Decent playground baller

Default Re: Enough with this Finals Record Crap

Adam Morrison 2/2

2/5.

/thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers2877
    It absolutely matters when discussing and comparing legacies
    But really, it shouldn't. The OP is right, it's better to get as far as you can than lose earlier in the playoffs.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Actually, nope.. not at all.

Besides fans using the "Jordan 6/6", I've literally never heard finals record brought up... I don't know what Wilt's, Kareem's, Magic's is... I could think of it based on their appearances, but all I know right now is their amount of titles, which is the one thing people seem to care about.

Nobody has tried to explain to me "Russell is GOAT because he's 11/12"... No, "Russell is the greatest, he's won 11 titles!" .. THAT, more likely.
    In order for Russel to have his 11 rings but match brans finals winning % he'd have to have lost in the Finals 16 more times.

2/5.

Quote Originally Posted by jrong
    The problem is that LeBron has only played well in three of five Finals, and in one of the cases in which he underperformed, a very strong case can be made that he was responsible for the team's defeat.

So like it or not, since the subtext here is obviously LeBron's place in the GOAT discussion, Finals records and records of performance matter. A lot.

I will give LeBron this. By going back to the Cavs, he's given himself a pathway to best ever status. If he stayed in Miami, he would have been dogged by the ""had to form a superstar team" until the end of his career (unless he really did "not 7... not 8")

If he establishes a dynasty in Cleveland, now he's in the discussion.
    This. I think how well a player performs in the Finals is all that matters. LeBron deserves all the criticism he gets for his horrendous performance in the 2011 Finals. But for example, it's complete bullshit Kobe gets a boost to his legacy for his mediocre play in the 2000 Finals just because Shaq had an all time great performance and the Lakers won

Quote Originally Posted by DaSeba5
    LeBron stans are tired of hearing about 2/5, we would be tired of hearing about 5/5 from them. So it's fair game. And I didn't say you. I was speaking in general. However, I do believe it's better to lose in the Finals than not make it at all.
    What fantasy world are you talking about? This isn't reality... Reality is folks running around with their cute "2/5".. I don't know how useful it is talking about some hypothetical scenario where LeBron is 5/5 and what his fans might do in such situation.

[COLOR="Magenta"]this argument Is only used by LB STANS [/COLOR]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    never seen a german stan Bron so hard
    you havent seen me yet

Absolutely nobody cares that Magic is 5/9. It's not used against him. Maybe because Jordan came after Magic, so Magic didn't have to contend with being compared to him.

I don't know, I just thought we'd be cool by now
    We're cool. Just think you should chill with the Lebron stanning for a bit, you're better than that. Let the 2/5 idiots have their fun, it's the offseason. Lebron's gonna tear it up next year with the Cavs, save it for then.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Yes, being 1/2 in the Finals is better than being 1/1.

Instead of getting mad at anyone who thinks being 1/1 would be better than getting there twice and losing one of them, just use it as a filter on one's use of logic. It will allow u to see who u can ignore.

If someone thinks the 1/1 is seriously better, his opinion on sports loses credibility.

What fantasy world are you talking about? This isn't reality... Reality is folks running around with their cute "2/5".. I don't know how useful it is talking about some hypothetical scenario where LeBron is 5/5 and what his fans might do in such situation.
    Ok. If he's a player that's supposed to be MJ's competition for GOAT, it's fair game. He's 2/5. Jordan is 6/6. And I don't dislike LeBron, but people can say 2/5. Now if they are trolling and that's all they say that's another story.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    I'd rather not get to the Finals (or Super Bowl/World Series/Stanley Cup Finals, etc.) than to get there and lose. All that work, just to fall short.
    Wow. So you would rather finish 6th in the Indy 500 than 2nd?

The other thing about "2/5" is it ignores context. LeBron lost to teams with a heavy foreign influence. Most of the 2014 Spurs' rotation was foreign; the 1994 and 1984 Spurs did not have a single foreign player. Who is to say he would not have fared better if he only faced competition from one country in past eras?

He's 2/5. Jordan is 6/6.
    Losing seasons: MJ 5, LJ 1 (out of high school)
    First round losses: MJ 3, LJ 0
    First round sweeps: MJ 2, LJ 0
    ECF losses: MJ 2, LJ 1
    Times 7th or 8th seed: MJ 2*, LJ 0

LJ has a better record prior to the Finals...

*Excluding 86'
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 07-12-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aboss4real24
    What kind of New Yorker would rep Suge?

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aboss4real24
    Laker fans don't know that by saying 2/5, they are throwing Jerry West under the bus

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    Wow. So you would rather finish 6th in the Indy 500 than 2nd?

The other thing about "2/5" is it ignores context. LeBron lost to teams with a heavy foreign influence. Most of the 2014 Spurs' rotation was foreign; the 1994 and 1984 Spurs did not have a single foreign player. Who is to say he would not have fared better if he only faced competition from one country in past eras?

Losing seasons: MJ 5, LJ 1
    First round losses: MJ 3, LJ 0
    ECF losses: MJ 2, LJ 1

LJ has a better record prior to the Finals...
    I know, people knock LeBron for being a "beta" and "not being competitive enough", but that's one of the most cowardly, noncompetitive stances I've ever seen. I'd always rather make the championship game and risk a loss than not be there at all