Default Calves ALWAYS cramp after ~1.5hrs of ball

So... basically, if I play ball for over an hour straight, nearing the 1.5 hr mark I guess, I start to get cramps in my calves whenever I jump. You know how if you're just sitting down, and you tense/flex your calves as hard as you can, sometimes they can get near to a "cramping" state? It's kind of like that. This happen to anyone else, and any suggestions?

Default Re: Calves ALWAYS cramp after ~1.5hrs of ball

Yup. Know the exact feeling, can be really frustrating I know.

Hyrdate a lot better leading up to playing. If you are playing ball in the evening you should be drinking a ton of water throughout the day. If you are playing in the morning make sure you hydrate well the night before.

Try eating a banana an hour before, I've always been told that that helps but I'm not nutrition expert so I can't really tell you why. Only times I've ever cramped have been when I've played for a long time with no water during or prior to playing, so I rarely run into this nowadays.

Used to get those BAD at night when I played a lot. Would literally wake up because of calf cramps. Now it seems like my feet only cramp up bad after playing. Seems like I get one every time I take my shoes off after balling for a while.

I am your soldier!

Holy shit, is oarabbus Bran?

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    Yup. Know the exact feeling, can be really frustrating I know.

Hyrdate a lot better leading up to playing. If you are playing ball in the evening you should be drinking a ton of water throughout the day. If you are playing in the morning make sure you hydrate well the night before.

Try eating a banana an hour before, I've always been told that that helps but I'm not nutrition expert so I can't really tell you why. Only times I've ever cramped have been when I've played for a long time with no water during or prior to playing, so I rarely run into this nowadays.
    yup water and potassium

You cramp because for a couple of reasons. 1 is that you aren't hydrated enough, and 2 is because your muscles are done. If you over exert yourself too much, your body just won't let you use those muscles anymore. I have a friend who has this same thing happen to him. It never happens to me because when I've been playing over an hour of bball... I'm no longer jumping or really trying lol.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Been having the same problem with my right shin. The pain is unbelievable after a few 5v5 games. I always have to stretch it and lay on the bench for 10 mins in order to get back to playing another game.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Holy shit, is oarabbus Bran?

I have been called LeBron when trying to quickly calf stretch after cramping

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Are you sure you just don't have shin splints? I used to get that back in the day in the start of a new season.

Maybe you're calves can't handle your body-weight atm? Are you in shape?

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Shit happens to me too. I don't like drinking water much while playing cause I feel like it slows me down and I simply just don't like the "full" feeling. I also rely on explosive cuts and jumping though so I may have just overworked my muscles too while being in only average shape.

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Are you sure you just don't have shin splints? I used to get that back in the day in the start of a new season.

Maybe you're calves can't handle your body-weight atm? Are you in shape?

I don't think they're shin splints... since it's in my calves not my shins. And I am in decent but not excellent shape. Still carrying a few extra pounds, I'd be in killer shape if I lost 10lbs or so to give you an idea.