Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #31
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Quote:
I respect the guy who goes "I'll be damned if my family's gonna starve and die, so I'm going to get a fcking job like the rest of the normal world." I think you forgot that one.

Simple answer from an obviously simple person.....what else would I expect?
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #32
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

You gave homeless people two choices - death or crime. That was stupid. I'm merely pointing that out.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #33
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
You gave homeless people two choices - death or crime. That was stupid. I'm merely pointing that out.

No I didnt give homeless people only two choices... I simply asked which one was deserving of respect between the two different thought patterns that go thru struggling people's minds...

You just assumed that the homeless people I mentioned didnt already have jobs and were still homeless because their jobs dont pay enough to even afford them a place to live ...

your bad..

You may not understand or know about that, but it is a reality.....

It isnt a simple as job=good life.. thats the point of the question..
Old 02-28-2007, 03:52 PM   #34
0ne50
Local High School Star

I thought I could keep it light with you, but now I see I'm going to have to break it down. I originally said that I am on Bill's side on this. Just because he is saying something. Bill Cosby is not on my list of people that needs my protection! It's too many black people from the black community that's out there cooning, trying to say something slick and be something that's considered cool. They are too worried about losing fans, endorsements, movie deals, etc... We feed each other too much negative information.... we watch the news at night and see ourselves negatively just for reinforcement.
Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods could come out and do more for the black comunity, but they won't. That's because we'll be to busy talking about something they did or said in the past insted of listen to them... and God forbid if MJ or Tiger says "be more responsible", everybody and their mother would go public with some scathing gossip about either of the two. For us it's so easy to divide and so hard to unite. There's no leadership, no direction.... can't name one person that would satisfy, because...

"He dresses like a f*ggot"
"He aint from the hood"
"He probably is married to a white woman"
"His brother 'whathisname?' is doing life in the feds and he don't visit or send any money"
"He owe me money"
"His wife is a freak"

The government don't do that to us, we do it all on our own. Unity in the community won't come cheap.

But I'm not fooled by all of that, I know we are much bigger than the ghetto. And all rich black people are not snobs. I understand that. I've walk the very pavement most of my life that people see on the TV show The Wire. And I can tell you that I know people who came out of that to live very sucessful lives, without breaking the law. That message just don't reach many people though. Someone is going to have to get it out there, but they'll have to deal with all the BS that comes with it.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #35
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
I thought I could keep it light with you, but now I see I'm going to have to break it down. I originally said that I am on Bill's side on this. Just because he is saying something. Bill Cosby is not on my list of people that needs my protection! It's too many black people from the black community that's out there cooning, trying to say something slick and be something that's considered cool. They are too worried about losing fans, endorsements, movie deals, etc... We feed each other too much negative information.... we watch the news at night and see ourselves negatively just for reinforcement.
Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods could come out and do more for the black comunity, but they won't. That's because we'll be to busy talking about something they did or said in the past insted of listen to them... and God forbid if MJ or Tiger says "be more responsible", everybody and their mother would go public with some scathing gossip about either of the two. For us it's so easy to divide and so hard to unite. There's no leadership, no direction.... can't name one person that would satisfy, because...

Im wit you on that I agree with everything you just said.. this what Im talking about right here...

Only difference I have with you is that think people need to do what right anyway, no matter who hates it.... And Im not talking about giving a nasty speech on TV.. Im talking about doing real work in these communities with these people and teaching them to understand how to live better and be a more productive person, and doing it in a fashion that places you on their level..

it does work

They need to be shown how to be better..

I do this work for a living and I get kids and parents who say ignorant sh*t to me all the time.... They might say "why he talk so white?" or question me in other silly ways,

But so what? I cant let some people's criticisms or shots stop me from trying to be a positive force..

Quote:
"He dresses like a f*ggot"
"He aint from the hood"
"He probably is married to a white woman"
"His brother 'whathisname?' is doing life in the feds and he don't visit or send any money"
"He owe me money"
"His wife is a freak"

Again, All true indeed.. Some black people thrive on hate and drama and its a tired act to keep watching...Its the crab in a barrell theory..

Mindless cycle of sh*t talk..

Quote:
The government don't do that to us, we do it all on our own. Unity in the community won't come cheap.

But I'm not fooled by all of that, I know we are much bigger than the ghetto. And all rich black people are not snobs. I understand that. I've walk the very pavement most of my life that people see on the TV show The Wire. And I can tell you that I know people who came out of that to live very sucessful lives, without breaking the law. That message just don't reach many people though. Someone is going to have to get it out there, but they'll have to deal with all the BS that comes with it.

Man you are right again.....I hear you 100%

You said it right, there will be those who will talk sh*t on you.

cant let them stop the progress tho. They'll be the first ones to ask for assistance when they realize the other people are changing their ways..

Its mentality that needs to change......People who know better can help them with that tho.....

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 02-28-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #36
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

You know what else kills me?

Its the fact that some of the worst kids I have run into out here have the most brilliant minds Ive ever run across in my whole life... But they are soo corrupted and so focused on all the wrong things, that you will have an extremely tough time turning them around..

There are numerous problems

*Some kids (like spanish kids) have serious circumstances at home that keep them back(like parents who dont speak any english) to the point that they cant even attend school regularly or have a normal life that child is supposed to have

*Some kids are flat out too old and are about at the point where they just need to be the tough guy that they think they wanna be....I am blue from telling them they dont want it like that...they gotta learn the hard way

*There are children who are very receptive, but once they leave and go back home to their poisonous environment ....their parents (or whoever is doin it) undo all the hard work that people have been doing with their Child.

but the main thing is that I know that the truly bad apples are a minority in these communities... a very vocal minority.. most everyone else is either emulating the bad apples out pure boredom and a lack of any thing better to follow or they are silently doing their best to make something of themselves without any of the praise or life rewards that they deserve

I see terrible parents but I also see the good parents who work these multiple jobs and bust their asses just to provide for their kids (and some them still cant make it happen)..

its f*cked up but we dont have a choice as to what we are gonna do about it.....
Old 02-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #37
0ne50
Local High School Star

You said it brilliantly. It's the vocal minorty that captures the attention of the ones that are on the fence.

See people know me as a jokester. So when I speak on these issue the way I do, I can see people cracking up inside waiting for a punch line. Unfortunately I somehow always deliver, even when I don't intend to. I

I was that kid in class who would get in trouble just for raising his hand. Because, the whole would start to snicker, the teacher woul think I was trying to say something funny. So I know all to well what it's like to be conflicted. I'm cool with it.

What I always try to tell people is that it's always someone out there that's doing worse than you are. Get over yourself, and move on. Stick to your goals.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #38
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
You know what else kills me?

Its the fact that some of the worst kids I have run into out here have the most brilliant minds Ive ever run across in my whole life... But they are soo corrupted and so focused on all the wrong things, that you will have an extremely tough time turning them around..

There are numerous problems

*Some kids (like spanish kids) have serious circumstances at home that keep them back(like parents who dont speak any english) to the point that they cant even attend school regularly or have a normal life that child is supposed to have

*Some kids are flat out too old and are about at the point where they just need to be the tough guy that they think they wanna be....I am blue from telling them they dont want it like that...they gotta learn the hard way

*There are children who are very receptive, but once they leave and go back home to their poisonous environment ....their parents (or whoever is doin it) undo all the hard work that people have been doing with their Child.

but the main thing is that I know that the truly bad apples are a minority in these communities... a very vocal minority.. most everyone else is either emulating the bad apples out pure boredom and a lack of any thing better to follow or they are silently doing their best to make something of themselves without any of the praise or life rewards that they deserve

I see terrible parents but I also see the good parents who work these multiple jobs and bust their asses just to provide for their kids (and some them still cant make it happen)..

its f*cked up but we dont have a choice as to what we are gonna do about it.....

Man, Rasheed1 you were BRILLIANT throughout this thread. Freaking awesome stuff. I applaud you.

Did you hear when Bill Cosby said he doesn't consider himself a "leader" or civil rights leader? I think he is sellign himself short. He could be doing so much more.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #39
mid80sjordan
High School JV MVP

i don't appreciate how so many people think poor = black and rich = white

it's not like that
mid80sjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: