Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
embersyc
Lurker

Default Dumars was gonna take Walter Sharpe at 29.

http://truebluepistons.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Joe Dumars was smiling like a guy who knows something about Walter Sharpe that nobody else knows. He watched “a ton of tape” on him and brought him in to work out, holding him over for a second day.

“He’s good, man, he’s good,” Dumars said. “Handles it, shoots it, long and smooth.”

Dumars said Sharpe will be a small forward in the NBA, though he was playing out of position at UAB as a power forward.

As for Sharpe's history of off-court trouble - arrested for disorderly conduct, academically inelgible, shot two years ago though it appears he was an innocent victim - Dumars said almost all of it traces to the narcolepsy only recently diagnosed. He said Sharpe is now on medication and that "he says it's changed his life." Dumars said he's talked to "more people in Alabama than I care to remember" and is perfectly convinced Sharpe has a firm grip on his life now.

Dumars was prepared to take him at 29 when Seattle called and wanted to trade up to get D.J. White. Dumars saw it as an opportunity to get the guy he wanted and pick up and extra pick in the deal. He also said he knew of two teams preparing to trade up to take Sharpe.

He also says, the other two guys, Trent Plaisted and Deron Washington, were only picked because they agreed to play in Europe next season, and that they didn't want DJ White because his game is 'just like Maxiell'.

Still don't know what to think, but I trust Dumars picking an unknown guy at 32, he seems to find under-the-radar guys with those late picks.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Detroit
Don't like me? SCRAP!

Default Re: Dumars was gonna take Walter Sharpe at 29.

he is right though, dj white is under sized for his position and so is maxiell. hopefully the new guy works out, and doesn't get into any off court trouble.
Detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

who the hell is walter sharpe
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
flintstone
Good High School Starter

I guess that they had Sharpe in for some workout time...and even had him stay over for a longer look. My understanding is that he's a gamble, because of some health, and other issues....but a freaky good player at times.

Trading the late first round, for an extra second round, was the smarter odds gamble I guess......considering how we had only the 29th pick in that round going in.
flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend

I think it's hilarious that Sharpe has narcolepsy.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
flintstone
Good High School Starter

Dumars said he wanted to be sure he saw what he thought he did -- a talented, smooth, skilled small forward who can handle the ball like a guard....the reason they kept him for two days.

"He's good," Dumars said. "He's really good. ... This is not just an automatic D-League guy."

Maybe this guy can give Prince some rest next season?

Last edited by flintstone : 06-27-2008 at 12:42 PM.
flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: