

With that being said Arenas definitely had a nice mid-range game but random ass shot selection.
    yeah, is there anyone that has ever said Gil had better midrange game than King

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

My niga.

Really? I think of Gilbert's Arenas offensive arsenal, and the guy literally had no weaknesses outside of shot selection. Had probably the most range in nba history, midrange game, could get by any defender at will, good mid range game, and could post up smaller guards. His biggest weakness was that he was dumb as a rock and had shitty shot selection, but when focused? Total offensive package.
    I remember watching him do an interview and the situation they were talking about, Gilbert referred to it as a "double headed sword"

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    yeah, is there anyone that has ever said Gil had better midrange game than King
    I used him because this guy said how great Gil's midrange game was, which I refuted with evidence and told him what a good midrange game looked like. NO but him or someone else had the nerve to say that Gil had the best range ever for a player which is absolutely absurd. Someone also called him a hall of famer.

Yes, I used FG% and Assists/Turnover because this dude was raving about how great a PG Arenas was. So yeah, showing things like efficiency is a normal thing when talking about a PG. He cherry picked a +/- stat that was totally misleading so I used other stats to help show more of what kind of player he was. Arenas would not have meshed with Shaq and Kobe because there would not be enough balls. Kobe clashed with Shaq when they were together could you imagine how Arenas would have fit on that team? He wouldn't have. Look at Irving with Lebron and Love, he's still not giving it up and he's half the player Arenas was and 1/4 of Kobe. Throwing random players who are good together on the same team doesn't work. Arenas was a good player when he was hot and for as many awesome unbelievable shots he would make, he would make just as many boneheaded ones. He was exciting for sure and he was good for the league. All of this romanticizing about him because he's gone has to be a little more realistic. Also, he was an absolutely horrible defender but I'm sure everyone forgot that and thinks he was one of the best in the league.
    Last edited by chocolatethunder; 12-02-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    I remember watching him do an interview and the situation they were talking about, Gilbert referred to it as a "double headed sword"
    haha ok that's a good one. Not as good as Hitachi but still pretty good.

"Hibachi". I'd take Prime Gilbo over Westbrook.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    "Hibachi". I'd take Prime Gilbo over Westbrook.