Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Paul Pierce - That isn't why they brought him here

I love the guy, but whenever he runs his mouth after a big shot/win for his team, it eventually comes back to bite him... same shit happened after that 3 he hit on LeBron's face back in 2012 and we all know how this ended...

Same story this year... talking shit after taking over Game 1 and now the Nets are most probably a first-round exit once again...

I hit on 5-footers

Default Re: Paul Pierce - That isn't why they brought him here

Dude always gets too hyped about himself, can't even help it

'Act like you've been there before' is a motto that Pierce is not well aware off, unfortunately for such a great player.

I feel like he has delivered more than not, anyway. This is a bit of odd an odd example for you to make, op.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

He didnt even play in the 4th last game, kinda difficult to make a difference from the bench

Anyway the reason he's in Brooklyn is to get the Celtics picks. No other

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

He's a trash-talker and always has been, both in series he's won as well as lost. Just a confident guy. Besides, that was indeed the reason they brought him here. If people want to single him out afterwards he can take it.

I'm just impressed at a career 2/3 switching over to the 4 at the age of 36 that still has games where he shows he can get it done. If people want to point the finger at him because he talks big, fine, that's something talkers open themselves up to but he's done his best for the Nets, accepting first a role off the bench and then a position where he's always outmatched without complaint. In fact his attitude is great for an athlete and competitor.

I'll always love his tweet after Boston's first game in Miami during the big 3 era..... "It was a pleasure to take my talents to South Beach".

The trash talking era, people like PP and KG, they are becoming extinct. I actually think it makes the game a lot more interesting and more real. Cause you are competing. Yes, its a game, its fun, its something you like to do but you are out there competing for a title, you are being paid. I love the trash talking. Probably another reason Reggie is one of my all time favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    He's a trash-talker and always has been, both in series he's won as well as lost. Just a confident guy. Besides, that was indeed the reason they brought him here. If people want to single him out afterwards he can take it.

I'm just impressed at a career 2/3 switching over to the 4 at the age of 36 that still has games where he shows he can get it done. If people want to point the finger at him because he talks big, fine, that's something talkers open themselves up to but he's done his best for the Nets, accepting first a role off the bench and then a position where he's always outmatched without complaint. In fact his attitude is great for an athlete and competitor.
    I personally was not expecting the Nets to beat Toronto because of the fact the Nets are a bad team (for reasons I can not really understand... chemistry, maybe?) But I was expecting more out of Pierce. Statistically, it looks alright, but from what I've seen (and I turned a few of the games off), he was ****ing up a lot.

He missed so many easy shots in game 2. The nets would be getting crushed if not for JJ going off.

I dunno, I mean I honestly think the Nets can win this series, but that's it. The Raptors are a good team, but they make mistakes. The Nets have made mistakes, too, so I mean... it could be over tonight or could go 7 with the Nets winning. I have to think if it goes 7 that the Nets will pull something out of their ass and win. Maybe that's just being hopeful.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    I personally was not expecting the Nets to beat Toronto because of the fact the Nets are a bad team (for reasons I can not really understand... chemistry, maybe?) But I was expecting more out of Pierce. Statistically, it looks alright, but from what I've seen (and I turned a few of the games off), he was ****ing up a lot.

He missed so many easy shots in game 2. The nets would be getting crushed if not for JJ going off.
    Pierce is 36. Few players have consistently carried their teams at 36. He's supposed to be a complimentary player capable of hitting a big shot, which is what he is. JJ and Williams are supposed to be carrying the Nets right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jbryan1984
    I'll always love his tweet after Boston's first game in Miami during the big 3 era..... "It was a pleasure to take my talents to South Beach".

The trash talking era, people like PP and KG, they are becoming extinct. I actually think it makes the game a lot more interesting and more real. Cause you are competing. Yes, its a game, its fun, its something you like to do but you are out there competing for a title, you are being paid. I love the trash talking. Probably another reason Reggie is one of my all time favorites.
    I think there is a double standard with trash talking. If Lebron and Durant started doing it like Paul Pierce and KG, you wouldnt see people say it was old school or something, you would here nothing but bitching about how classeless it is and how they are better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    I think there is a double standard with trash talking. If Lebron and Durant started doing it like Paul Pierce and KG, you wouldnt see people say it was old school or something, you would here nothing but bitching about how classeless it is and how they are better than that.
    It would depend on what they said. A line like "it was a pleasure to take my talents to South Beach" was funny and it's not like he was dissing James' mother or something. "You look like a cancer patient" on the other hand actually got KG a lot of criticism.

It would depend on what they said. A line like "it was a pleasure to take my talents to South Beach" was funny and it's not like he was dissing James' mother or something. "You look like a cancer patient" on the other hand actually got KG a lot of criticism.
    I mean in general. Like they just constantly insulted other inferior teams/players. Nothing major like a cancer patient insult though.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    I mean in general. Like they just constantly insulted other inferior teams/players. Nothing major like a cancer patient insult though.
    Even before that line, lots of fans and players complain about KG. Joakim Noah hates him (they'd probably love each other if they were on the same team but that's a different topic). Back when he played Reggie Miller was despised by everyone but Pacer fans. Trash-talkers have always been polarizing.

His attitude within the team is every bit as good as it can be. However, I expected him to acknowledge the situation -that he won't be able to back up his words with actions as often as in the past due to his age- and slow down his trash talk, especially when he's been exposed time and time again...

Quote Originally Posted by albas89
    His attitude within the team is every bit as good as it can be. However, I expected him to acknowledge the situation -that he won't be able to back up his words with actions as often as in the past due to his age- and slow down his trash talk, especially when he's been exposed time and time again...
    Why should that be something he's concerned with? His primary focus is winning. The trash talk would be secondary at best. So the reaction people have to his talk just doesn't rate high in things that concern Pierce. He's a competitor in the moment, he's not worried about what people will say if his team loses.

Why should that be something he's concerned with? His primary focus is winning. The trash talk would be secondary at best. So the reaction people have to his talk just doesn't rate high in things that concern Pierce. He's a competitor in the moment, he's not worried about what people will say if his team loses.
    Tbh, I haven't seen much competitive spirit from him throughout the series, as well as from most of the Nets' players not named Joe Johnson...