Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops


Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2018, 12:20 AM   #16
LA Lakers
Made that high school varsity squad
 
LA Lakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Strong Beach, Ca.
Posts: 719
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Lonzo plays really good defense. I know itís partly his size advantage too but still. He can play defense. Iíd like to see Walton put this Lonzo, Hart, Lebron, Kuz and McGee lineup on the floor against some of the elite teams. Cuz they show promise but itís against a young suns team.
LA Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:21 AM   #17
bladefd
The Renaissance man
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Galaxy Far Far Away
Posts: 8,798
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Things we cleaned up:
3pt shooting
Ft shooting
Played great first 3 quarters. It fell apart last 3 minutes of 3rd quarter with LeBron on bench.


Hard to understand WHY we keep trying to play Kuzma at 5. KUZMA CANNOT PLAY CENTER even for 5 mins. He is a 3 naturally who can play 4 when LeBron is resting.

I also CANNOT understand why Lonzo and Rondo are in there together in crunch minutes. Pick one and keep the other on bench. I believe it should be Lonzo in there in crunch minutes because he is maybe our best overall defensive player. I would say it should be Lonzo, Hart, Kuz, LeBron, McGee. But Ingram I cannot count out. Maybe him when he returns. All depends on how they are playing that night.

KCP needs to be traded off the Lakers for a backup center. When Javale is resting or in foul trouble, we fall apart. Jonathan Williams, who wasn't even on our official depth chart until last Monday, is our backup center. Williams has been doing well, but idk if he is ideal. He is undersized..

Too many turnovers today. We were good until 4th quarter when we gave away the ball something like 6 or 7 times. I hope they study film of last 3 minutes of 3rd and 4th quarter. Saw sloppy mistakes. Turnovers are why we lost tonight imo.. We cannot have turnovers like Javale stepping out of bounds.. We have to clean up mistakes like these.

Need to cut out some of the heatcheck 3s. They kill momentum and our mojo. Occasionally it's fine. I would say Kuz does it more than he should. Need to be cautious there because it takes away high percentage 2s that we hit at around 50%!!

Last edited by bladefd : 10-28-2018 at 03:28 AM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #18
tamaraw08
College superstar
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,312
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
We need a post presence for when McGee is resting or in foul trouble more than anything..


Maybe a scrub or average team with lockjam at 4/5, who could use expiring contracts and future pick or 2, would be willing to do something like KCP/Beasley/picks..
Hawks with Dedmon or Alex Len
Nets with Kenneth Faried
Philly with Amir Johnson
Suns with Tyson Chandler
Kings with Kosta Koufos
Raptors with Greg Monroe

^ any of those could be valuable to Lakers. I would have to further look into their strengths/weaknesses to see how they fit. I don't know all of them..
No to Monroe, he's great on offense but very bad on defense. Koufos is too old and injury prone. Faried is too small, I don't think Sixers will let Amir go.
Chandler is good enough for 20 mins even if he's old.
Len is the youngest but looks ok, Dedmon is ok. The last 3 mentioned belong to teams that are tanking and can be had for a 2nd rounder IMO.
Luke is trying Jonathan Williams, He's quick and a hustler but he's too small at 6-9 inside the paint IMO.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:43 AM   #19
bladefd
The Renaissance man
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Galaxy Far Far Away
Posts: 8,798
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

1) Shot selection
2) Turnovers
3) Blocking out, positioning and the little stuff to get defensive rebounds

If we don't clean up those 3 things (especially 1 and 2), we are not making playoffs. Period.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:46 AM   #20
bladefd
The Renaissance man
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Galaxy Far Far Away
Posts: 8,798
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
No to Monroe, he's great on offense but very bad on defense. Koufos is too old and injury prone. Faried is too small, I don't think Sixers will let Amir go.
Chandler is good enough for 20 mins even if he's old.
Len is the youngest but looks ok, Dedmon is ok. The last 3 mentioned belong to teams that are tanking and can be had for a 2nd rounder IMO.
Luke is trying Jonathan Williams, He's quick and a hustler but he's too small at 6-9 inside the paint IMO.

Yeah, it's costing us big rebounds.. Lack of size also makes it hard to block out opponents from overpowering us for the rebound when McGee is resting. We need a trade for a backup center or Mo Wagner back very soon.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:32 AM   #21
tamaraw08
College superstar
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,312
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
1) Shot selection
2) Turnovers
3) Blocking out, positioning and the little stuff to get defensive rebounds

If we don't clean up those 3 things (especially 1 and 2), we are not making playoffs. Period.

All valid points but there are other disturbing stats.
Last year they were 12th best in defense rating. Now 23rd.
I think a lot of it is having that mindset of trying to run even BEFORE they secure the defensive rebound, leading to easy put backs. Most of the time, McGhee and ESP the back up center gets out of position.
3pt shooting, Lebron is shooting 24.4%, Kuzma at 28.9%, they combine for 9 3pt missed attempts per game.
I understand players get into a funk but they also sucked at FREE throw shooting at 25th worst.
The are losing badly in the last quarter where they can't execute properly.
I was hoping Luke would devise several good set plays with options and also know how to take away options for the opposing best players.
Most losses were inflicted by the opposing team's focal scorer. Lilliard, Butler, DeRozan twice, Harden.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #22
bladefd
The Renaissance man
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Galaxy Far Far Away
Posts: 8,798
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
All valid points but there are other disturbing stats.
Last year they were 12th best in defense rating. Now 23rd.
I think a lot of it is having that mindset of trying to run even BEFORE they secure the defensive rebound, leading to easy put backs. Most of the time, McGhee and ESP the back up center gets out of position.
3pt shooting, Lebron is shooting 24.4%, Kuzma at 28.9%, they combine for 9 3pt missed attempts per game.
I understand players get into a funk but they also sucked at FREE throw shooting at 25th worst.
The are losing badly in the last quarter where they can't execute properly.
I was hoping Luke would devise several good set plays with options and also know how to take away options for the opposing best players.
Most losses were inflicted by the opposing team's focal scorer. Lilliard, Butler, DeRozan twice, Harden.

Hopefully it is just growing pains..

All these games have been so damn close that just a minor improvement here or there and the results can change drastically. Something as simple as if LeBron stops missing those layups, and we could be talking whole new ball games..

I kind of want us to return to last year's style of rebounding. Everyone blocks out but the point-guard, and the point runs the court off the rebound. I know we had Lopez and Randle last year but I don't see why it wouldn't work this year.. I have seen that style this year. McGee has size, strength and length to block out. LeBron as well and Kuzma. Either Hart or Lonzo/Rondo can clean up the rebounds.

Also, I would prefer taking fewer 3s if it means we get the very high percentage 2s. I don't understand the modern nba mindset that you have to keep taking 3s to stay in games even if you are missing these shots. Statistically speaking, shooting 3s at 40% is equivalent to shooting 2s at 50%. If you can't hit 3s at 40% but you can hit 2s at 50%, then your best bet is to keep taking the 2s because they work out almost the same.. I understand it would force opponents to go into zone defense sets and start stacking the paint, but we still have decent midrange game to keep them on their toes.. We are averaging 4th best fg% in nba, not because of 3s but due to dominating paint scoring and midrange.

It also doesn't mean you don't take 3s.. Spread around the rock to the open man and take open 3s. Just minimal 3s off-the-dribble, no dribble dribble dribble 3s ala LeBron.. I don't want to see that crap from LeBron/Kuzma. Don't force the issue..

It took monumental performance from Twolves from 3pt line, hitting 3 after 3, just to beat us by 4. But we also didn't help things by wasting our possessions on garbage 3s while being heavily defended and long-range low-percentage 2s. You drive into the paint or take more higher percentage 2s or even 3s through extra passing.. You put even more pressure on the Twolves to hit even more 3s. At some point, they will run out of ammo. These are not the Warriors who you can't get into that type of game with. It's the Twolves..

I also hope Magic is working the phones for a backup to McGee.. God forbid if McGee gets an injury?? We are done for.. We need a backup center fast.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:29 PM   #23
bladefd
The Renaissance man
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Galaxy Far Far Away
Posts: 8,798
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Mo Wagner is back btw.. Active.. Good sign!

I hope he can provide 20mpg at some point. Keep McGee's minutes down in high 20s so he is not exhausted out there.. Jonathan Williams may also be useful in short bursts for energy purposes when Mo gets into foul trouble or isn't playing well.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #24
bladefd
The Renaissance man
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Galaxy Far Far Away
Posts: 8,798
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Posted this in general forum.. Probably more applicable here..

I have a gut feeling that 1 of Kuzma or Ingram will be getting traded over the summer. I feel like it will be Ingram if he doesn't get his head in the game. I don't know who it would be for, but it might be on the horizon for an established star.

Trying to guess what position it could be for, these are locked in positions for the next 4 years minimum:
c-
pf- LeBron
sf- Kuzma or Ingram
sg- Hart
pg- Lonzo

I would put Hart in italics because he is not guaranteed to stay but he is there by default. Hart has the mindset and talent to become a great 6th man too. So ultimately that leaves center and shooting guard as the biggest needs for Lakers in long-term picture. Who could that be?

I expect Lakers to go after Kawhi and Klay, hoping to land just 1 of them on a big deal. Both can play sg so it makes me suspect that McGee is under the lenses for Magic and Pelinka. They want to know 'Can he be a long-term viable center in Lakers system?' If not then it's possible Lakers use either Kuzma or Ingram as a chip to trade for another very good long-term center over the summer.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:12 AM   #25
tamaraw08
College superstar
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,312
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
Hopefully it is just growing pains..

All these games have been so damn close that just a minor improvement here or there and the results can change drastically. Something as simple as if LeBron stops missing those layups, and we could be talking whole new ball games..

I kind of want us to return to last year's style of rebounding. Everyone blocks out but the point-guard, and the point runs the court off the rebound. I know we had Lopez and Randle last year but I don't see why it wouldn't work this year.. I have seen that style this year. McGee has size, strength and length to block out. LeBron as well and Kuzma. Either Hart or Lonzo/Rondo can clean up the rebounds.

Also, I would prefer taking fewer 3s if it means we get the very high percentage 2s. I don't understand the modern nba mindset that you have to keep taking 3s to stay in games even if you are missing these shots. Statistically speaking, shooting 3s at 40% is equivalent to shooting 2s at 50%. If you can't hit 3s at 40% but you can hit 2s at 50%, then your best bet is to keep taking the 2s because they work out almost the same.. I understand it would force opponents to go into zone defense sets and start stacking the paint, but we still have decent midrange game to keep them on their toes.. We are averaging 4th best fg% in nba, not because of 3s but due to dominating paint scoring and midrange.

It also doesn't mean you don't take 3s.. Spread around the rock to the open man and take open 3s. Just minimal 3s off-the-dribble, no dribble dribble dribble 3s ala LeBron.. I don't want to see that crap from LeBron/Kuzma. Don't force the issue..

It took monumental performance from Twolves from 3pt line, hitting 3 after 3, just to beat us by 4. But we also didn't help things by wasting our possessions on garbage 3s while being heavily defended and long-range low-percentage 2s. You drive into the paint or take more higher percentage 2s or even 3s through extra passing.. You put even more pressure on the Twolves to hit even more 3s. At some point, they will run out of ammo. These are not the Warriors who you can't get into that type of game with. It's the Twolves..

I also hope Magic is working the phones for a backup to McGee.. God forbid if McGee gets an injury?? We are done for.. We need a backup center fast.

I am not sure we you got your math that 40% from 3pt area = 50% FG
You can simplify it by if a team takes 10 3's and hit 40%, that generates 12 pts as compared to only 10 pts if you hit 50% of 10 regular FG attempts.
If you take 20 3's at 40%, that generates 24 pts, = 4 extra points.
So, if you can just hit 35% of 100 3's= 105 pts still 5 extra points than 50% of 100 regular shots.
Actually the Lakers are not the worst in 3pt accuracy, they are actually 5th in team EFG% but they are very bad, mostly bottom 3rd in team defense and rebounding % BOTH at 23rd worst.
Kuzma has the 2nd most minutes but only grabs about 1 defensive reb/quarter.
And Yes I am with you with Kuzma being too trigger happy.
Yes, they should gang rebound but most of them are leaking out to get easy shots.
It will be interesting if they will stick to these tall perimeter line up vs the short back court of Portland. If they postup more, their pace will slow down, im not sure it's a bad thing. Lebron has never played with this break neck pace and yes it's also tiring out their LONE LEGIT CENTER
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:56 AM   #26
bladefd
The Renaissance man
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Galaxy Far Far Away
Posts: 8,798
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
I am not sure we you got your math that 40% from 3pt area = 50% FG
You can simplify it by if a team takes 10 3's and hit 40%, that generates 12 pts as compared to only 10 pts if you hit 50% of 10 regular FG attempts.
If you take 20 3's at 40%, that generates 24 pts, = 4 extra points.
So, if you can just hit 35% of 100 3's= 105 pts still 5 extra points than 50% of 100 regular shots.
Actually the Lakers are not the worst in 3pt accuracy, they are actually 5th in team EFG% but they are very bad, mostly bottom 3rd in team defense and rebounding % BOTH at 23rd worst.
Kuzma has the 2nd most minutes but only grabs about 1 defensive reb/quarter.
And Yes I am with you with Kuzma being too trigger happy.
Yes, they should gang rebound but most of them are leaking out to get easy shots.
It will be interesting if they will stick to these tall perimeter line up vs the short back court of Portland. If they postup more, their pace will slow down, im not sure it's a bad thing. Lebron has never played with this break neck pace and yes it's also tiring out their LONE LEGIT CENTER

You are right, 2 points matters. I get that, but you still have to hit 3s at 40% for it to matter. If you are not hitting 3s close to 40% but you are hitting 2s at 50%, you will be better off focusing on taking 2s for higher percentage shots.

As for Ingram starting at 2, he publicly declared the day he was back from suspension he will not come off the bench. I think that had a big impact on him starting. Luke probably doesn't want to get into a feud over that with him. He knows Hart won't make a fuss whether he is starting or not so Luke probably decided to defuse the situation by starting Ingram at the 2. Just my own observation and nothing else
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:02 AM   #27
EllEffEll
Local High School Star
 
EllEffEll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Laker Bandwagon Since 1963
Posts: 1,325
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

The way I see it, the Lakers are 'climbing the mountain' to try to get the team playing 'the right way'. I see LeBron deferring when he could be taking charge. He needs for the rest of the team to assert themselves as a matter of habit so it doesn't turn into 'stand around and wait for LBJ to take over' in crunch time.

It will take time for them to get the system clicking and to learn how to close out the game in the 4th quarter. The down side to losing now is that playoff seeds are at stake. The further down they finish and the more likely they will be to face the better teams early in the playoffs.

I don't expect a championship this year, and I want the top FA's to see the potential of the Lakers being a great spot for them to land for next season.

Player development didn't mean as much when the top FA's would touch the Lakers with a ten foot pole (during the Jim Buss era), but it should be their main focus for this year IMHO.

All things considered, I like a lot of what I see on the court (and it's been a WHILE since you have seen that sentiment from me).
EllEffEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #28
tamaraw08
College superstar
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,312
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
You are right, 2 points matters. I get that, but you still have to hit 3s at 40% for it to matter. If you are not hitting 3s close to 40% but you are hitting 2s at 50%, you will be better off focusing on taking 2s for higher percentage shots.

As for Ingram starting at 2, he publicly declared the day he was back from suspension he will not come off the bench. I think that had a big impact on him starting. Luke probably doesn't want to get into a feud over that with him. He knows Hart won't make a fuss whether he is starting or not so Luke probably decided to defuse the situation by starting Ingram at the 2. Just my own observation and nothing else

But like I said, per math, Lakers would still be ok even if they just hit 35% from the 3 than 50% of their 2pt shots (33.1pts>30pts) every 30 attempts.
Lilliard, Butler(career 34%) etc wouldn't even shoot that much if they are pressured to hit 40% but the bottom line is that their coaches feel it's worth the risk and this help them beat the Lakers.
About Ingram, the suspension set them back as Lebron and Ingram were still trying to work together with James feeding the ball to Brandon at certain sweet spots.
But now, I understand BI is the 2nd best in terms of creating/initiating the offense esp when James sits. I just want to know the first 5 mins vs Portland, will they slow down and post up the small back court to death?
The problem is their space issues. Also, by rim running, it negates Nurkic from wreaking havoc inside.
I say, start with posting up, then pull out Ingram after 5 minutes and insert Hart. Luke then at the end first quarter rest James with BRandon so he can initiate the offense. Lakers will have to expose Lillard and CJ at defense.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #29
bladefd
The Renaissance man
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Galaxy Far Far Away
Posts: 8,798
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Some basic schedule analysis I posted in a general forum post..

Schedule has been rough so far.

Spurs twice
Houston
Portland 2nd time tomorrow
Denver
Twolves

^ all of them were topnotch teams last season, all are pretty much intact with same personnel and coaching. Only Suns and Dallas were scrub teams last season but both improved- we beat them both as we should..

Season gets bit easier after first week of November ends- after Nov 10th..
Kings, Atlanta, Magic twice, Cavs, Miami, Mavericks.. These are all winnable games. Don't be surprised if we win 5-6 of them and get to .500.

December is not too bad either..
Suns, Memphis twice, Miami, Hornets, Wizards, Nets, Kings twice .. All winnable games.. Good enough to hold at few games over .500...

January is brutal schedule where we might again drop, barely hover around .500..
February is brutal too..

March has decent schedule, hopefully will get us back to a few games over .500 back to our December trajectory.. April is brutal too but short month of 5 games. Those teams will be resting preparing for playoffs so might be able to steal couple games there..

In conclusion:
We must do well in 2nd half of November and December. January/February will test what we are made of, and I don't want us desperate for wins going into that 2 month hell schedule.. We need to be a couple games over .500 going into January or we are toast. March is a respite thankfully if we can get there intact and have built team chemistry to finish strong with a playoff push.. I almost feel like it was intentional respite for that playoff push right when we should be clicking on all cylinders - don't be surprised to see a couple 3-4 game win streaks in March..

Last edited by bladefd : 11-02-2018 at 04:57 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #30
bladefd
The Renaissance man
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Galaxy Far Far Away
Posts: 8,798
Default Re: Lakers General Discussion Thread: October, November and December games

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
No to Monroe, he's great on offense but very bad on defense. Koufos is too old and injury prone. Faried is too small, I don't think Sixers will let Amir go.
Chandler is good enough for 20 mins even if he's old.
Len is the youngest but looks ok, Dedmon is ok. The last 3 mentioned belong to teams that are tanking and can be had for a 2nd rounder IMO.
Luke is trying Jonathan Williams, He's quick and a hustler but he's too small at 6-9 inside the paint IMO.

We got Chandler once he clears waivers

Quote:
After receiving a buyout in Phoenix on Saturday, Suns center Tyson Chandler will sign with the Los Angeles Lakers once he clears waivers, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski and the New York Times’ Mark Stein.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/tyson-cha...221540513.html

He will provide 15 solid minutes per game. It will allow Mo Wagner to work his way into our lineup.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Daily Roundup

NBA Scores

NBA Stats

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

Fantasy Basketball

Basketball Sneakers

Search Site

STAY CONNECTED
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy