Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 02:36 AM   #46
bobbyflay
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 212
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
You're running miles? I guess that's one way to condition but me personally I try to stick to court drills because if you keep working on that mile you'll lose strength in the enlargement of slow twitch muscles. A mile is way too long, a basketball court is less than 100 feet. Even a conventional 40 is extra.

Nah, I'm not actually running miles as my training. Yeah, I heard of becoming less explosive if you run long distances, but I try to balance myself.

mini update: found out my shooting form was way too wrong. I have been shooting with two hands. No wonder there was so many in and outs.. I believe I have found my perfect shooting form though. From 3 feet away from the basketball, I could shoot 48/50 shots, while my old one was around 42/50.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #47
bobbyflay
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 212
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Update: I really REALLY need help with my basketball training schedule. All the training schedules I heard from people are way different. They practice moves they use in the game. Maybe I should do drills one day then alternate with practicing moves the next then alternate again.

Improvements:I guess I got stronger.. I corrected my shooting form. I can almost shoot free throws with it now.

Need Improvements: I need to hurry with getting used to my old shooting form. I'm not getting any better.. I need to change my basketball training schedule. It's way too much. I need to get better defence. I tend to give my opposition space. What I'm realizing though is that they are taking the jump shots because they know I'm not close enough to block it. I have to mix all my game into one and master it.

Summary:Negative: not getting any better(must rework my basketball skill training) Positive: corrected my shooting form before it was too late
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #48
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 292
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
Update: I really REALLY need help with my basketball training schedule. All the training schedules I heard from people are way different. They practice moves they use in the game. Maybe I should do drills one day then alternate with practicing moves the next then alternate again.

Improvements:I guess I got stronger.. I corrected my shooting form. I can almost shoot free throws with it now.

Need Improvements: I need to hurry with getting used to my old shooting form. I'm not getting any better.. I need to change my basketball training schedule. It's way too much. I need to get better defence. I tend to give my opposition space. What I'm realizing though is that they are taking the jump shots because they know I'm not close enough to block it. I have to mix all my game into one and master it.

Summary:Negative: not getting any better(must rework my basketball skill training) Positive: corrected my shooting form before it was too late

When you train, you should be trying your hardest to simulate a game situation. If you're not going to use the moves you're practicing, then don't bother practicing them. Do everything game speed from game spots.

Under "needs improvements": did you mean hurry to get used to your new shooting form? If so, don't hurry because when you change form you need to make sure you replicate it every time. Do not play pickup games or any kind of competitive game because usually you'll revert back to your old form and inconsistency will make it impossible to develop the new form.

Always play close to your man, but not close enough where he can blow by you. Rely on quick feet and anticipation. If you back off too much you're relying on his shot and with good scorers you can't do that.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #49
bobbyflay
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 212
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
When you train, you should be trying your hardest to simulate a game situation. If you're not going to use the moves you're practicing, then don't bother practicing them. Do everything game speed from game spots.

Under "needs improvements": did you mean hurry to get used to your new shooting form? If so, don't hurry because when you change form you need to make sure you replicate it every time. Do not play pickup games or any kind of competitive game because usually you'll revert back to your old form and inconsistency will make it impossible to develop the new form.

Always play close to your man, but not close enough where he can blow by you. Rely on quick feet and anticipation. If you back off too much you're relying on his shot and with good scorers you can't do that.

Yeah, I just realized that with Maga's helpful post. I was just doing drills in my workout, but not in game situations. No wonder I was failing hardcore in 5v5s. I guess I'll stop practicing every single move, but the moves that are useful to my style like euro step, crossover, in and out dribble, stutter step, and behind the back.

Yeah, it's hard not using my old form in pick up games. I get frustuated, because I can't even shoot from the range of free throws with it. I must hurry though, because basketball is starting in a couple of months.

Yeah, the people I play pick up with usually did layups. I started backing off and making them get around 25% on their layups. I guess I became one sided defense or something, so they started taking jump shots more often. I'll try recognizing the people I play with and the people I could play with and what should I do in those situations. I'll practice them in my training.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #50
bobbyflay
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 212
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Update: Oh yeah and when I mean if I can't make the shot it means I can't do a set shot. I'm making up a basketball workout each time so not good..I must create one soon or might as well combine them into one. I'm joining basketball next week. I can shoot free throw points but there on and off. Sometimes I just hit the rim 10 times in a row. Sometimes I just airball completely 5 times in a row. Sometimes I just swish 10 in a row.

Improvement:somewhat developing leadership qualities on the court. can shoot free throws on and off now.

need improvement:must get faster! must develop ultimate basketball training for myself. must watch more games.(can anyone send me a site where you can watch the stuff to learn in basketball besides youtube? all they have are nba all star games which are sloppy).

Summary:Negative:I must practice more consistently/rework schedule/improve everything about myself/ Positive: not really anything, I haven't practiced for a week
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #51
Maga_1
NBA rookie of the year
 
Maga_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,792
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
Update: Oh yeah and when I mean if I can't make the shot it means I can't do a set shot. I'm making up a basketball workout each time so not good..I must create one soon or might as well combine them into one. I'm joining basketball next week. I can shoot free throw points but there on and off. Sometimes I just hit the rim 10 times in a row. Sometimes I just airball completely 5 times in a row. Sometimes I just swish 10 in a row.

Improvement:somewhat developing leadership qualities on the court. can shoot free throws on and off now.

need improvement:must get faster! must develop ultimate basketball training for myself. must watch more games.(can anyone send me a site where you can watch the stuff to learn in basketball besides youtube? all they have are nba all star games which are sloppy).

Summary:Negative:I must practice more consistently/rework schedule/improve everything about myself/ Positive: not really anything, I haven't practiced for a week

You can see the world championship, its having great games and see ALL the teams .. everyone play a different style of playing ( don't see just the US).
www.livescorehunter.com
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #52
bobbyflay
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 212
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
You can see the world championship, its having great games and see ALL the teams .. everyone play a different style of playing ( don't see just the US).
www.livescorehunter.com

ahh alright. bookmarked it . First day of training today. It looks like I have to step up my game.. Most of the JV people were supposed to be in varsity, but they were held back until next year. Training isn't that hard though except for the jumping.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #53
bobbyflay
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 212
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Update:I must continue to find the ultimate training to do at home. No wonder basketball players only do training for a max of 2 hours or a little more..They're too tired from working out lol. I kept on procrasinating this past week. When I did try to train, I fell and hurt my ankle and limped for 2 days. When it healed, during a basketball game at a park, a freaking football was thrown right into my wrist and I had to make it heal for 2 days again. Now, I'm back in business baby.

Need Improvements:Everything for now.. Shots are way off for not training this past week and weights. My handles got ALOT worse from not training for 2 weeks on them and weights.

Improvements:Physically, there were none..Mentally, with my coach's words..I found new love in basketball again.

Summary:Negative:can't take this anymore, I'm going to make a schedule for basketball training that can balance my weight training/school work/basketball skills/ Positive:faith in basketball restored to a whole notha level
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #54
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 292
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
Update:I must continue to find the ultimate training to do at home. No wonder basketball players only do training for a max of 2 hours or a little more..They're too tired from working out lol. I kept on procrasinating this past week. When I did try to train, I fell and hurt my ankle and limped for 2 days. When it healed, during a basketball game at a park, a freaking football was thrown right into my wrist and I had to make it heal for 2 days again. Now, I'm back in business baby.

Need Improvements:Everything for now.. Shots are way off for not training this past week and weights. My handles got ALOT worse from not training for 2 weeks on them and weights.

Improvements:Physically, there were none..Mentally, with my coach's words..I found new love in basketball again.

Summary:Negative:can't take this anymore, I'm going to make a schedule for basketball training that can balance my weight training/school work/basketball skills/ Positive:faith in basketball restored to a whole notha level

Yeah, it's better to train harder/smarter than to train longer. You'll know you trained hard when it becomes impossible and inefficient to keep practicing.

Don't worry too much about finding the perfect training program. A lot of people (including myself before) spend too much time thinking instead of doing: is my form right? how should I crossover? is that a travel? am I jumping high enough?

They spend too much time worrying how they should be doing the drills, that they never do the drills themselves. Don't worry about form too much, pick one you like and feel comfortable with and stick with it. In a game, you don't have time to think about form so why bother worrying so much about it?
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #55
bobbyflay
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 212
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Yeah, it's better to train harder/smarter than to train longer. You'll know you trained hard when it becomes impossible and inefficient to keep practicing.

Don't worry too much about finding the perfect training program. A lot of people (including myself before) spend too much time thinking instead of doing: is my form right? how should I crossover? is that a travel? am I jumping high enough?

They spend too much time worrying how they should be doing the drills, that they never do the drills themselves. Don't worry about form too much, pick one you like and feel comfortable with and stick with it. In a game, you don't have time to think about form so why bother worrying so much about it?

Yeah, I guess your right. One hour before my practice, I would imagine the ingame situations I encountered today and counter it. I would also look at some videos. I do feel like warming up for 5 minutes and then practicing 15 minutes on drills/passing. Then I would work on my moves for 10-15 minutes. Then I would proceed to be doing 20-30 minutes on the shooting from everywhere this one poster said(It was very informed, something about them combining everything. Problem is that I can't do it all in 20 minutes. My backyard is a junkyard, so whenever I miss, it would send the ball 50 feet in a direction). Then I would do the ingame situations I struggled with today and some more for 20-30 minutes. Oh dang forgot freethrows, I would probably make 5-10 in between those drills. Wow, I just realized I created the workout I was looking. Thanks for making me blow out my thoughts LOL
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #56
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 292
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
Yeah, I guess your right. One hour before my practice, I would imagine the ingame situations I encountered today and counter it. I would also look at some videos. I do feel like warming up for 5 minutes and then practicing 15 minutes on drills/passing. Then I would work on my moves for 10-15 minutes. Then I would proceed to be doing 20-30 minutes on the shooting from everywhere this one poster said(It was very informed, something about them combining everything. Problem is that I can't do it all in 20 minutes. My backyard is a junkyard, so whenever I miss, it would send the ball 50 feet in a direction). Then I would do the ingame situations I struggled with today and some more for 20-30 minutes. Oh dang forgot freethrows, I would probably make 5-10 in between those drills. Wow, I just realized I created the workout I was looking. Thanks for making me blow out my thoughts LOL

Yeah not having a rebounder gets annoying, but sometimes there's nothing you can do. For free throws, to save time, do them at the end of the workout or whenever you feel exhausted. It's best to simulate them like a late 4th quarter situation where you're sore and tired. For me, I try and imagine as much pressure as I can, because this is practice and it'll help me when the real thing comes.

And yeah, make a plan and stick to it. You'll see the results and if not, just switch it up.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #57
bobbyflay
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 212
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Update:Wow alot of great players just joined recently. I need to really step up my game. Now I'm willing to train for 2 hours independently. There are these 2 really good point guards. I could be better than one of them if I trained for about an hour and 30 minutes each day(he has bad defence, bad arc, and several other things). The other guy... He has great arc(guess I could train my arc and beat him in that), fantastic shooting(shooting 50% my god and I'm around 30%), great defence(first day he came and he's already stopping a ballhog. The ballhog penetrates the defence really well.), and so many other things..

Need Improvements: I must perfect my shooting form(I'm starting to feel automatic randomly. It's like I'm making 5-10 shots in a row from any spot)/I must play better defence(For some reason, I became a bad defender again. They're penetrating more against me. I guess I have to be more aggresive now.)/I must develop more leadership(trying out for point guard so duh) and be a man(tried talking to the coach yesterday to get to know him and then he just started raging randomly and I just walked away)

Improvements: Rediscovered my passion yet again/shooting form is becoming perfect/none others

Summary: Well, I guess I have to try my best on the court now. I used to only stop when I couldn't breathe. Now, I just stop, because I'm too lazy for some reason.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #58
Birmingham1955
Dunking on everybody in the park
 
Birmingham1955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 602
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
Update:Wow alot of great players just joined recently. I need to really step up my game. Now I'm willing to train for 2 hours independently. There are these 2 really good point guards. I could be better than one of them if I trained for about an hour and 30 minutes each day(he has bad defence, bad arc, and several other things). The other guy... He has great arc(guess I could train my arc and beat him in that), fantastic shooting(shooting 50% my god and I'm around 30%), great defence(first day he came and he's already stopping a ballhog. The ballhog penetrates the defence really well.), and so many other things..

Need Improvements: I must perfect my shooting form(I'm starting to feel automatic randomly. It's like I'm making 5-10 shots in a row from any spot)/I must play better defence(For some reason, I became a bad defender again. They're penetrating more against me. I guess I have to be more aggresive now.)/I must develop more leadership(trying out for point guard so duh) and be a man(tried talking to the coach yesterday to get to know him and then he just started raging randomly and I just walked away)

Improvements: Rediscovered my passion yet again/shooting form is becoming perfect/none others

Summary: Well, I guess I have to try my best on the court now. I used to only stop when I couldn't breathe. Now, I just stop, because I'm too lazy for some reason.

Keep it up
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #59
bobbyflay
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 212
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Update:I combined my old training with steve nash's training, and it did wonders. I improved my shooting by around 5% or so from just one day. I have to be honest though. I thought I would do it everyday, but I only did it once in the 4 day period. 2 of the days I was tired and the other 2 I was lazy. I think I'll change it so mon/wednesday/friday/sunday is just working on ingame situations and tuesday/thursday/saturday is the real training. A flood of homework came from high school recently.

Need Improvements:Well, everything I stated from earlier.

Improvements:Nothing..

Summary:I need to balance school/basketball/video games/friends. This is just way too much for me to handle.

Oh yeah, another question How do you analyse a player's game?(im having a hard time doing that) and why did the tips stop coming?(I was looking through the forums for my old thread but it turned out this was the one. People probably stopped giving tips because they thought I made this into just a log).
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #60
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 292
Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
Update:I combined my old training with steve nash's training, and it did wonders. I improved my shooting by around 5% or so from just one day. I have to be honest though. I thought I would do it everyday, but I only did it once in the 4 day period. 2 of the days I was tired and the other 2 I was lazy. I think I'll change it so mon/wednesday/friday/sunday is just working on ingame situations and tuesday/thursday/saturday is the real training. A flood of homework came from high school recently.

Need Improvements:Well, everything I stated from earlier.

Improvements:Nothing..

Summary:I need to balance school/basketball/video games/friends. This is just way too much for me to handle.

Oh yeah, another question How do you analyse a player's game?(im having a hard time doing that) and why did the tips stop coming?(I was looking through the forums for my old thread but it turned out this was the one. People probably stopped giving tips because they thought I made this into just a log).

When I analyze a player's game I try and see the small things they do, like movement off ball. How much do they cut and are those cuts realistic or are they just going through the movements. Then on defense, if they box out or not and how long they stay on ball until they give up and call for help D.

On offense, I look at their fakes and how realistic those are. I also look at their visual cues like jabs and eye movements, to see if they're really trying to sell their defender a drive or a shot. If it's a drive, how close to the defender's body are they driving past? Or is it arcing away from the defender? Once they beat their defender, I try and see if they cut back in front of their defender to seal them out of the play and whether they look to make a play or try and score, and how controlled they appear to be.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

NBA Free Agency

NBA Summer Leagues

Utah Summer League

Sacramento Summer League

Vegas NBA Summer League

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy