Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Default 1992 Dream Team vs. 2008 Team USA - Who's Better?

I have been listening to my local sports radio station and they were arguing today about which team is "better" however you decide to define that. What is your opinion? State why you think the particular team is better and from what perspective you think it is better.

1992 Roster - "Dream Team"

Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Chris Mullin, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, John Stockton, David Robinson, Scottie Pippen, Clyde Drexler, Christian Laettner.

2008 Roster - Team USA

Kobe Bryant, Jason Kidd, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, Chris Paul, Tayshaun Prince, Michael Redd, Deron Williams.

National High School Star

Default Re: 1992 Dream Team vs. 2008 Team USA - Who's Better?

1992 because they have better players that play together well. USA 2008 is unproven talents.

1992 Dream Team is best basketball team of all time and will win majority of individual matchups

Banned

1992 would win imo due to having more veterans, smarter players overall, and a far better front line. They could also field the better defensive lineup out of the two teams if they needed to (Stockton/MJ/Pip/Malone/DRob -- good luck scoring against that lineup).

Banned

1992 and it isnt even close at all...

FIBA 2007 team is better then this team.

is this a joke?

Local High School Star

The difference between the '92 class and '08 class is the difference between Kobe and Rex Chapman.

Cornell Basketball=#1

I guess I should break it up by positions.

Point guards
    The 2008 squad probably has better point guard play, but only by technicality. Stockton had a broken leg during the 92 olympics that limited him to just 4 games, plus Magic was already sick. If both Stockton was 100% and Magic wasn't sick, I would take the 92 point guards easily.

Shooting Guards
    No brainer here. Jordan/Drexler/Mullen are easily superior to Bryant/Redd/Wade. In 1992, Drexler was in the middle of his prime, and Mullin had already cemented himself as one of the best shooters in NBA history.

Wings
    Harder to say. Pippen was in top notch form, but Bird was literally a shell of his former self. His smarts were the only thing that he had left. The question is whether Pippen could shut down James? Another good question to ask is whether Prince's versatility and physical ability would outweigh Bird's intangibles.

This is where the 1992 team completely and utterly outclasses the 2008 team. Both Robinson and Ewing were in their prime, both were all-NBA team, and both were all-NBA defensive team. Completely and utterly outclasses the center rotation of Howard and Bosh, particularly in the international game. The 1992 power forward rotation of Malone/Barkley was also superior to Anthony/Boozer. Again, two all-nba power forwards in their prime versus one very good power forward and another one who hasn't accomplished jack sh&t. Fortunately, establishing the post presence is fundamental towards winning games, so the 1992 team has the clear advantage here.

1991-1992 season:
    9 of the 12 players on the 1992 Dream Team were all-NBA selections. 5 of the 12 were all-NBA Defensive Team selections. 11 of the 12 were NBA all-stars that year. Their average age was nearly 30, many were veterans of deep playoff runs and NBA Championships.

2007-2008 season:
    6 of the 12 players were all-NBA selections. 4 of the 12 were all-NBA Defensive Team selections (though I can think of 2 that are questionable). 9 of the 12 were NBA all-stars that year. The team is also younger, and less experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    1992 and it isnt even close at all...
    Its been said that the 1992 team was the best collection of talent in any sport, and I agree.

I usually hit open layups SirLaker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iggy>
    is this a joke?
    My thinking exactly.

And Another One Killer_Instinct's Avatar

1992 without a doubt in my mind. Unless this team replicates what the '92 team did, this should not even be a disscusion.

Banned

The 2008 team hasn't won squat and remember how Kobe fares in the NBA finals when he got his 'dream team' support:

2004: Adding Malone and Payton - lost in NBA finals
    2008: Adding Gasol - lost in NBA finals

I say this team loses in the Olympic finals.

The 11th best player on the Dream Team would probably be a top 5-6 player on the 2008 squad.

That should give you an answer on which team is better.

And Another One Killer_Instinct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrianScalabrine
    The 2008 team hasn't won squat and remember how Kobe fares in the NBA finals when he got his 'dream team' support:

2004: Adding Malone and Payton - lost in NBA finals
    2008: Adding Gasol - lost in NBA finals

I say this team loses in the Olympic finals.

Believe it or not, Team USA has more players than Kobe Bryant, and is not about one guy. It's about a group of talented guys striving for the Gold medal and coming together to represent their Country. The fact guys like you continue to bring Kobe up in a time like this seems pretty gay. You'd rather USA lose because they have Kobe. Ask yourself if you are a true Basketball fan, or just an obbssed Kobe fanatic. It just so happens the only answer you can give truthfully is the saddest. Must be tough.

1992 is way better

Learning to shoot layups

A big difference with the 92 team is that it had Hall of Fame players like Bird that were willing to be role players. This year's team has to rely on players like Redd and Prince that are willing to accept not being a featured scorer. Prince hasn't even been an all-star even though he will be next year.