Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 03-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #61
AtomSmasher
Truth Seeker

Default Re: Cleveland Browns Official Offseason thread

browns made their first bad move off the offseason signing bet watson to a 3 year 12 million dollar contract.
AtomSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #62
Black Joker
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomSmasher
browns made their first bad move off the offseason signing bet watson to a 3 year 12 million dollar contract.
eh. i wish it came a little cheaper, but we needed a TE.
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #63
AtomSmasher
Truth Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
eh. i wish it came a little cheaper, but we needed a TE.
this guy can't even stay on the field though.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #64
Black Joker
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomSmasher
this guy can't even stay on the field though.
thats a worry... and with Heiden always being hurt too... maybe they can alternate weeks being injured
Old 03-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #65
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

The Browns just came to terms with Jake Delhomme. Quinn's career in Cleveland is over.

Quote:
Cleveland Browns sign quarterback Jake Delhomme to 2-year deal

CLEVELAND -- The Browns signed quarterback Jake Delhomme to a two-year deal, his agent Rick Smith confirmed for The Plain Dealer.

The offer was attractive enough for Delhomme, 35, that he canceled his scheduled trip to New Orleans, where he would've backed up Drew Brees. Terms were undisclosed.

Delhomme visited the Browns on Thursday, but left town without signing a contract.

Browns President Mike Holmgren told The Plain Dealer on Friday that he didn't promise Delhomme the starting job but that "he certainly has the potential to be the starter here.''

Delhomme, who's struggled since a bad playoff game in 2008, went 58-40 for the Panthers, including a Super Bowl berth and two NFC Championship games. He also made the Pro Bowl in 2005.

Holmgren said Friday that Brady Quinn's future "depends on what else we can do.'' A source told The Plain Dealer this week that Quinn would welcome a trade if the Browns weren't committed to him as their starter.

The Browns also traded for former Seattle backup quarterback Seneca Wallace last week.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde..._quarterb.html
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #66
scott0326
Local High School Star

Wow, browns stacking up on scrubs.
scott0326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #67
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0326
Wow, browns stacking up on scrubs.
Delhomme, Wallace >>>>>> Anderson, Quinn

This is the transition unit for this franchise. Obviously, Holmgren is more comfortable with this combination than the old one. I think that we all know that the Browns aren't going to compete for a SB or even the playoffs next year. We just need these guys to steer the ship while we build around them and hopefully bring in a guy that can learn while we wait.

The move makes a lot of sense to me.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:52 PM   #68
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Delhomme, Wallace >>>>>> Anderson, Quinn

This is the transition unit for this franchise. Obviously, Holmgren is more comfortable with this combination than the old one. I think that we all know that the Browns aren't going to compete for a SB or even the playoffs next year. We just need these guys to steer the ship while we build around them and hopefully bring in a guy that can learn while we wait.

The move makes a lot of sense to me.

Only March but whats the sportsmedia talkin about as far as NFL prospects go? Pretty sure Haden name is talked about alot given the position he plays, what Clevland needs. Any other prospects discussed outside of Haden or what moves Clevland should consider? Any players on the team you can see being cut/released in June? The latest on Brady Quinn? Any teams shown interest?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #69
Black Joker
College star

there is no possible way for anyone to sell me that this Delhomme signing was a good thing... in no way would i want Delhomme over Quinn, and i don't even like Quinn
Old 03-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #70
Scoooter
NBA sixth man of the year

I'm shocked they aren't giving Quinn a legit' shot.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #71
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
there is no possible way for anyone to sell me that this Delhomme signing was a good thing... in no way would i want Delhomme over Quinn, and i don't even like Quinn

I dont think you need to be convinced of that. But its not a bad signing. Veteran QB who only had one terrible season in his NFL career. Will he duplicate that terrible season or get back to the respectable ones he had previously? He left Carolina emotional so maybe he wants to prove they made a bad decision giving up on him after 1 bad year. Cheap, veteran stop gap QB? Not bad. New regime is confident in Delhomme/Wallace for stability at QB with experience. Gives them time to bring a young talent they feel is better than Quinn and groom him. This draft? Next draft? Unsure. If you erase last season by Jake out your mind and saw this signing could you honestly say you still feel the same way?

I'm not trying to convince you this was a great, good move. Just that it wasnt bad as you seem to think.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #72
Black Joker
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I dont think you need to be convinced of that. But its not a bad signing. Veteran QB who only had one terrible season in his NFL career. Will he duplicate that terrible season or get back to the respectable ones he had previously? He left Carolina emotional so maybe he wants to prove they made a bad decision giving up on him after 1 bad year. Cheap, veteran stop gap QB? Not bad. New regime is confident in Delhomme/Wallace for stability at QB with experience. Gives them time to bring a young talent they feel is better than Quinn and groom him. This draft? Next draft? Unsure. If you erase last season by Jake out your mind and saw this signing could you honestly say you still feel the same way?

I'm not trying to convince you this was a great, good move. Just that it wasnt bad as you seem to think.
i might be able to think about this signing rationally later, but as of right now, having lived in NC and watching Delhomme last year and in the playoffs the year prior, i just can't.

i mean, i looked at his stats, and if you throw out last year, he's been a fairly average QB, with a QB rating steadily in the 80s... it just, the terrible play on a team that had a very solid running attack and a WR like S.Smith, and thus didn't need him to be great, just a game manager... i don't know. it just pains me right now
Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #73
IBSports
Saw a basketball once

No one can ever tell how good someone will turn out the next season, but it's safe to say that delhomme is pretty washed up. He couldn't manage the game too well with arguably the best running tandum in the NFL supporting him last season, and the offensive cast of people in carolina is DEFINATELY better than the browns. He went from mediocre to awful, but once again you just don't know until the season starts. Kerry Collins a few seasons ago went from throwing picks and getting boo-d in the raiders stadium to taking Vince Young's spot, and leading the titians to twelve wins.
IBSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #74
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Broncos traded FB Peyton Hillis, a 2011 6th-round draft selection and a late-round 2012 pick to Cleveland for quarterback Brady Quinn.

Quinn is gone

Quote:
ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter first reported the deal, and a source told Schefter that Delhomme is scheduled to make $7 million this season, including just under $900,000 in base salary. With $12.7 million from Carolina, Delhomme will make $19.7 million in 2010.

lol Jake DelDAAAAMNE
Old 03-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #75
AtomSmasher
Truth Seeker

Hillis is a nice young fullback with a pretty nice skill set. He'll thrive in the WCO, mark my words Browns fans.

The Browns and Holmgren are really active, I really like what they're doing in this offseason...

They also just traded Kamerion Wimbley to the Raiders for undisclosed draft picks.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: