Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation
Default bowflex strength training?

about me:
15 y/o
185lbs
6'3"

my dad bought a bowflex about 4 or so years ago. it usually just sat in the basement collecting dust, i could not use it because he said i was too young. i've been lifting at school multiple times before, but i thought why go to school when i have stuff at home?

inside of the little booklet that came with the bowflex is a little "strength training" workout. the workout is 3 times a week. day one focuses on chest/shoulders, day two focuses on back/arms, day three focuses on legs/trunk.

each workout is supposed to take 45min-1hr long including 1-2min breaks between each set.

day one:
bench press 3-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
chest fly 3-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
seated shoulder press 3-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
standing lateral shoulder press 3-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
rear deltoid rows 3-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
shoulder shrug 3-4 sets, 5-8 reps.

day two:
barbell bent over row 3-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
wide pull-downs 3-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
standing biceps curl 2-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
reverse grip barbell curl 2-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
seated triceps extension 2-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
standing triceps push-down 2-4 sets, 5-8 reps.

day three:
squat 2-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
lying prone leg curl 2-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
seated leg curl 2-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
seated calf raise 2-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
lower back extension 2-4 sets, 5-8 reps.
seated resisted ab crunch 2-4 sets, 5-8 reps.

do you think this is too much for a 15 y/o? i started yesterday and the workout got me sweating near the end and i was somewhat sore today.

and since i don't want to feel like i'm doing nothing on tuesdays, thursdays, and the weekend, what should i do then?

my goal is to gain muscle and trim a little fat. i wanna be in shape for football for next fall.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: bowflex strength training?

It is better than nothing, but not the best.

Sinc ethe other guy in the other thread and I disagreed on machine training, I will retract some of my disagreement here and say since you have it, use it.

The workout posted is a basic bodybuilding workout....nto really what you want, but at least it is a plan. I would say you would be better off training legs with bodyweighted stuff such as squats, lunges, striaght leg deads, glute bridges, jumps, etc...you seem to be already pretty big for a 15 year old, not sure why gaining wieght is a goal, let it be a by-product. work hard and explosive and let the muscle take care of itself.

The other days can be focused stretching on trouble areas, sprinting, a little plyos, recovery work.

Agian, hard to really put down what you exactly need over th internet.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
Geandily
Local High School Star

Geandily has an OK reputation so far

Yeah I agree already pretty big for a 15 year old, but as Prints said before me it looks more like something a bodybuilder would run than what a basketball player would run.

You need more cardio to build stamina, leg flexibility, strength and coordination, not to mention cut down on some fat. Lots of running, suicides and jumprope would be good for this.

Also, do some ballhandling drills like the ones Pistol Pete had in his old instructional videos, and practice shooting!

You also need more stretching to improve flexibility and prevent injury.

Remember that more reps with lighter weights= leaner, more flexible and efficent muscles. Less reps with heavier weights=more explosive power but with less efficiency. As a basketball player you probably want to do 12 reps each set with lighter weights.

As for the amount of sets, its safe to do them until your form starts to degrade at which point you should stop.

I agree with prints though, freeweights and bodyweight workouts are better than using a machine as it gives you a more "functional" workout, a machine doesn't improve your balance and coordination, however freeweights do. But just like he said, if you have a machine and it motivates you to work out, use it.

But as a player the main things you should be working on are stamina, coordination, ballhandling and shooting skills and basketball IQ. After your workouts REMEMBER TO STRETCH!! I can't stress this enough, working out without stretching is like making bread without kneading the dough, and remember to keep yourself hydrated, also remember to let your muscles rest at least one day before working the same muscle group again.

Oh, a few other things, instead of doing back/shoulders one day and doing legs/abs the next, do lighter workouts on more muscle groups every other day, this will improve stamina and will also help you to be well rested when it's game time because you hadn't done a workout the day before.

The next time you work the same muscle group do a different type of workout, for example, for your chest, do pushups one day and flies the next, things like that. Over time your muscles become used to a certain motion and it becomes harder and harder to exhaust them, switching things up will increase the efficiency of your workouts.

Oh gawd I just now realized you were training for football, oh well, everything still applies, what position are you gonna play? You're really tall so I would guess either WR, QB or DE? With that height you could be a basketball forward! Anyhoo though, highschool players always try to "bulk up" which is stupid because then they have no stamina or coordination, remember that bigger muscles do not always equal more strength. If you go with a leaner build you will be faster, less injury prone, more coordinated and more likely to be noticed by scouts. You're already pretty big so size isn't a problem, now if you could add speed and agility to that you would be unstoppable.

Now I am in no way an expert and if you're going to get serious about this I would recommend getting a personal trainer.

Last edited by Geandily : 04-02-2008 at 02:53 AM.
Geandily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geandily
Yeah I agree already pretty big for a 15 year old, but as Prints said before me it looks more like something a bodybuilder would run than what a basketball player would run.

You need more cardio to build stamina, leg flexibility, strength and coordination, not to mention cut down on some fat. Lots of running, suicides and jumprope would be good for this.

Also, do some ballhandling drills like the ones Pistol Pete had in his old instructional videos, and practice shooting!

Remember that more reps with lighter weights= leaner, more flexible and efficent muscles. Less reps with heavier weights=more explosive power but with less efficiency. As a basketball player you probably want to do 12 reps each set with lighter weights.

As for the amount of sets, its safe to do them until your form starts to degrade at which point you should stop.

I agree with prints though, freeweights and bodyweight workouts are better than using a machine as it gives you a more "functional" workout, a machine doesn't improve your balance and coordination, however freeweights do. But just like he said, if you have a machine and it motivates you to work out, use it.

But as a player the main things you should be working on are stamina, coordination, ballhandling and shooting skills and basketball IQ. After your workouts REMEMBER TO STRETCH!! I can't stress this enough, working out without stretching is like making bread without kneading the dough, and remember to keep yourself hydrated, also remember to let your muscles rest at least one day before working the same muscle group again.

Oh, a few other things, instead of doing back/shoulders one day and doing legs/abs the next, do lighter workouts on more muscle groups every other day, this will improve stamina and will also help you to be well rested when it's game time because you hadn't done a workout the day before.

The next time you work the same muscle group do a different type of workout, for example, for your chest, do pushups one day and flies the next, things like that. Over time your muscles become used to a certain motion and it becomes harder and harder to exhaust them, switching things up will increase the efficiency of your workouts.

Oh gawd I just now realized you were training for football, oh well, everything still applies, what position are you gonna play? You're really tall so I would guess either WR, QB or DE? With that height you could be a basketball forward! Anyhoo though, highschool players always try to "bulk up" which is stupid because then they have no stamina or coordination, remember that bigger muscles do not always equal more strength. If you go with a leaner build you will be faster, less injury prone, more coordinated and more likely to be noticed by scouts. You're already pretty big so size isn't a problem, now if you could add speed and agility to that you would be unstoppable.

Now I am in no way an expert and if you're going to get serious about this I would recommend getting a personal trainer.
yes, i'm training for football. i hope to be a WR or TE but my school just co-oped with a different one so we don't even know who the head coach is going to be. people try and bulk up, i'm not really trying to do that.

i havent lifted much really in my life, so i need to get at least some for football. i dont wanna get huge though, just a little bigger than normal and then the three weeks or so of bball practices before actual games ill have some time to trim a little off to be back normal.

im actually not that big for my height. i dont have a whole ton of muscle either. kindof just average so my #1 goal is to gain muscle.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
ABPrints

Geandily, I am in no way berating you and feel overall the post was very good, just wanted to dispell some myths and give some input.

Quote:

I agree with the running, sprints and jumprope, this is a solid statement.

Quote:

Stretching does not necessarily prevent injury. Probably more important is weight training through an entire range of motion of the joints being used to ensure proper flexibility and mobility.

Quote:

Again, not true, higher reps does not equal more leaner...and actually, less weight done explosively is usually the way power is developed. All athletes want to do a wide range of rep and set combos depending on the time of the year, position, training age and goals.

Quote:

I agree to a point, better off stopping well before the degradation point, especially at a younger age.

Quote:

I agree with stretching after you workout, although some research is showing stretching before the warm up (dynamic warm up) may actually be beneficial. I found this statement about 20 years ago in the TV Guide and clipped it as I thought it was great. "Basketball is ballet, weightlifting, sprinting, high jumping, endurance running and hand-eye coordination." I agree with all but one point now, the endurance part.

Quote:

Yeah, I like this statement. Again, not putting you down so please don't take it that way...

Last edited by ABPrints : 04-02-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #6
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

i just finished the back/arms, and boy let me tell you; my biceps and triceps are sore as hell!
Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 AM   #7
ABPrints

Which day did you do intially?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:34 PM   #8
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

i started with the first workout monday and the second one wednesday.

im going to do the third one tomorrow.

im changing the exercises a little bit so i am more comfortable with them.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: