Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Default Re: Mental breakdows in sport history

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
did i read that correctly? she was world number one at 18, with 3 grand slam titles, and never even got to a slam final again? what happened to her?
Cunnilingus on Martina Hingis
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
did i read that correctly? she was world number one at 18, with 3 grand slam titles, and never even got to a slam final again? what happened to her?
Injuries first, cocaine later. She was awesome, yes. Could've very well become the best ever.
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
First one to come to mind.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
32jazz
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
Very sad was there anything later on, on why he had the breakdown did he open up about it?

Woody Hayes Punching an opposing player in a bowl game?

I've searched & never heard a legitimate reason for this breakdown from McCall although I've heard many theories.

Funny how McCall allows a cautious ,but confused Lennox Lewis I admit, to unload without really defending himself yet never went down

McCall never went down in his career & must of had one of the best chins in boxing history.

Off topic the first McCall-Lewis fight was stopped too early. Lewis was Champ with his hands up & walking forward(wobbly I admit) , but he was responding & had his gloves up. Champ should get the benefit of the doubt .

Last edited by 32jazz : 07-11-2013 at 01:22 PM.
32jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #20
gigantes
   

hingis' decline had nothing to do with cocaine, and it's not even clear she really had cocaine in her system the one and only time she tested for it.

her success was based on strategic mastery with limited power... unfortunately a whole crop of badass power players entered the game around the same time as her. williams sisters, pierce, davenport and others. once they became polished strategists, her main chance was reduced to catching them on a bad day.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
looks like he's throwing the fight to me.
Oliver McCall got robbed after the fight as well. 3 men took his 1.5 million dollar paycheck he had stuffed in his sock.

You might be able to google it, but it certainly did happen.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #22
Wally450
Easy Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Lennox Lewis - Oliver McCall II was one of the oddest moments in sports history. Guy had a mental breakdown inside the ring during the fight.

Oliver McCall mental breakdown

I understand the breakdown, by why didn't Lennox Lewis just knock his ass out?

Its still a fight isn't it?
Wally450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #23
ROCSteady
One of One

DONOVAN McScabb in the Super Bowl's conclusion
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #24
32jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally450
I understand the breakdown, by why didn't Lennox Lewis just knock his ass out?

Its still a fight isn't it?

Caution. McCall ko'ed him once before & is not to be toyed with.

Confusion. Lewis just didn't no wtf was going on.

Plus McCall had one of the best chins in HW Boxing history & has never been knocked down, let alone Ko 'ed in 70 fights or so.

Lennox Lewis does nails the guy with a vicious uppercut(hands by his side) in rd 5 I believe & McCall barely steps back.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #25
unbreakable
Decent college freshman

hard to stomach that lewis/mccall video.... mccall is clearly throwing the fight against his own wishes..

heres how i bet it went down... he knocked out lewis in the first matchup.. so don king comes up to him

don king "we need you to lose"

mccall " i dont want to. i can win"

don king "you lose or die"

mccall "alright ill lose"

so mccall is in there as a grown man, doing something hes very passionate about but is forced to lose on purpose and it destroys him emotionally.

this is why boxing is the worst sport ever created.

Last edited by unbreakable : 07-12-2013 at 02:52 AM.
unbreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #26
iamgine

So what really happened that night? McCall’s explanation is stranger than what most people saw with their own eyes, if that’s possible.

“I was going through a situation,” McCall said. “I felt I wasn’t being treated fairly, and I wasn’t able to handle the unfairness by certain people that were around me.

“I got kicked out of one gym because I complained that a stripper was coming in and watching me train. Guess what they done? They didn’t kick the stripper out, they kicked me out.

“So I went a couple of days without training while I looked for a new gym. Just a lot of things going on. Bottom line, a lot of those things I brought on myself. The situation I was in, I wasn’t capable of mentally sustaining the repercussions of everything that was happening.”

If it sounds as if McCall needed psychological help, he had already sought it and was, in fact, undergoing treatment.

“I told the psychologist, `I can’t handle this. I need to get out of here. If I’m crazy, please let me know. People are playing games with me, real wicked games.

“The psychologist said, `No, you’re not crazy. But you got to learn to get past this. You got to be strong.’ I told him if they kept playing those games with me, there would come a time in the fight when I’d stop fighting and not throw no punches.”

Exactly what sort of mind games the alleged conspirators were playing with McCall weren’t exactly spelled out, but he said members of his family were used as leverage against him.

“I made arrangements for my mother and my brother to come to the fight,” he said. “They (and he doesn’t list who `they’ were, although the inference is that King was involved) said, `Oliver, if your mama and brother come to the fight, you going to jail.’ That was the last straw. I told my wife and kids, `Don’t look at this fight. Something bad is going to happen.’

“It’s documented, really. I had already told my psychologist I was going to do what I did. He knew. My family knew.

“I was mad. Upset. My life had been messed with too much. I basically said, `All right. If you’re going to play games with me, I got something for y’all.’ In the third round, Lennox hit me with a punch. I went to the ropes and looked at his mama rooting him on. I thought about my mama and I thought, `OK, you can have this now.’

“It hurted me. It made me cry.”

iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
gigantes
   

holy shit. poor guy. (if true)
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #28
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
So what really happened that night? McCall’s explanation is stranger than what most people saw with their own eyes, if that’s possible.

“I was going through a situation,” McCall said. “I felt I wasn’t being treated fairly, and I wasn’t able to handle the unfairness by certain people that were around me.

“I got kicked out of one gym because I complained that a stripper was coming in and watching me train. Guess what they done? They didn’t kick the stripper out, they kicked me out.

“So I went a couple of days without training while I looked for a new gym. Just a lot of things going on. Bottom line, a lot of those things I brought on myself. The situation I was in, I wasn’t capable of mentally sustaining the repercussions of everything that was happening.”

If it sounds as if McCall needed psychological help, he had already sought it and was, in fact, undergoing treatment.

“I told the psychologist, `I can’t handle this. I need to get out of here. If I’m crazy, please let me know. People are playing games with me, real wicked games.

“The psychologist said, `No, you’re not crazy. But you got to learn to get past this. You got to be strong.’ I told him if they kept playing those games with me, there would come a time in the fight when I’d stop fighting and not throw no punches.”

Exactly what sort of mind games the alleged conspirators were playing with McCall weren’t exactly spelled out, but he said members of his family were used as leverage against him.

“I made arrangements for my mother and my brother to come to the fight,” he said. “They (and he doesn’t list who `they’ were, although the inference is that King was involved) said, `Oliver, if your mama and brother come to the fight, you going to jail.’ That was the last straw. I told my wife and kids, `Don’t look at this fight. Something bad is going to happen.’

“It’s documented, really. I had already told my psychologist I was going to do what I did. He knew. My family knew.

“I was mad. Upset. My life had been messed with too much. I basically said, `All right. If you’re going to play games with me, I got something for y’all.’ In the third round, Lennox hit me with a punch. I went to the ropes and looked at his mama rooting him on. I thought about my mama and I thought, `OK, you can have this now.’

“It hurted me. It made me cry.”

Damn thats messed up. some legit depressing shit.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #29
32jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbreakable
hard to stomach that lewis/mccall video.... mccall is clearly throwing the fight against his own wishes..

heres how i bet it went down... he knocked out lewis in the first matchup.. so don king comes up to him

don king "we need you to lose"

mccall " i dont want to. i can win"

don king "you lose or die"

mccall "alright ill lose"

so mccall is in there as a grown man, doing something hes very passionate about but is forced to lose on purpose and it destroys him emotionally.

this is why boxing is the worst sport ever created.

I'm fairly new to Boxing ,but why would Don King want his own fighter(McCall) to throw a fight & chance to take control of the WBC belt?

If anything King rushed McCall into the ring after an drug arrest & trip to rehab?

Sounds like the King camp ,who desperately wants the title, was trying to keep McCall away from his family & other 'distractions' so he doesn't have some type of relapse.

McCall resented this King camp interference & was not only sick, but bitter at his Spartan like treatment from King camp.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #30
TheFan
Dunking on everybody in the park

1996 world series.
Braves vs Yankees. Game 4.

Mark Wohlers vs Jim Leyritz.

Quote:
Wohlers' success would not last forever. In Game 4 of the 1996 World Series against the New York Yankees, Wohlers gave up a stunning 3-run home run to Jim Leyritz that tied the game at 6. After this, the momentum of the Series shifted and the Yankees won it in six games. Many observe that Wohlers was never the same after that. In 1998, he seemed to lose all ability to control his pitches. He spent part of the season at Triple-A Richmond, but still finished the season with a major league earned run average of 10.18. His control problems were dramatic. In 20.1 major league innings, Wohlers walked 33 batters. After being sent down to Triple-A, Wohlers walked 36 batters in only 12.1 innings. His symptoms were a prime example of what is commonly known as Steve Blass disease - a psychological block which manifests itself when baseball players overthink the act of throwing a baseball and consequently become unable to throw with any sort of control.

SOURCE
TheFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: