Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-12-2019, 11:03 PM   #31
PullupJay
Success

Default Re: Anyone on this board truly into fitness that can give dietary/workout advice?

PullupJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:10 PM   #32
tontoz
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Anyone on this board truly into fitness that can give dietary/workout advice?

I have been going to the gym for decades but had a bad diet. In the fall a few years ago my weight got up to 220 so i finally had to do something about my diet.

First thing is to cut down on worthless carbs. If you look at what you eat every day you might be surprised how many carbs you are eating. Typical snack foods, bread, pasta, sweet .... etc you need to cut down but it is hard to eliminate them completely.

An old friend of mine lost 60 pounds solely through diet. He used to order extra pickles when he went out to eat which i thought was odd. However pickles taste good and have basically no calories or carbs.

Maybe twice a week i would go maybe 8 hours without eating anything. It throws off your internal clock so you won't get as hungry at meal times

My old breakfast was oatmeal and a granola bar. Sounds ok right? 90 carbs lol. Now i have a hard boiled egg and protein bar (BSN syntha 6 protein crisp. They actually taste good, not hard to chew at all with low sugar/carbs.) For lunch i will eat lunchmeat without the bread, pickles and yogurt. Dinners are typically chicken or fish, rice and veggies.

It took me a few months to go from 220 to 190.

For cardio the last few years i have been using a Cybex Arc trainer. It is similar to an eliptical but far more effective. Very high calorie burn and no impact. Most gyms have a handful of them but you have to look. They don't stand out from the other machines.

Dam just reread the original post. You are 6'8? Wow 220 isnt bad then lol. I am 6'2.

Last edited by tontoz : 11-12-2019 at 11:14 PM.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:30 PM   #33
CelticBaller
The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammichoffate
it somehow autocorrect whey in to weight

but yeah vegan proteins don't have estrogen in them. Estrogen causes manboobs in some men
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:45 AM   #34
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBaller
it somehow autocorrect whey in to weight

but yeah vegan proteins don't have estrogen in them. Estrogen causes manboobs in some men
Are you talking about soy protein? Whey doesn't usually have much soy, if any, as an ingredient. Soy isn't inherently bad either unless that's all you eat for an entire week.
sammichoffate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:18 PM   #35
eliteballer
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontoz
I have been going to the gym for decades but had a bad diet. In the fall a few years ago my weight got up to 220 so i finally had to do something about my diet.

First thing is to cut down on worthless carbs. If you look at what you eat every day you might be surprised how many carbs you are eating. Typical snack foods, bread, pasta, sweet .... etc you need to cut down but it is hard to eliminate them completely.

An old friend of mine lost 60 pounds solely through diet. He used to order extra pickles when he went out to eat which i thought was odd. However pickles taste good and have basically no calories or carbs.

Maybe twice a week i would go maybe 8 hours without eating anything. It throws off your internal clock so you won't get as hungry at meal times

My old breakfast was oatmeal and a granola bar. Sounds ok right? 90 carbs lol. Now i have a hard boiled egg and protein bar (BSN syntha 6 protein crisp. They actually taste good, not hard to chew at all with low sugar/carbs.) For lunch i will eat lunchmeat without the bread, pickles and yogurt. Dinners are typically chicken or fish, rice and veggies.

It took me a few months to go from 220 to 190.

For cardio the last few years i have been using a Cybex Arc trainer. It is similar to an eliptical but far more effective. Very high calorie burn and no impact. Most gyms have a handful of them but you have to look. They don't stand out from the other machines.

Dam just reread the original post. You are 6'8? Wow 220 isnt bad then lol. I am 6'2.

Lunchmeat is terrible for you.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:19 PM   #36
eliteballer
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogon
I've never had abs in my entire life... even when I was 190 lbs(6'8") with pretty damn good cardio there was nothing but flab. Skinnyfat, as they say. Right now I'm 220. It's something I'd like to make happen before I die.

I've been hitting the weights for a while now but it's pretty clear my diet is the biggest problem.

There's just so much information/misinformation/conflicting information that it's totally overwhelming and it's just like... like what the ****?

Basically... what EXACTLY do I need to eat, and what exercises do I need to do...

Do I just need to go pay a nutritionist or something? This is not a topic that I'm particularly fond of trying to wade through the bullshit with, to be perfectly blunt.

Why don't you lay out your diet.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:04 AM   #37
kuniva_dAMiGhTy
NBA Legend

Drink 3 liters of water daily.

Incorporate intermittent fasting. 16/8 is ideal. As you progress try 17/7, 18/6, 19/5, 20/4 etc. I did most of my fasting when sleeping ie. skipped breakfast. If you can't do this everyday don't worry about it. It helps A LOT but your diet overall is most important.

Eat 0.8-1 gram of protein per body weight. Lean meat/protein preferably. Drink A LOT of water to give your kidney's a rest.

Limit shitty carbs. AKA refined garbage. Eat lots of vegetables. Dark greens preferably, but vegetables that are generally high in fiber. Your bowels will thank you.

Get your healthy fats in. Nuts. Eggs. Cheese. Avocados. Salmon (also high in Omega 3's which are awesome for your heart and brain).

Incorporate all of that and pickup some weights. Compound lifts, a weight-training program. Whatever. Do something and stick with it. When your body is used to the movement. And your workouts feel "easy"? Switch it up. Add some cardio in there too. Try to get at least 3 hours of exercise a week for optimal results. I'm talking mental and physical here. If you're sedentary and this is the ONLY exercise you're going to get? I'd also recommend using a TDEE calculator. Type your height, weight and the amount of hours you plan to workout weekly. It'll output your daily calorie intake. And macros too (proteins/fats/carbs).

A few years back, I lost over 20 kilos doing this. And have kept it off since. I also take a multi vitamin. Your micronutrients are vital for your health. Don't worry about cheat meals btw. You can have them frequently long as your tracking your progress...and can fit them in.

Have at it.
kuniva_dAMiGhTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #38
jstern
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
haha, yknow I don't think I'd really enjoy playing in the NBA. When I was a kid, I was like yea I wish I was like 6'8 then I could probably make the nba (dreams, but who knows, I found a way to do a bunch of other wild shit.)

Now, I dunno... I'd like to be like 6'3 or 4 tho. Tall but not like tall to the point where it starts affecting your health and impacting like where you can sleep, what kinda car you can drive etc. Altho re: health, I dunno if I believe all of that height related health/longevity garbage or not.

-Smak

I think I'm willing to trade 20 years off my life to be 6'8". But yeah, right now, 6'4" sounds like a good height as an adult.
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #39
diamenz
Good college starter

some of u guys r overthinking this. op is just jumping into the game - he doesn't need rocket science to get newbie gainz. just keep adding weight to your squats, deads, bench and pulls and eat more than ur usually daily intake. especially protein. work hard, but take proper time to rest.

ez.

i should say tho, once u develop a routine, stick to it. otherwise you're just wasting your time.

Last edited by diamenz : 11-14-2019 at 04:28 PM.
diamenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #40
Rooster
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammichoffate
You need to bulk hard OP, you sound like a fking twig. https://thefitness.wiki/routines/str...scle-building/

Pick a heavy compound movement program, stick with it for at least 3 months.
Squat/Deadlift/Bench are the holy trinity, pullups+rows are awesome for upper back. For abs do weighted planks/hanging leg raises/standing cable crunches. The key is heavy weight and progression each week so your muscles will go through hypertrophy.

Google a calorie calculator, figure out your tdee, then add 500-1000 to it for each week. For the love of god, measure what you're eating. It doesn't matter what you eat, just measure it. You want at least 0.8g/lb of your goal bodyweight for protein. So 250lbs would be 200g protein a day for example.

Cut once you're happy with your muscle gains, about 500-1000 a week. Cardio can accelerate this process by burning more calories.

It's not that fking complicated.

Good advice except adding 200-300 calories a day is the optimal for muscle gains. Hes like a twig so I agree he should worry about cutting later and get that abs.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #41
eliteballer
5-time NBA All-Star

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Cut.../dp/1476716714
Old 11-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #42
red1
raptors

if you're truly serious OP then get into the habit of baking chicken in volume, can be anything you like thighs breasts drumsticks, whatever.

and then add avocados spinach and olive oil into your diet replacing bread and processed foods with those foods.

then create a full body routine, chest and back one day, legs one day, shoulders, and then core/anything you missed. so that's 4 workouts, try to hit the gym 3-4 times a week.

you'll see results in no time.
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #43
PullupJay
Success

Diet: Lean protein,Good fats,Complex carbs,Greens.

Work out: Progressive overload add a rep,weightor set the next work out session to that exerisize ,Learn about different muscle fibers,time under tension,Periodization
, learn the concepts and utylize

Cut out junk food

learn about anobolic vs catabolic

set goals

Do some cardio

Drink water . make sure ur hydrated properly before a workout

Deload week every 8th week

information
knowledge
experience
wisdom

try different workout routines. there is no right or wrong.
right or wrong is for proper form. dont stress your cns too much. dont train till failure. dont neglect legs

stick with compound movements for the fundemental movements
isolation is ok too but each workout should have atleast 2 compound movement exercises for 4 sets each.

take what i say with a grain of salt
Old 11-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #44
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

OP no where to be found.

Hes applying all this good ISH advice!

Well done boys. Well done!
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #45
PullupJay
Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullupJay
a rare pic of myself and OP :)
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: