Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Kobe4life
Banned

Default Odom, Bynum wants to remain as a Laker

Quote:
If the Lakers are going to make a blockbuster trade this summer, they most likely will have to package 19-year-old Andrew Bynum's potential in one offer or 27-year-old Lamar Odom's potential All-Star skills in another. Or it could take both.

However, there is no indication the Lakers are prepared to give up Bynum, in whom Lakers vice president Jim Buss passionately believes. And Lakers coach Phil Jackson said Odom's powerhouse game in the playoff finale despite injuries "left us thinking what a great player he is and how valuable he is to our team."

Odom said he "definitely" hopes to stay, saying: "This is a team I want to retire with." And after the death of his infant son last summer and then injuries this season, Odom expects next season could be his breakthrough.

"When I do come back in shape and physically fit and focused, I don't think there should be anything that's going to stop me," he said.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak asked Odom on Friday how to reconcile his 15.8-point career average with his 33-point playoff finale, prompting Odom to say later: "I know they want me to score. So I might be catching the ball a little closer to the basket."

Bynum "maybe" could score 12-14 points per game next season, Jackson said. He said the Lakers will monitor Bynum's workouts all summer, though Bynum said he will spend time taking college classes in math and English.

"We are going to have great input in what he does this summer and watch him carefully and hope his development increases as much as it did from Year 1 to Year 2," Jackson said.

Yet when Jackson spoke of the need for an energetic, defensive-minded big man for next season, he complained about Kwame Brown's injury problems but never mentioned Bynum's potential. Bynum said he will try to address deficiencies in his core strength and lower-body strength to improve his speed and explosiveness.

"I want to be an All-Star within four years (in the NBA)," he said, referring to the 2008-09 season.

Asked about trade talk, Bynum said: "It's good to know I'm wanted by other teams. It means I'm doing something right."

Asked about new faces perhaps coming to the team, Bynum said: "I have no idea what's going to happen. I just hope to see myface on the team next year."

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1681700.php
Kobe4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
m1sterb
I rule the local playground

Default Re: Odom, Bynum wants to remain as a Laker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe4life

Can't wait to watch Bynum again at the pyramid during the summer. He and Farmar have no reason not to tear it up.
m1sterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Cool
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1sterb
Can't wait to watch Bynum again at the pyramid during the summer. He and Farmar have no reason not to tear it up.

Sorry to break it to you but read this,

Quote:
Leaving LBC for Vegas

The Lakers had played in the Long Beach Summer Pro League for 37 years, but they've decided to switch to the Las Vegas summer league that runs July 6 to 15 at Cox Pavilion and Thomas & Mack Center.

The Lakers like that there are 21 NBA teams in Vegas. Conversely, there were only four at the Pyramid last summer.

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/...4.40518ac.html
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
m1sterb
I rule the local playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool
Sorry to break it to you but read this,

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/...4.40518ac.html

That is absolute crap. Damn! At least I don't go waiting for something thats not gonna happen. Thanks Cool.
m1sterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
hotsizzle
Superstar

Quote:
Odom said he "definitely" hopes to stay, saying: "This is a team I want to retire with." And after the death of his infant son last summer and then injuries this season, Odom expects next season could be his breakthrough.

"When I do come back in shape and physically fit and focused, I don't think there should be anything that's going to stop me," he said.

Good to hear but you could be on your way out Lamar. sorry
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
KINGofTHEcourt
Banned

With the dough they're going to be racking in (can't wait to see Bynum's extension), i'd want to be a Laker forever too. Odom should stay, but Bynum is a crappy player and isn't close to being a starting caliber center. If they must keep Bynum then Kareem isn't the one to work with him. He isn't aggressive enough or athletic enough to play like Kareem. Patrick Ewing should be brought in to work with him, since he did wonders for Yao in Houston.
KINGofTHEcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: