Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-13-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Cool is considered somewhat coolCool is considered somewhat cool
Default Summary Of What Jim Buss Said The Other Day

I know there was a lot of summarys and threads made about this. But here is an article that breaks down what he said and how he feels. This is also for those who didnt hear the interview or didnt get a complete summary of what he said. Also this is clear and better to understand.

Quote:
Jim Buss: Give us until May 22

Jim Buss gave a great interview on AM 570 the other day. His message: I'm as frustrated as you guys, but hang tight until after the Lottery is done on May 22.

``May 22 is a big date. A lot of teams will make trades after that date,'' he said. `` Before that, to analyze what the Lakers are doing is premature ... after that, yes, we should be making some decisions.

``You just have to wait for certian dates to come. I'm impatient. I don't know what to do with myself up until the times that teams are willing to make deals, but teams aren't willing to make deals until they find out where they are going to draft.''

Buss also tried to clear up a few issues.

1. His relationship with Jerry West and whether his increasing power within the organization precipitated West's departure: ``There's no way we had a problem of my authority increasing. ... it had nothing to do it. ...I can't tell you how comfortable Jerry and I were working together.'' He later added that, ``If Jerry decides he wants to come back, I'm sure my father, myself and Mitch (Kupchak) would have to consider that.''

2. Andrew Bynum's status on the protected list: ``I don't know where the idea that Bynum was protected by me came from. When you're talking about adding another all-star, another MVP of the league and I'm going protect bynum for that, there's no way. ...We'll use an example of kevin garnett. If that's a deal breaker (for Minnesota), then we did a great job of drafting him at 10, didn't we.''

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #2
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Summary Of What Jim Buss Said The Other Day

Quote:
``May 22 is a big date. A lot of teams will make trades after that date,'' he said. `` Before that, to analyze what the Lakers are doing is premature ... after that, yes, we should be making some decisions.

How poorly worded is that? What, are they going to make some major announcements on May 22nd? Um, no, not at all.... Geez! He's best served keeping his mouth shut until he actually has something to say.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

lmao what does "give us until May 22nd" mean? Is he for sure going to make a move on May 22nd? I think what he mean was "nothing will happen before May 22nd".
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
How poorly worded is that? What, are they going to make some major announcements on May 22nd? Um, no, not at all.... Geez! He's best served keeping his mouth shut until he actually has something to say.

I knew my main man mike would respond

No but seriously your right, if no one is talking about trades till that day then how is a major announcement going to be made? It dont make any sense.

Unless they have something up there sleeve. But I have one reason to believe Jim. And that is him and his dad are close and everything goes through his dad. So I kind of believe him but I am not getting my hopes up at all. I have a tiny bit of hope, but no more than that. Hopefully they will prove us all wrong.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'd make an avatar bet that he has "nothing" up his sleeve that will happen on May 22nd. Sizzle is probably right... he probably meant nothing will begin happening until then, which is true. If so, chalk it up to inexperience and the fact that this guy belongs in horse racing, not hoop.

Thanks for posting the article Cool!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
lmao what does "give us until May 22nd" mean? Is he for sure going to make a move on May 22nd? I think what he mean was "nothing will happen before May 22nd".

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I'd make an avatar bet that he has "nothing" up his sleeve that will happen on May 22nd. Sizzle is probably right... he probably meant nothing will begin happening until then, which is true. If so, chalk it up to inexperience and the fact that this guy belongs in horse racing, not hoop.

Thanks for posting the article Cool!

Anytime man

Also you guys are totally right cause he said this,

Quote:
after that(May 22nd the Draft Lottery), yes, we should be making some decisions.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far

he made it sound like they can do nothing until the 22nd. What? are they twiddling their thumbs until then. Just because trades don't get made until thereafter...doesn't mean you can't have very detailed conversations...hash thru "what-if" scenarios. Perhaps they just sit around reading our ISH posts...Mitch says, "Man, that Cool guy sure has some good ideas"
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:45 PM   #8
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurple
he made it sound like they can do nothing until the 22nd. What? are they twiddling their thumbs until then. Just because trades don't get made until thereafter...doesn't mean you can't have very detailed conversations...hash thru "what-if" scenarios. Perhaps they just sit around reading our ISH posts...Mitch says, "Man, that Cool guy sure has some good ideas"

He does doesnt he

But seriously I agree with you. They could be coming up with plan A, B, OR C, of what they could do this offseason. Try to have an outlook or a guideline which they will go by and have back up plans if one of them doesnt work. Just try to be realistic and logical about every possibility you have. An always explore every option dont just pull the trigger on a trade because it looks good. Look at the possible effects of it and the pros an cons of it.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #9
Devientz
High school junior varsity star

Devientz has decent reputation

Based off what this guy said in the article that was posted, maybe this could mean theyre going after Gasol...

Quote:
The Lakers need to see how the draft lottery unfolds on May 22nd. If the Grizzlies get the first or second pick would they taken Greg Oden, eliminating the need for Bynum?

Or would they take Kevin Durant and then trade for Bynum, landing the second brightest center prospect in the league?
Devientz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:06 AM   #10
KOBEinSD24
I hit open 5-footers

KOBEinSD24 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
2. Andrew Bynum's status on the protected list: ``I don't know where the idea that Bynum was protected by me came from. When you're talking about adding another all-star, another MVP of the league and I'm going protect bynum for that, there's no way. ...We'll use an example of kevin garnett. If that's a deal breaker (for Minnesota), then we did a great job of drafting him at 10, didn't we.''

is he sayin that bynum is a future all-star or tradin him for KG?
KOBEinSD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:06 AM   #11
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devientz
Based off what this guy said in the article that was posted, maybe this could mean theyre going after Gasol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOBEinSD24
is he sayin that bynum is a future all-star or tradin him for KG?

You guys bring up great points, way to break down the article. I think the Lakers are going to explore there options and see what happens in the lottery like they said. So all of us will have to sit tight and see what happens in the lottery.

Last edited by Cool : 05-14-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #12
KOBEinSD24
I hit open 5-footers

KOBEinSD24 has an OK reputation so far

on what Cool is sayin

thanks
but the lakers are gettin a pick in the low to mid twenties so scouting is going to be somewhat easy because a lot of college players are outshadowed by oden and algdrige so i think kareem, kobe and phil should do the scoutin because again it is basicly phil and kobe's team and kareem can find a good big man
KOBEinSD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 AM   #13
netdoc
High School Varsity 6th Man

netdoc has an OK reputation so far

Buss dropped the May 22nd date because teams know where their draft status is. That's when teams would be more open to trades that involve draft picks and their own players.

Say Memphis lands at number 3 or 4. You know they aren't going to land Oden or Durant, so would they take Bynum + filler + L.A.'s draft choice for Gasol? (that's an example by the way).

The lottery teams is what he's looking at now. Mitch doesn't want that draft choice to bring in another greenhorn on the roster. He'll trade that and whomever else to get the player he wants.

Have faith.
netdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: