Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Official Definition: Better Scorer Means Being Able To Score In More Ways

OP once literally challenged me to a fist fight because I said Dirk >>>> Melo

OPs got issues. Hopefully his shrink has a better curing % than Melo shooting %

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Default Re: Official Definition: Better Scorer Means Being Able To Score In More Ways

Dude whats the difference? It only matters who gets W.

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
    Dude whats the difference? It only matters who gets W.
    It mattered to LeBron at the end of games

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
    OP once literally challenged me to a fist fight because I said Dirk >>>> Melo

OPs got issues. Hopefully his shrink has a better curing % than Melo shooting %
    You're just a pu$sy... i'd pick on your weak ass if we had gone to the same school.

Possessions matter. A lot.

Being able to score effectively in multiple ways is big though. It makes it harder to shut you down in the playoffs, when defenses are the best and most intense.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Possessions matter. A lot.

Being able to score effectively in multiple ways is big though. It makes it harder to shut you down in the playoffs, when defenses are the best and most intense.
    Which is why Kobe is the one of the best to ever play this game.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    If I'm a mechanic and I am effective at working on Ferrari's, Laborghini's, Corvettes, Mercedes, Audis, Bentley's, Cadillac's, etc

and you are a guy who specializes only on rotary engines like those in some Mazda's, but you're the best at rotary engines... I am a better mechanic than you.
    This isn't relevant to what I stated. Being a better scorer is more than just having the best scoring arsenal. It's also about scoring more points than the rest of your peers at a great and consistnt level.

Jeff Green can score in many ways including from the low post, mid range, slashing, and the 3. Does that mean he's a better scorer than most of the league?

I want the guy who can score in multiple ways.

Your logic you'd take Reggie Miller over Allen Iverson.

Get Reggie to put the ball on the floor....he cant do it.

Get Reggie to drive to the basket... cant do it well.

Get Reggie to post up.... cant do it.

Let's eliminate screeners... Reggies not as effective.

At the end of a game you don't always get the opportunity to use the SINGULAR WAY you most efficiently score. A jump shot wont always be there. A hook shot for Shaq wont always be there.

You need more weapons to react to different defenses.
    Why would you need a post up if there were better scoring options out there? Reggie and AI didn't have the same responsibilty and aren't in the same class as scorers. Reggie was a ~22 ppg scorer and AI was a ~32 ppg scorer. Their roles are completely different. That's why I said reliability and consistency matter along with volume and efficiency.

Bottom line is if two guys score at the same volume (25 pts for example), but one is alot more consistent and uses his teams possessions alot better (more efficient), THAT'S the guy who you want using ~30 of your teams possessions to score and that's the better scorer. Point blank.

Which is why Kobe is the one of the best to ever play this game.
    He is, but he's much more than a scorer. His scoring is a big part of his value as a player, but it's not everything.

Banned

Oh lawd! NewYorkNoPicks is gonna have another meltdown

The only time versatility should matter is if that versatility allows a player to be more effective than another player over the course of a season. If the more versatile scorer is still clearly less effective than the other player throughout the course of an entire season - it doesn't matter because the less versatile player will help you win more games through scoring than the more versatile player.

If two players are equally or similarly effective that's when you should look at versatility. In other words it shouldn't be a primary requirement it should be secondary. Winning games is all that matters.

A fadeaway over 2 defenders and a layup are both worth 2 points.

Local High School Star

Insidehoops Logic:

Guy at the carnival hitting 30 shots in a row on the basketball game = Better scorer than Melo.

Better percentage = better scorer

Carnival Guy = 100% FG

Carnival Guy = GOAT

If two players had similar ppg production, lets say 30 ppg, then the better scorer would be the one withe superior efficiency.

moves are irrelevant if you do not produce with them.

Banned

Dunking on everybody in the park Djahjaga's Avatar

I want the guy who can score in multiple ways.

Your logic you'd take Reggie Miller over Allen Iverson.

Get Reggie to put the ball on the floor....he cant do it.

Get Reggie to drive to the basket... cant do it well.

Get Reggie to post up.... cant do it.

Let's eliminate screeners... Reggies not as effective.

At the end of a game you don't always get the opportunity to use the SINGULAR WAY you most efficiently score. A jump shot wont always be there. A hook shot for Shaq wont always be there.

You need more weapons to react to different defenses.
    Since the rest of ISH has united against you, I'll take the time to point out that Iverson:

A. also couldn't post up, and
    B. got most of his points by running around screens for jumpers, like Reggie.

Your arguments are completely arbitrary. No one has said Reggie was a better scorer than Iverson. No one would say Karl Malone is a better scorer than Shaq, either, despite his lead in career points.

Edit: As long as we're throwing out arbitrary measures of scoring, I could say that Reggie was a better shooter at all distances, was a better foul shooter (so he was less of a liability at the end of games), was probably more clutch than Iverson, and probably would have scored more if he played in today's 3-point-love-fest of a league, even though he was already way ahead of his time in terms of 3PA.

Note that I'm still not saying he was a better scorer than Iverson; just showing how you can word an argument without much evidence to make anything sound plausible. Which is what you did. And you failed. All of ISH agrees on that.
    Last edited by Djahjaga; 09-07-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Banned