Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Did Wilt Chamberlain really beat NFL legend Jim Brown in a foot race?

Legend has told of this but I was wondering any older posters know if this true? Also that he could bench press 550 - 600 lbs lifting weights with Arnold Schwarzenneger (sp?). Thanks.

Default Re: Did Wilt Chamberlain really beat NFL legend Jim Brown in a foot race?

Quote Originally Posted by Corky McBiff
    Wilt is a freak. I also heard that he beat a horse in a race as well.
    This may be exaggeration but based on his multi sport excellence, strength, size, jumping ability, I think he may be the most gifted athlete in any major sport history. Argable of course with Deion, young MJ, LeBron, Jim Brown, etc...

Default Re: Did Wilt Chamberlain really beat NFL legend Jim Brown in a foot race?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pippen
    Legend has told of this but I was wondering any older posters know if this true? Also that he could bench press 550 - 600 lbs lifting weights with Arnold Schwarzenneger (sp?). Thanks.
    Wilt was rumored to press 500 pounds on the set of Conan with Arnold, never heard the Jim Brown story though he did beat Al Attles in footraces who was believed to be the fastest guy on the Warriors.

*edit* I did a search for the Jim Brown thing and found this

Chamberlain loved gossip and enjoyed the tales that Huey brought back to his hilltop home. After a night with Jim Brown, the great football player, Huey beat him in a foot-race. Brown never invited Huey to another party. Chamberlain loved that story, which fed into his own competitiveness; he would cheat at board games.
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all

Huey is Lynda Huey who was a sprinter for San Jose State back in the day.
    Last edited by sunsfan1357; 02-05-2009 at 04:09 AM.

God white people make horrible athletes. I hate my slow-twitch muscles.

I usually hit open layups Mr. Bryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Corky McBiff
    I met and chatted with Wilt Chamberlain back in 1994 as he was riding his bicycle through Marina Del Rey, CA. He credited LEMONS to his strength, stamina and great health. He said that he drinks 2 gallons of fresh-squeezed lemonade everyday (picked from a lemon tree in his backyard).

Probably the best player to ever play in the NBA.

Odomize
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

If Wilt ran today, he would've beat my Dodge Durango in the freeway.

I usually hit open layups

Wilt wasnt benching anywhere near 500 pounds, that myth needs to die a death right now.

Odomize

Quote Originally Posted by db23
    Wilt wasnt benching anywhere near 500 pounds, that myth needs to die a death right now.
    I agree...he was benching 700 pounds

Didn't Wilt use to unscrew nuts with his teeth?

National High School Star FindingTim's Avatar

my dad grew up in Hermosa Beach and said he used to see Wilt playing volleyball on the strand; said he was a beast (granted, he was 7 feet tall)

by the way, i am drinking a ton of lemonade from now on.
    Last edited by FindingTim; 02-05-2009 at 11:33 PM.

I had a friend of my father's tell me he saw Chamberlain wrestle a great white shark to the beach shore near Miami. The shark weighed 901 pounds. So it was fairly small for a great white. If he played today in the NBA he'd make Shaq look like Shawn Bradley.

Here's a picture of him before he ran out to sea to capture the small beast.
    Last edited by Meticode; 02-05-2009 at 04:50 AM.

National High School Star FindingTim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I had a friend of my father's tell me he saw Chamberlain wrestle a great white shark to the beach shore near Miami. The shark weighed 492 pounds.

that is total BS. It was a tiger shark.

College superstar

Wilt Chamberlain once got into a knife fight. The knife lost.

but can he beat chuck norris?

-primetime-

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pippen
    No way to the Jim Brown race...I would be completely shocked if that was true...

Brown was rumored to have an amazing combo of size and speed like Bo Jackson...

supposedly he was very fast...

the bench press thing sounds hard to believe as well...since it is harder for tall people to lift than short people....

Shaq can only bench 450 lbs...

http://www.criticalbench.com/shaq-bench-press.htm

I serioulsy doubt that Wilt had more upper body strength than Shaq...

where are these rumore coming from???....his book where he nailed half the women in the country???