Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
Nightwolf
Saw a basketball once

Default Michael Vick vs other Athletes in trouble

By now everyone should know about Michael Vick.

When comparing Michael Vick with other athletes in trouble such as Ray Lewis, Kobe Bryant, Danny Heatley...it seems Vick has gotten a lot more negative reactions both from the media and the fans.

But let's compare each of the crime they were accused of...

Michael Vick - Dog fighting
Ray Lewis - Perjury in a murder case
Kobe Bryant - Rape
Danny Heatley - Vehicular Homicide

Doesn't it seem like that out of all the crimes that each athlete was accused of, Vick's seems to be the least serious?

Why then is Vick getting so much negative attention? More so than other athletes accused of more serious crime?
Nightwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
go_blue
I rule the local playground

Default Re: Michael Vick vs other Athletes in trouble

how bout this match up bengals defence vs the rest of the league in trouble 8 players went to jail on the bengals during offseason
go_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

I honestly think the fact that Ray Lewis could bring justice to the murders of two individuals, but chooses not to because they are his friends, is far worse than what Vick has done.

At the same time I don't know all the facts about the Ray Lewis situation, but I can only imagine the way the victims families feel about Ray Ray.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
Gundress
Banned

How ignorant can you be. Less serious? Vick brutally murdered dogs! You cannot even compare the cases you cited as being even remotely close in nature to this. Dog fighting violates all the tenants of a civilized society. Many people have dogs and most love them dearly and then to have some loser come along hanging, electricuting, and drowning dogs is abhorring. You just don't get it.
Gundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundress
How ignorant can you be. Less serious? Vick brutally murdered dogs! You cannot even compare the cases you cited as being even remotely close in nature to this. Dog fighting violates all the tenants of a civilized society. Many people have dogs and most love them dearly and then to have some loser come along hanging, electricuting, and drowning dogs is abhorring. You just don't get it.

Put it this way...

Your mom gets murdered and Ray Lewis knows who did it, but won't
turn in his friend that killed your mom.

or

Vick takes your dog, trains it to fight, and then kills it. Along with severel of other dogs.

Sorry if I value Human life more than a dogs life.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Nightwolf
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundress

I'd accept your rant if you're a vegetarian.

But if you eat meat like normal people do...then SHUT THE HELL UP.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

I think people have grownsomewhat numb to the string of rape cases, murders, etc. I mean, it's unfourtunate that it's that way, but we live in a culture where these stories are thrown at our face 24 hours a day. Dogfighting is relatively new for the general public. They haven't become "numb" to it yet.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
Doomsday Dallas
Step 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
I think people have grownsomewhat numb to the string of rape cases, murders, etc. I mean, it's unfourtunate that it's that way, but we live in a culture where these stories are thrown at our face 24 hours a day. Dogfighting is relatively new for the general public. They haven't become "numb" to it yet.

Well said... It's still bad, but I think people underestimate
just what the hell Ray Lewis was guilty of.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
PrinceOthaPalace
I usually hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwolf
By now everyone should know about Michael Vick.

When comparing Michael Vick with other athletes in trouble such as Ray Lewis, Kobe Bryant, Danny Heatley...it seems Vick has gotten a lot more negative reactions both from the media and the fans.

But let's compare each of the crime they were accused of...

Michael Vick - Dog fighting
Ray Lewis - Perjury in a murder case
Kobe Bryant - Rape
Danny Heatley - Vehicular Homicide

Doesn't it seem like that out of all the crimes that each athlete was accused of, Vick's seems to be the least serious?

Why then is Vick getting so much negative attention? More so than other athletes accused of more serious crime?
good point but after all that happened to the other people we just didnt talk about it as much so i think that will happen with vick
PrinceOthaPalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

Many people hold dogs, along with kids, in higher regard than adult humans due to their "innocence" and inability to defend themselves against adult abuse.

Put an injured smelly, hairy 400 pound drunk next to a bin of injured cute puppies, and the puppies would get attention first. That's just the way it is.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
Gundress
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
Put it this way...

Your mom gets murdered and Ray Lewis knows who did it, but won't
turn in his friend that killed your mom.

or

Vick takes your dog, trains it to fight, and then kills it. Along with severel of other dogs.

Sorry if I value Human life more than a dogs life.

No. Put it THIS way:

Ray Lewis lied about knowing who committed a murder.

Mike Vick tested the aggression level of a group of dogs. He found their level of aggression to be...lacking. He then hung them by the neck until they eventually died...some of them. Those that just didn't die fast enough he cut down and, by hand, held their head under water until they drowned to death.

Which act is more heinous and disgusting?
Gundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:52 PM   #12
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Leonard Little kills someone drunk driving. Year later he is hit with another DUI.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #13
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Leonard Little kills someone drunk driving. Year later he is hit with another DUI.

Is he still in the league? Honestly, I have no idea..........
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:57 PM   #14
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I am surprised none of you brought up OJ Simpson... talk about a disappointment!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #15
Nightwolf
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
I am surprised none of you brought up OJ Simpson... talk about a disappointment!

The reason I didn't mention OJ Simpson was because despite his acquittal, the majority of the general public have marked him as guilty, and he is still being painted negatively and will likely be so for the rest of his life.

Lewis, Bryant, and Heatley have endured a relatively short period of the negative publicity and now is pretty much given a free pass like they were before. I hear talks of Vick's career being over and from the look of things, this will likely be true. Yet, those being accused of a more serious crime are still active today. Lewis, Bryant, nor Heatley, to the best of my recollection, were neither suspended by their team nor the league during their investigation or the trial. Yet Vick, despite the recent news that he is likely to plead guilty, have had all his connection to the NFL severed at a very early stage of this drama.

I hate Vick had done (if found guilty), and nothing will make me happier to see this a-hole in jail.

I just find this little tip bit interesting.

Last edited by Nightwolf : 08-21-2007 at 03:55 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: