Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Court Vision
#KnicksTape

Default Kyrie Irving Declares for the Draft

Quote:
DURHAM, N.C. – Duke freshman guard Kyrie Irving will enter the 2011 NBA Draft with plans to hire an agent, head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced Wednesday. The 2011 NBA Draft will be held on June 23 in New York City and Irving is expected to be among the top picks in the draft.

“Our whole program is overjoyed with having Kyrie here for one year and that he has the chance now to pursue a dream of being a high draft pick and a great player in the NBA,” said Krzyzewski. “We are totally supportive of Kyrie, his family and his decision. We look forward to continuing to work with him during the upcoming months leading to his entry into the NBA and afterwards while he is an NBA player. He is a great young man, a terrific student, and a truly amazing representative for our program and for Duke. We love him and are very happy for him and his family.”

Irving, a 6-2 guard from West Orange, N.J., played in just 11 games this season, sitting out 26 contests with a toe injury on his right foot. He averaged 17.5 points, 3.4 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game while shooting .529 (55-of-104) from the field, .462 (18-of-39) from behind the three-point line and .901 (64-of-71) from the free throw line. Irving started the first eight games of the year, averaging 17.4 points, 3.8 rebounds and 5.1 assists per game during that time frame. He returned to action in the NCAA Tournament and averaged 17.7 points, 2.3 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game in Duke’s three outings.

“I want to thank the entire staff at Duke, especially the coaches,” said Irving. “It was a great experience playing for Coach K. He taught me a lot about the game. Even when I was hurt, I learned a lot. Also a special thanks goes to the medical staff for getting me back on the court for the NCAA Tournament and my teammates for sticking with me throughout the entire year. Duke offered me an experience I could never have imagined.”

He scored a game-high 31 points to go with six rebounds, four assists, two blocks and two steals against No. 6 Michigan State in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. It was just the fourth time in school history a freshman scored 30 or more in a game. He was selected the CBE Classic MVP after averaging 14.5 points, 4.0 rebounds, 6.0 assists and 1.5 steals in the four games. He had 17 points, five rebounds, six assists and two steals in the finals against No. 4 Kansas State. Irving also dished out nine assists against both Princeton and Colgate. In the NCAA Tournament, he scored team highs of 14 points against Hampton and 28 points against Arizona in the Sweet 16.

“This was a special year for me. I love everything about Duke and I’m going to miss it,” added Irving. ”Duke has a special place in my heart. Even though I’m leaving this year, Duke will always be in my mind and my heart. I’m going to miss putting on that No. 1 jersey.”

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
Court Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Kyrie Irving Declares for the Draft

C'mon Barnes, make it official soon, and announce you're returning.

Irving plays 11 games and says see ya later. can't say I'm surprised nor is it a bad decision, though, since he's got a very good shot of going #1 overall.

Still, if you're a UNC fan this has been a great day. Henson and Zeller announce they are coming back and Irving makes it official that he's gone. Even without Barnes returning UNC will have the best frontcourt in America and Duke is losing their three best players.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

It's a weak draft. I expect anyone with any notoriety to declare.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
It's a weak draft. I expect anyone with any notoriety to declare.

How does the draft date coincide with the expiration of the CBA?
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
LilBTheBasedGod

I wonder if Duke fans will even acknowledge him or respect him?
Old 04-12-2011, 03:01 AM   #6
rosonviyavong
Raps, Jazz, and UCONN

Barnes needs to declare. I don't see the point in him staying unless he really loves pplaying college ball and wants to win a title that bad plus he probably lives in a wealthy or stable family that can support him still for the next year so he won't be forced to enter the draft.
rosonviyavong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosonviyavong
Barnes needs to declare. I don't see the point in him staying unless he really loves pplaying college ball and wants to win a title that bad plus he probably lives in a wealthy or stable family that can support him still for the next year so he won't be forced to enter the draft.

There isn't really any point in Sullinger and Perry Jones staying, but they are doing so. Barnes still has some things in his game that could use some work before he goes to the NBA. He might be a top 3-5 pick but it's not like his game is completely NBA ready right now.

Last edited by KG215 : 04-12-2011 at 05:42 PM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Court Vision
#KnicksTape

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBTheBasedGod
I wonder if Duke fans will even acknowledge him or respect him?

Why would they not?

I'm not entirely sure about the Duke fan base, but they are a smart bunch, and I'm sure they understand that if you have a chance to be the #1 player taken, you don't miss that opportunity.
Court Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Vision
Why would they not?

I'm not entirely sure about the Duke fan base, but they are a smart bunch, and I'm sure they understand that if you have a chance to be the #1 player taken, you don't miss that opportunity.

As a Duke fan, the only one that still stings a little bit to me was having Josh McRoberts leave early. This one stings a bit too because we barely got to see the kid play, but we obviously recognize how special a talent he was. I don't fault him, I just wish he would have seen that another year in school could have netted them another championship run.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
ChandlerParsons
38th pick to Rockets!!

Chandler Parsons for the best draft steal
ChandlerParsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosonviyavong

NBA isnt going anywhere. It will be here for years to come. Barnes is in no rush to get to teh NBA unless he is in debt and owes millions. With that in mind he can focus on developing his game more, trying to a national title (few can say they won it) and end the season as the #1 pick in the draft. That in itself is a goal for anyone who returns as well. Barnes isnt going to be the #1 pick in 2011. But 2012 he can atleast position himself to make that possible. Wont be easy, not saying that. But its another thing not only Barnes but Sullinger, Jones could try for. He doesnt need to declare.

Unless his family is knee deep in bills and a sibling has a medical condition where money is needed to help. Something along those lines, then a player needs to declare to take care of family. Otherwise...
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: