Banned

Default Will upgrading my internet from 15mbps to 20mbps really make a diferrenc

I got standard internet service from Time Warner cable which gives me 15mbps. I'm looking to upgrade it but would switching to turbo service which give 20mbps per scond really make a difference? If not, what speeds should I go for? My internet is such sh't right now, hard to play online games. Please helperino.

kings fan

Default Re: Will upgrading my internet from 15mbps to 20mbps really make a diferrenc

Not worth it at all. 15mbps download is overkill for video games, really. There's more to internet than mbps download.
    Last edited by cuad; 02-12-2014 at 01:53 AM.

Default Re: Will upgrading my internet from 15mbps to 20mbps really make a diferrenc

Completely worth it. 15mbps is just not enough for video games, really. It doesn't get more important than mbps. mbps is one of those numbers that the truly intelligent people keep track of.

Banned

Okay, now I'm even more confused than I was before.

kings fan

You can estimate the total mbps that you use. Type 'resource monitor' into the search bar on the start menu. Open the resource monitor up and click on the 'network' tab. The network tab gives you a list of some numbers you can add up.

1 byte = 8 bits, so 15 mbps = 15/8 mBps = 1.875 MBps = 1,875,000 Bps

Screenshot

The numbers under 'send' correspond to your upload speed and the numbers under 'receive' correspond to your download speed.

I'm receiving a total of 3,401 Bps, which is way less than 1,875,000 Bps, therefore upgrading from 15mbps to 20 mbps would be pointless.
    Last edited by cuad; 02-12-2014 at 01:28 AM.

I didn't feel like typing it out, but everything this person types on this answer is correct...again, not my answer...but what he says is correct...it's not all about how fast your internet connection is at all. People don't seem to get that. They automatically think more speed is better, or whatever else. When it's not about that at all.

For online gaming the two things that are most important are latency and upload speed.

Latency is the delay (ping time) in milliseconds that it takes the signal to travel to the server and back. The lower the number the better, but you'll definitely want a ping time of under 150 ms or you'll have major problems with online gaming. Ideally you want less than 75 ms ping to the gaming server.

Your connection may have to be routed through 15 or 20 hops (different locations) to reach the gaming server. Each server has a delay (latency) due to the distances that the signals must travel. Try to choose a closer gaming server to lower your ping time.

Upload speed also plays a factor in updating your player position data to the gaming server. Slow upload speeds can cause your online game to lag. The faster the better, but at least 0.5 Mbps would be my minimum recommendation.

Wireless connections are not good for systems used for online gaming. Wireless signals are affected by many factors including wall density, electrical interference, directional antenna range, etc.

Wireless connections also experience overhead involved in the transfer such as the encryption and decryption of the data used for wireless security.Your latency (ping) may be 30 ms and wireless interference could cause it to spike to 200 ms or more.

Your best bet is to use a Ethernet connection between your PC or game console and the router.

If it is not feasible to run cables you have other options such as powerline network adapters You plug one in by the router and one in the room where you need access and connect them to the devices with standard Ethernet patch cables. http://isp1.us/reviews/netgear-xavb2101-...

The network signals are transmitted over your existing home electrical wiring which will not be affected by wireless interference.

Good Luck...

Short answer: No, it will not. You wouldn't even really get a downgrade if you went down to 10mbps. It's not just your download speed, it's the upload speed of the server that matters.

To use an analogy, imagine you hook up a garden hose (your DL speed) to a water fountain (the upload speed of the site). It doesn't matter if you get a larger garden hose, the water (data) isn't coming out any faster from the other side.

Oh yeah, the other thing is that with cable, during times of heavy traffic, the connection gets split between multiple users. So upgrading to 20mbps might be marginally but barely better.

Banned

imo it won't make much of a difference, but if you really want to upgrade
    then I would suggest waiting for the 100mbps to be available and then look see which new rates/speeds is best for you. I heard each tier might get a slight speed boost too

Quote Originally Posted by Milbuck
    Completely worth it. 15mbps is just not enough for video games, really. It doesn't get more important than mbps. mbps is one of those numbers that the truly intelligent people keep track of.

Good High School Starter Out_In_Utah's Avatar

Here is a test. Does this run smoothly: