Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Smokee
Banned

Default The Greatness of this years NFL season

Preseason SuperBowl favorites. Most controversial team in the NFL. The Dallas Cowboys choke and fail to make the playoffs, who would've thought?

Early season Jets get Favre. Favre is playing great and hailed as the saviour of the Jets. Jets let Pennington go to make space. Pennington signs with the Dolphins. Dolphins look like the worst team in the NFL, definite rebuilding year. Dolphins manage to fly under the radar winning games late in the season, and beats Favre and the Jets for a playoff bid. You couldn't write it much better

Early season the Ravens weren't considered a playoff team, let alone Superbowl one. They were supposed to have a huge weakness at QB. Rookie Flacco was supposed to learn from the bench. Both starting QB and backup get hurt forcing Flacco in and the rest is history. Ray Lewis is having a bounce back year, Ed Reed is looking like one of the best ever to play his position. Raven's are looking really good right about now

finish this later...
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
-primetime-

Default Re: The Greatness of this years NFL season

the term "choke" is overused to death as of late...

-Dallas
-Denver
-Tampa
-Jets
-Colts

list of teams considered massive chokers this year...apparently all of them should have won the Super Bowl...

guess you could add the Lions on that list for choking away their chance to win a single game...
Old 01-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

How exactly are the Colts considered massive chokers? They made the playoffs and lost to a team that's playing great ball in their backyard. Sure, they had chances to win the game but it basically came down to the coin flip.

Cowboys choked. Colts just lost.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
How exactly are the Colts considered massive chokers? They made the playoffs and lost to a team that's playing great ball in their backyard. Sure, they had chances to win the game but it basically came down to the coin flip.

Cowboys choked. Colts just lost.
I don't think either team choked...

I am saying that word is overused...

I read "Peyton choked again" like 20 times yesterday...

as far as Dallas...I won't get into it but lets just say they had much bigger issues this year than "choking"...

every team in the NFL goes into the year with playoff hopes...so in theory every team that missed the playoffs didn't play to their expectations and "choked'...

5 years ago, the term "choke" wa not used even 1/10th as much as it is today...

in all sports...not just the NFL

you could probably point to 90% of the major athletes with 5 years under thier belt and at some point in time they "choked"...

btw...the Colts were much closer to winning than Dallas was...
Old 01-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

The Cowboys choked because they had chance after chance to win and get in the playoffs and put up terrible performances in which their quarterback played well below expectations by throwing interceptions and losing fumbles and their defense also failed to live up to expectations. That's choking. They didn't lose any of those games in overtime in which they could have won the game had the coin toss went the other way....

Peyton played a good game. He didn't turn the ball over and he only took one sack I believe. How, exactly, can you expect to score points when the opposing punter puts you pinned inside your five yard line consistently?

You can't win them all. Those people who say Peyton, or the Colts choked really don't know what they are talking about. Everyone knew they couldn't run the ball and they couldn't stop the run. Those things applied in this game and in addition to the great play of SD's punter and the coin flip, it's why they lost.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #6
-primetime-

Quote:
The Cowboys choked because they had chance after chance to win and get in the playoffs and put up terrible performances in which their quarterback played well below expectations by throwing interceptions and losing fumbles and their defense also failed to live up to expectations. That's choking. They didn't lose any of those games in overtime in which they could have won the game had the coin toss went the other way....

Peyton played a good game. He didn't turn the ball over and he only took one sack I believe. How, exactly, can you expect to score points when the opposing punter puts you pinned inside your five yard line consistently?

You can't win them all. Those people who say Peyton, or the Colts choked really don't know what they are talking about. Everyone knew they couldn't run the ball and they couldn't stop the run. Those things applied in this game and in addition to the great play of SD's punter and the coin flip, it's why they lost.
first off...it doesn't matter HOW the Cowboys lose...no matter what the cirumstances are it will be labeled a choke job...

I can see a clear difference between Romo with and without a broken finger...and and clear difference between Barber with and without a dislocated toe...and no felix Jones, or Roy Williams, or a clueless Proctor that can't play o-line to for crap...

second...in the end, both Dallas and the Colts had Super Bowl hopes...both teams failed...so it really doesn't matter what story anyone puts behind it...neither of us got to where we wanted to be.

you are missing my point of the term "choke" being overused here and going straight into a Dallas vs. Colts comparison.

I am just trying to point out how this word is being thrown around left and right these days...it wasn't like that 5 years ago.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Tony looked fine against Seattle & the 9'ers. His poor play had more to do with poor decision making, ball security (those fumbles were coming out broken pinky or not) and undecisiveness than anything.

Anyways... I agree with your statement of the word choke being thrown around too much. However, it does apply to the Cowboys. This is one case where that term being used is qualified.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
-primetime-

Quote:
Tony looked fine against Seattle & the 9'ers. His poor play had more to do with poor decision making, ball security (those fumbles were coming out broken pinky or not) and undecisiveness than anything.

Anyways... I agree with your statement of the word choke being thrown around too much. However, it does apply to the Cowboys. This is one case where that term being used is qualified.
and what is it that makes Dallas chokers and not the Colts again???

we had more chances???

doesn't work...

usless you want to tell me that the last two playoff loses against Seattle and the Giants weren't choke jobs...

we went 13-3 last year...AND CHOKED

you went 11-5 this year, with high expectations, lost to an 8-8 team...AND YOU ARE TRYING TO TELL ME THAT IT DOESN'T COUNT AS A CHOKE LIKE DALLAS THE PAST TWO YEARS!?!?!?!?!

I could point out tons a little things your team "should" have done in the same way you could mine...
Old 01-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
HelterSkelter
OBJECTIVE

Colts just lost, they didn't even have ball possession in OT.

that rule should be changed. NFL's OT should be like in NBA and NHL. no stoppin until theres a winner.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:40 AM   #10
Smokee
Banned

Dallas didn't make the playoffs despite being the favorites coming into this year. No way anyone would've even thought this halfway through the season. Even 3/4's. Even up until the last game. It doesn't help that they were on Hard Knocks so a lot of people followed them and they're expectations which was SuperBowl. I mean losing in the playoffs is fine but not even getting in?

If they get Shanahan tho, i think its perfect timing. I'd take a excuse to fire Phillips after a year like this perfectly timed to hire Shanahan. Its worth it if it happens.

Winner of Titans vs Ravens is going to win the Super Bowl
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:48 AM   #11
tsforthrees
there, there

i think choking can only be used in a clutch situation or a do or die game if someone really messes up badly. examples: tony romo's botched field goal hold 2 years ago=choke. cowboys losing 44-6 and not showing up to play in a must win game=choke.

broncos losing last four, including 52-21 to chargers last game of the season=choke.

tampa bay buccaneers=beat oakland at home, make it to the playoffs. nope, can't stop michael bush of all people. choke.

colts losing to chargers? not choke. chargers were hot, it was a well fought game.

miami flaming out in the playoffs against baltimore=not choke. they had a great season and were just overmatched by baltimore's defense. they maxed out their potential.
tsforthrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:06 AM   #12
starface
Banned

yeah but i wouldnt really count the colts choking as being something that made this NFL season unique, because really thats one of the most perennially reliable things in the league. its like the broncos having a good running game or TO being at odds with a quarterback. you're most surprised when they DONT happen.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

The greatest thing of the 2008 NFL season…

ROFL that the NFL has a franchise like this in its league

Choke?
how about 16 games of choking
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

I really can't remember anyone hyping up Indy as a contender in the preseason, I remember a lot more naysayers saying they'd struggle to 10 wins than anything (and that Jax was the class of the AFC South). You can't choke when you just aren't that good of a team. The window's closing quickly, if they don't address the front 7 it'll be more of the same next season.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
ItsMillerTime
Born Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by starface
yeah but i wouldnt really count the colts choking as being something that made this NFL season unique, because really thats one of the most perennially reliable things in the league. its like the broncos having a good running game or TO being at odds with a quarterback. you're most surprised when they DONT happen.

Every year the Colts choke? GTFO. '06 Superbowl ring any bells?? And since when is your favorite team a legit contender year after year after year after year....
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: