Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Eh it was too slow and boring for me, like a parody of a gritty dramatic crime series instead of a real one. Not as bad as Breaking Bad though.

From the HBO series I liked Oz the most, had more of a flavor and personality. Better humor, acting and entertainment value.

Oz is very underrated. My only knock against it is the last season kind of sucks.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Oz is very underrated. My only knock against it is the last season kind of sucks.
    People are forgetting OZ in this thread and in general.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923

This. Oz always consistently keeps your interest throughout the whole show. And the characters were fantastic.

[QUOTE=andgar923]

That's basically why I made this thread. The Sopranos revolutionized not just TV, but impacted culture and film in the process. Like you stated it will be rembered forever as that.

Wire was good but there's a difference between being good and GREATEST SHOW OF ALL TIME. Do people not see the hyperbole around this show.
    The Wire a lot but its one of those things that starts to get overrated because it was underrated for so long. Sopranos had better everything imo. Even the side characters were better than The Wire's most interesting characters.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Don't forget Ed Burns. He was The Wire's secret weapon.

He spent 20 years as a cop then retired and became a school teacher. The Wire is much more about his experiences than Simon's. In fact season 5 which focused on the failures of the press and thus was based on David Simon's experiences was the weakest season.
    You're right for the most part, but if you think David Simon's experiences were limited to the journalistic aspect of it you need to read his book "Homicide."

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Which is why you "got it" only after people mentioned it and completely failed to properly assert it on your own iniation.
    Good try but not the case.

I never gave a detailed insightful analysis of the show. I just gave a rant on some of the things that popped into mind at the moment.

Or should I have given a literary critique on the show touching on every single theme, character, storyline structure, arc, with a dramatic timeline graph ranging 2-3 pages long?

And suppose I didn't get it, and now the insightful analysis from posters opened up another door

Good try but not the case.

I never gave a detailed insightful analysis of the show. I just gave a rant on some of the things that popped into mind at the moment.
    Yes, iniatially your main criticism of the show was "uuh guy looks like a Lesbian, am I rite? hurr durr". In other words, typical andgar shit.

Then you started going on a small, nonsensical rant about how characters were cliches which showed you simply didn't get the show.

If what you said made sense and you actually did understand the show and provided valid criticism, then why is no one agreeing with you? Or even arguing with you based on the merits of your argument? Oh, because everybody is your "hater" and is "personally attacking" you?! Keep thinking that the problem is the rest of the world and not you man, you are a misunderstood genius!

Oz went to shit once Adibese was killed.

may not, in fact, be the GOAT drama. depends on your perspective, and your preference.

but your logic (e.g., "thus= overrated") is dumb.

but sleep if you want. sweet dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    You're right for the most part, but if you think David Simon's experiences were limited to the journalistic aspect of it you need to read his book "Homicide."
    Yeah. I have. I read The Corner that both of them did too. I believe writing Homicide is where he first met Ed Burns.

It's also a tribute to Simon's instincts as a writer that he would want to hook up with Ed Burns because he's

A. Great source material
    B. An incredibly unusual cop

Simon also had the instinct that Burns could turn into a screenwriter as well. He basically just gave him some scripts and said make it like those. Simon also to his credit wanted to work with great fiction writers like Richard Price and Dennis Lehane.

It's a tribute to Simon as a producer that he built the series with Burns and it's not a dis to Simon to say the show wouldn't have been what it was without Burns.

Also it fairness, to Simon cops and teachers lend themselves better to drama than newspaper writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reef
    Oz went to shit once Adibese was killed.
    It lost a ton of momentum, thats for sure. The storylines also got pretty bad

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Yes, iniatially your main criticism of the show was "uuh guy looks like a Lesbian, am I rite? hurr durr". In other words, typical andgar shit.

Then you started going on a small, nonsensical rant about how characters were cliches which showed you simply didn't get the show.

If what you said made sense and you actually did understand the show and provided valid criticism, then why is no one agreeing with you? Or even arguing with you based on the merits of your argument? Oh, because everybody is your "hater" and is "personally attacking" you?! Keep thinking that the problem is the rest of the world and not you man, you are a misunderstood genius!

And to Jackass, you have a slight point. But there's been other shows that I've seen that met or surpassed the hype.
    But that level of hype? 'Monumental, GOAT' level hype? That seems like the level of hype where you go in looking to nitpick things because you don't believe it could possibly be that good. Almost like you want it to fail maybe because you didn't experience it when it first came out and you don't want to be a latecomer to the party. It can be difficult to detach yourself from a high level of hype. I've just seen so many people come away disappointed with something when they go into it thinking it's supposed to be perfection. And well, your posts in this thread make it seem like you're rebelling against it and are biased against it.

I'd say to give it a chance. It's certainly worth it. I don't have HBO so I haven't seen Game of Thrones, so I don't have an opinion on that, but I have heard the hype for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    But that level of hype? 'Monumental, GOAT' level hype? That seems like the level of hype where you go in looking to nitpick things because you don't believe it could possibly be that good. Almost like you want it to fail maybe because you didn't experience it when it first came out and you don't want to be a latecomer to the party. It can be difficult to detach yourself from a high level of hype. I've just seen so many people come away disappointed with something when they go into it thinking it's supposed to be perfection. And well, your posts in this thread make it seem like you're rebelling against it and are biased against it.

I'd say to give it a chance. It's certainly worth it. I don't have HBO so I haven't seen Game of Thrones, so I don't have an opinion on that, but I have heard the hype for it.
    This would be true, but I've loved plenty of shows that were hyped as much. Maybe I didn't think they were the GOAT show, but I'm apprehensive on calling most shows that no matter how much I love them.

Good show, not GOAT. Not better than Sopranos (which I'm not a huge fan of either). Sopranos moved very slowly, Wire is much faster compared to Sopranos. But I can appreciate Sopranos' quality. Although many will disagree, OZ was not only more 'entertaining', but on par as far as quality.

People get too hung up on "depth and meaning" without realizing that it ultimately has to be entertaining. OZ does a great job at both, Wire isn't as captivating edge of your seats, at least for me it wasn't. I wasn't as anxious to watch the next episode as I was other shows. I wasn't awed by the brilliant acting or scenes. It moved methodically, never too fast, never too slow, very even. Their faithful reproduction of gritty realism also caused it to feel like a doc instead of a crime-drama at times. Yes it is nice to make it an honest real life representation, but shit, make it a bit fun more frequently. As slow as Sopranos was, when they went hard they got your attention. Those f*ckers grabbed you by the balls and pulled you in. Dr Melfi and Tony talking in her office was just as captivating as some of the action scenes. Those scenes almost always delivered, brilliantly written, directed, shot, acted, they made you sit up and notice, at times stopped you dead in your tracks. Wire has those in much smaller quantities if at all in some episodes (again

Andgar, the show starts pretty slow so if you wanted some type of action right away i can understand why you might not like it.

This show focuses mainly on building the characters and managed to do it like no other show in my opinion. You talk about cliche lines and characters. Its nothing of that sort. The characters are "real" and complex, This show is amazing because it managed to create A LOT of great in depth personalities.

Literally every portrait is amazingly created. The scenes in the show are "real". The thoughts of the average drug dealer are illustrated in a unique fashion. Take for example the "chess" lesson D'angelo gave to the little drug dealers and how it resembles the drug world. Take Bunk using a xerox machine as a lie detector on a young uneducated kid to make him confess a murder. Take Omar and his understanding of "the game". Take Prop Joe trying to civilize Marlo. When Marlo came to kill him, Joe said "i treated you like a child" to which Marlo replied something along the lines of "im not that kind of child".

This show is viewed as Goat because it managed to be so complex (reaching most of Baltimore's problems) and having such amazing characters. Literally every character has its role in the show and the writing and dialog are elite.